Old 27-04-2010, 06:08 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Looking for guineapigs

Hi all,

First post, but I'm a longtime IIS lurker.

I know this isn't the proper forum for introductions, so I'll keep it on-topic ;

In my quest to build a sub-shoestring budget astrophotography rig, I've been building my own interfaces and writing my own tracking and processing software. I view the skies from my inner-city Melbourne backyard and needless to say, light pollution is a huge problem.

Because I haven't been able to afford a proper filter (did I mention I was on a sub-shoestring budget?), I looked for software that could perform the same task. Because I couldn't find any free or open-source software, I wrote my own, according to how I thought something like that would work.

When it first ran properly, I was amazed at the results; not only did it get rid of the light pollution and vignetting, it brought out significant more detail than the 'final result' images from 2 PixInsight's DBE tutorials, which were even further photoshopped after the DBE.

So, for a sanity check, I was wondering if someone would be my guinea pig and give me their 'best' final image. I'd like to see if that person also thinks running my algorithm over their image is an improvement.

I've been trying out my program on some of the (often amazing!) images from IIS members, with some great results. I'd just like to have a second pair of eyes to make sure I'm not fooling myself!

The rule is, I can only tweak the 3 command line parameters my Linux program takes; no further post processing.

Any takers for my experiment?

Ivo
Old 28-04-2010, 03:49 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Hi Ivo welcome to iis sounds interesting what you are doing i will send you two finished imagesthat you can try if you like.
Alan
Old 28-04-2010, 05:07 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Much appreciated Alan and thanks for the welcome!

I sent you an e-mail with some details. Funny thing is; I've already been using some of your images to test with!
Old 21-05-2010, 08:26 AM
irwjager (Ivo)

I just released StarWipe.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=61391

Thanks to all the guinea pigs!

Ivo