Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM
antaresangel (Carla)

Canon G12 'lens error'- worth getting fixed?

Hello.

Had a Canon G12 for just over two years,but a few days it has had 'lens error' and will not shut the lens down,but eventually turns off.

Any thoughts on getting how to fix?,or is it worth sending for repairs? think this cost around $600,so a little disappointing it lasted only two years.

Tried 'google' and it appears a common fault-dust in lens tubes,so not sure what to do with it.

What is a similar camera that this could be replaced with? is there a G13? or a Nikon equivalent? Need a camera like this for work.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:46 AM
LunaClick (Cliff)

G12 Lens Error

I've had my G12 four years, well over 100,000 shots, just had the 'Lens Error' problem come up. I too would like to get it repaired, or figure out how to replace the lens unit? It has been my workhorse general camera, especially tor time-lapse sequences and I will miss it sorely. I'll follow the thread...
Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Had mine for a few years now never missed a beat and even dropped it on cement once.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Check Canon's website, there me be a repair agent near by, if your tending toward the dust as the cause.
If not, see if you can get the firmware from Canon's website that runs the camera and put it on the SD card and run it. There may be a corrupted file in the camera.
If the camera is able to be updated there will be an entry in the menu for updating the Firmware. If there is and the Firmware doesn't appear on Canon's website, then either Google it, or email Canon to send you the EXE file.

As to replacements, is the G16 the latest version: http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Person...al-Cameras/G16
It appears they skipped 13 and 14 and went to G15 then 16??

Good luck, it looks like a nice little camera. Would love to find a S/H one somewhere.

Trev

Last edited by Regulus; 15-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.