Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 16-07-2020, 04:23 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Skywatcher - Synscan- Sky Safari issues

I’m looking for advice from somebody with a Skywatcher Goto mount (Synscan),
who has successfully setup/used Sky Safari 6 Pro on an Android(9) platform, using a Synscan Wifi adapter?
I can get everything working with the Synscan Pro app on both the Android platform and the Windows 10 platform.
My Android device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 tablet, my Windows 10 device is a Dell XPS 13.

I check that I’m connected to the SynScan_WiFi_171e network that appears as an available network, and the Synscan app sets up fine every time.
But Sky Safari refuses to connect to that same network. On Windows 10, Stellarium and Carte Du Ciel also refuse to connect.
I’m using an IP address of 192.168.4.2 and a port number of 11882, even though on the back page of the Wifi adapter guide that was included with the adapter, the IP address is given as 192.168.4.1 and the Port number as 11880. I’ve tried these without any success.
I’m not so worried about Stellarium and Carte du Ciel running on Windows because I want to be using my laptop for imaging using Sharpcap.
But I really do want to get Sky Safari working on my Android tablet for scope control.
I’m sure it’s not supposed to be this hard, but I have been known, every now and then, to make things hard for myself!
If somebody can point me in the right direction with the steps they used to get things working, especially the IP address and Port settings, which I think must be the problem, I would be so grateful!
Cheers
Chris
Old 18-07-2020, 11:20 AM
PKay (Peter)

Hi Chris.

Getting things to work can be a nightmare.
I have not used Sky Safari so can't be specific.

I have just finished setting up my SynScan (see post above) so can only give general advice.

For me, ASCOM was the key.
You have to use the right drivers for each piece of equipment or App.
Old 18-07-2020, 12:04 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Thanks Peter, I haven't exactly been flooded with responses to this post!
I think my drivers are correct, The Synscan app works fine, it must be Sky Safari.
I've asked for support from them but no answer so far.
I know life wouldn't be much without a bit of mystery, but I wish this one would go away!
Giving it a rest for a few days until I get inspiration, motivation, or an answer.
Cheers, Chris
Old 18-07-2020, 12:29 PM
brisen (Brian)

Hi Chris

I am not using an Android or the software that you are using but this sounds like the ASCOM drivers are not there. Sky safari and CDC likely need to access the app through the ASCOM drivers to work.

Have you downloaded the ASCOM platform? This is a separate download from the ASCOM site. If you already have this when you go into setup the scope it should allow you to select ASCOM as the driver and then you will need to connect to Synscan Mobile words to that effect - I don't have the setup for mine in front of me.

The software you are trying to link to the app/wifi don't actually connect to the wifi network per se, they connect to the network through the ASCOM drivers.

Brian
Old 18-07-2020, 01:56 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Thanks Brian, I'll check that out sometime this weekend.
Cheers, Chris
Old 18-07-2020, 01:59 PM
gjr80 (Gary)

Hi Chris,

I use the Skywatcher wifi dongle with SynScan pro on my android phone and SkySafari on my iPad to control my AZEQ6. Also have everything connected to a little wifi travel router, so not quite the same as you. However, the key thing I have found is that SkySafari needs to connect to the SynScan app not the wifi adapter. In your case, using SkySafari and SynScan on the same device (can’t do that with Apple devices) you need to tell SkySafari to use the address 127.0.0.1 and port 11882 (127.0.01 always resolves to the local device).

I think this link covers it.

Can’t speak for CDC, Stellarium etc but you don’t need ASCOM for Android/Apple iPad with SynScan/SkySafari etc.

The other key point I have found is don’t let your SynScan device go to sleep, I use an app on mine to keep it awake. Once I have finished alignment the phone is out away and not used again.

Gary
Old 18-07-2020, 03:54 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Thank you Gary, will give that a try, tomorrow probably.
Cheers, Chris