Old 15-04-2013, 11:07 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

DSLR OAG & Coma corrector help

Hi all,

I have slowly been chipping away buying bit buy bit for my new system. It will be a newt telescope either f/4 or f/5 (on a new eq mount).

I plan to continue imaging with a DSLR for the coming few years so purchased a TS OAG9 from teleskop express.

I also purchased a baader MPCC, the website listed it with the OAG9 and explains that you use a baader adaption ring to fit the MPCC to the TSOAG9.

it was also recommended that the guide camera needs to be a very sensitive camera, so i purchased the SSX lodestar guidecam.

Upon (its speedy) arrival it is obvious that quite a few other adaptors are required to get this thing to work.

This hasn't been a biggish issue for as, as i say i am chipping away slowly as money comes available. I don't have an EQ mount yet so haven't been using any of the gear (although tried the MPCC on my dob). Its starting to get closer now, so i enquired on what adaptors i would need to get it working.

Eg an adaptor for the MPCC to the OAG, an adaptor so that the lodestar can be attached and an adaptor so the OAG can attach to the DSLR.

The response I received has to be honest p!ssed me off a bit, as how i interpreted the website was that the MPCC would work with the TSOAG9 and canon.

"now we have a problem, because the backfocus of the
MPCC are only 55mm.

Your Canon has with the T2 adapter exact this 55mm
flange back, so we have no space to use the TSOAG9
in this combination, sorry.

To use the OAG without the MPCC you have this struckture:

2” focuser - TSVF230 - TSOAG9 - TSOAG9-M48 - SKM48-EOS - Canon

To use the MPCC there we have these:

2” focuser - MPCC - SKM48-EOS - Canon

To fit your Lodestar at the TSOAG you will need these adapter:

TST2-1-T2l"

I have revisited the website since i purchased some months ago and now the MPCC is not mentioned on the TSOAG9 page at all - where i'm certain it was. There is however a mention to the TSOAG9 on the MPCC page.

Also i'm not sure if the advice i got was from someone who knows all the ins and outs of what parts are available. He suggests the SKM48-EOS part which i don't think is necessary, if you get a http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...al-length.html it will lessen the distance.

Regardless of all this, i don't want to point fingers, i don't want to be cutting the thread of adaptors (which i have read some people have done so that the prism can actually reach the light path). I just want to know if the MPCC will work with available adaptors or if there is a totally different system i should get (like the RCC1 and normal OAG adaptor)?

Cheers,

Rusty

Old 15-04-2013, 12:03 PM
rat156

Perhaps you need http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...mm-length.html
Ask if they'll exchange.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 15-04-2013, 12:46 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
Perhaps you need http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...mm-length.html
Ask if they'll exchange.

Cheers
Stuart
Thanks Stuart, that does look like it could be a solution if I can't get the TSOAG9 to work.
Old 15-04-2013, 01:01 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Which TS OAG9 did you get? I was looking at this product earlier in the year when I was contemplating an upgrade of my GSO newtonian. My understanding from the research I did is that it is possible to use both the OAG9 and a MPCC together - that's the whole point. I'm also pretty sure there are a number of users here on IIS who have done just that.

So (as I understand things), assuming you purchased the OAG9 with the EOS adaptation, then that should connect as is directly to your camera. On the telescope side, I believe you would need this adaptor to connect the m48 thread of the MPCC to the M48 thread of the OAG9 whilst maintaining the required spacing.

If you were to swap the OAG9 for the lacerta OAG, then you would use this adapter instead to connect he m48 thread of the MPCC to the M48 thread of the lacerta OAG whilst maintaining correct spacing.

For connecting your Lodestar, the adapters would be as suggested in the email from TS.
Old 15-04-2013, 01:31 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
Which TS OAG9 did you get? I was looking at this product earlier in the year when I was contemplating an upgrade of my GSO newtonian. My understanding from the research I did is that it is possible to use both the OAG9 and a MPCC together - that's the whole point. I'm also pretty sure there are a number of users here on IIS who have done just that.

So (as I understand things), assuming you purchased the OAG9 with the EOS adaptation, then that should connect as is directly to your camera. On the telescope side, I believe you would need this adaptor to connect the m48 thread of the MPCC to the M48 thread of the OAG9 whilst maintaining the required spacing.

If you were to swap the OAG9 for the lacerta OAG, then you would use this adapter instead to connect he m48 thread of the MPCC to the M48 thread of the lacerta OAG whilst maintaining correct spacing.

For connecting your Lodestar, the adapters would be as suggested in the email from TS.
Hi Richard,

Exactly, what I thought too Richard, which is why I am guessing the email response is (hopefully) wrong.

I have just the OAG9, not the EOS package. However, the EOS package as i understand it, consists of additional parts like the M42 adaption and EOS 0 mm bayonet that i linked to. I don't know why the response didn't mention these.

Are you sure that the extension tube for the OAG9 to connect to the MPCC is ok for spacing?
Old 16-04-2013, 12:54 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi again,

I have another response from the store, unfortunately its not super clear and is as follows:

"ok, if your EOS doesn´t have an full formated chip, than these
adapter will work:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...Baulaenge.html

Not the M42 one, the thread here differs from the T2!

2” focuser – MPCC – TSOAG9T2 (11,2mm) - T2-EOSs (0mm) – Canon (44mm)

--> 55,2mm and this should be possible with the MPCC."

I assume that means it will come out at a distance of 57mm as the , does anyone know if this will this affect the performance of the MPCC?

Unfortunately he didn't send a link to the T2 adaptor required.

I think the link following is meant to be the TSOAG9T2 as listed above but is listed at 3.5mm which would bring the MPCC to a distance of 58.5mm, even further from the 55mm.
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...terthread.html

On another note is the T2 opening going to introduce vignetting?

Maybe i should have put this thread under astrophotography discussion as someone must have a DSLR, OAG setup. i am battling to get a handle on this i read elsewhere that if using a T2 adaptor the prism gets blocked by the threading...
Old 19-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Hi Russell

I don't know who you worked with at Teleskop-Service but if it is Patrick Waitola then you are in good hands as he is very conversant with all the adaptations of the gears they sell

Wonder if you had seen this product or not on their website: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...elescopes.html

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 22-04-2013, 09:47 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Hi Russell

I don't know who you worked with at Teleskop-Service but if it is Patrick Waitola then you are in good hands as he is very conversant with all the adaptations of the gears they sell

Wonder if you had seen this product or not on their website: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...elescopes.html

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Cheers Bill, that looks to be the way forward, M48 thread rather than t2.
I think I can (hopefully) purchase the TS komakorr separately and save some money.
It wasn't Patrick at the store.
Thanks very much for pointing this product out, it's greatly appreciated, it appears I should have got this at the start rather than the mpcc.

Cheers,

Rusty