Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 AM
brettd (Brett)

Kinda got white spots + Saturn Question

Hi,

Still at it ... I think the Melbourne seeing was a bit better last night, and I did manage to capture those 3 white spots in Jupiter (gotta squint, but they are there)

Also did a bit more on Saturn ... I keep getting a blue tint in the cassini division, and where the rings cross the planet, I can sortof remove it with GIMP (select colour range and desaturate) but is that cheating?

Is there something else I can do at capture or in post to better deal with this?

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jup0007 20-08-09 22-38-59_g6_ap107_ss_p.jpg)
35.2 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (saturn0008 20-08-09 22-51-21_g6_ap67_SS_p_Blue.jpg)
18.9 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (saturn0008 20-08-09 22-51-21_g6_ap67_SS_p_noBlue.jpg)
19.0 KB27 views
Old 10-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I see them too Brett, well done. I don't know where in Melbourne or what time you took these but last night's seeing for me wasn't good at all. I'm hoping tonight will be the night I get some decent viewing compared to the rubbish I've endured when I've been out there recently. As my eyes age I'm finding it more difficult to notice the stars twinkling or not, so what looks OK to me may not be so I end up setting up the scope in hope that it's good. I certainly find out once the planets are on the screen.

The blue cast could be CA of your eyepiece, atmospheric refractions at lower altitudes or focus issues. Are you shooting these with a DSLR or dedicated planetary camera, osc or mono? If you were shooting at the same time I was, your results would probably be about as good as you would get. By the way, changing the colour is not cheating, it's done all the time in post processing, just look at the Hubble Palette shots for example. My thought is, if you're not modifying the shape or structure of the object by adding or removing something then colour changes are just personal taste. What you did is fine, we know the blue cast shouldn't be there so you corrected it.