Old 14-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

Canon 20D and Win7 64bit

I recently swapped computers from Win XP to Win 7 64 bit but now I'm struggling to connect my Canon 20D to it. I could not find a good solution on the internet. Most of the solutions are for downloading images but I want to drive the camera. Has anyone been able to make it work?
Old 15-11-2014, 04:48 AM
hobbit

lightroom 4.1 supports the 20D for tethered shooting. Should also working in capture one although it's not officially supported.
Old 15-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

To clarify, I use programs like APT to control the camera. With WinXP I had a twain driver to recognise the camera. However, with Win 7 64-bit I can't find any driver.
Would Lightroom 4.1 have this support?
Old 15-11-2014, 02:45 PM
SteveInNZ

I haven't tried it specifically for Canon software, but I have several other programs that won't run in Win7 x64 but run well in the Oracle VirtualBox with XP loaded as a VM. You get access to the ports and it's free so might be worth trying. Let us know how you get on if you give it a crack.

Steve.
Old 15-11-2014, 03:48 PM
hobbit

you can try looking for a vista driver. they're usually compatible with win7
Old 15-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

I've tried one Vista driver and it didn't work - Win7 wouldn't load it up.

Using VirtualBox sounds long-winded but it seems I have little choice - I'll give it a go though.
Old 20-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

I must say I struggled with VirtualBox. It is probably just me but answers were not coming fast enough. It would see the USB connections but would not connect. I also could not connect the host drive to the virtual operating system which would mean you have to do a couple of copy steps through a USB stick (if you could connect it) to transfer files. It looks like a good package but it is BYO operating system.

I did, however, have more success with Windows Virtual XP. Detection of ports was much simpler, both USB and serial, and the host drives could be easily accessed. Also, it comes with the operating system so you don't need to bring your own disk. Also, installed applications can be accessed from the start button menu. In the end, the camera works!