Old 05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Harb
CCD's by the Dozen

Help with HEQ5

Hi,
I have a standard HEQ5 mount and I would like to setup and use Guide Dog on it so I can do some imaging...
I have a laptop loaded with Guide Dog, A Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB interface and the cables.....
What else do I need to do to make it all work ??
I have the CCD's as well, but I need to get Guide Dog to talk to the HEQ5.......
Mods to the mount ??

Help .....................

cheers

Last edited by Harb; 05-10-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Unless you have a guide port on the HEQ5 which you wont have you cant autoguide.

There may be somewhow you can mods some cables via the controller but either way it may not work to well...because guide rates are very slow like x.5 or less.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
avandonk
avandonk

All you need to do is open up the HEQ5 hand controller and solder four wires to the RA and DEC buttons and a common earth. These five wires then go to a parallel relay box controlled by Guidedog via a parallel cable. The guide rate is then set by the hand controller speed switch X1 is OK for guiding just adjust aggressiveness in guidedog to compensate so there is no overcontrolling or overshoot.This should also work with the shoestring device. I did this to my HEQ5 before I replaced the original motors and gears with the Astromeccanica motors.
What shoestring device do you have?

Bert
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Harb
CCD's by the Dozen

G'day Bert,

I have the GPUSB box.....
USB one side Rj phone socket the other...

Cheers
John
Old 05-10-2006, 07:32 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Then the phone socket which I assume is an RJ12 which has six conductors (phone only has four conductors) needs to be connected to the HEQ5 hand controller. The easiest way to do this is get an RJ12 extension cord (six conductors and a plug one end and socket the other) and wire this to the HEQ5 handset so the socket can accept the RJ12 plug from the GPUSB box.

It does not matter which leads go to what buttons as long as RA and DEC are connected to RA and DEC. +ve and -ve can be swapped in software.

Can you get guidedog to operate the GPUSB box. Have you installed the Ascom software?

Bert
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Harb
CCD's by the Dozen

Yes the Ascom software did load, but I cannot tell if the Guidedog software is operating the box.......
I also have MaximDL ..... same story, I don't know how to tell if it is talking to the GPUSB.
Should I just use the Meade software that came with the DSI Pro ? do you think....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Have you got a picture or a site of the GPUSB box or circuit info.
Its OK just Googled it.

Bert