ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-11-2014, 08:42 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Hot weather obs for solar? Is it worth it?

Hey all, I thought I would ask this here as the weather here in Spain is somewhat similar to back home in Australia so I'm hoping people may have a bit more experience of having an obsy in hot weather.
In summer we get a consistent 4 or 5 months of 30+°C days and it never drops below 20°C the whole time at night.

I guess my first issue would be regarding solar imaging during the day or morning.
I already find it quite tough due to the ground level and local air currents so it strikes me that adding another variable like an obs may just worsen the situation and not better it.
I guess there are various ways to improve ventilation and possibly even use cooling but if I have to wait then I may of missed the imaging window. Maybe it's not as much of a problem as I think it could be, I just don't know.

So do any solar imagers use an obs and how do they tackle the real hot weather?

I guess also as a side is for the nights which are consistently high temps as well, is that a problem?
Old 24-11-2014, 11:47 PM
sungrazer (Karen)

By Obsy you mean observatory don't you? If so, I wouldn't be without it in hot weather. I have a roll away tardis with a bench shelf for the laptop. The pst sits atop an lx200 on a pier. It's in my backyard at home so even for solar I want to be outside close to the mount - but not in the direct sun. I also want the shade for the laptop ( and for the screen so I can see what is going on). Oh, and I do timelapse photography on solar proms so I am out there (on and off) for hours.
Hope this helps.
Karen