Old 28-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Best DSLR for astrophotography

The thread just below this one is on the best lens for AP so I figured I ask what the best DSLR on the Mather right now is.

I have a Nikon D700 which is OK, I wouldn't go further than OK. A 12mp full frame lacks a lot of resolution for wide field, has pretty sad Ha sensitivity and is reasonably noisy. It was very good for when it came out but newer cleaner sensors put it to shame.

I personally put the Nikon D810a at the top of the list but having never used any DSLR other than the one I have, it is purely from "on paper" research.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:57 AM
glend (Glen)

Might be a cheeky response but the ZWO ASI1600 cooled in either colour or mono would be a great choice for your scope and would cost less than many dslrs (which do not offer cooling). You have seen the images they produce.
Old 28-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Might be a cheeky response but the ZWO ASI1600 cooled in either colour or mono would be a great choice for your scope and would cost less than many dslrs (which do not offer cooling). You have seen the images they produce.
Cannot disagree with you there but I do LOVE the real estate of a FX sensor. The ASI1600 being a 4/3 it is not even an APS-C
Old 28-10-2016, 08:18 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I think Glen's response is fair these days.

If you can afford only one camera and need to use it for more than astrophotography, then a DSLR could be the way to go. But you're so hampered with a DSLR compared to the ASI1600, etc.

And I wonder, for the price of the higher end DSLR, could you "compromise" and get the ASI1600 and maybe a lesser camera instead?
Old 28-10-2016, 09:16 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Cannot disagree with you there but I do LOVE the real estate of a FX sensor. The ASI1600 being a 4/3 it is not even an APS-C
Colin, ASI have just released their colour APS-C cooled camera, the ASI071MC, which i believe uses the Sony IMX071 sensor. It is under beta test now, and there is a thread on CN about that. Cooling to -40C, and heated sensor window. Same sensor used in the Nikon D5100 i believe.