Old 28-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Equitment needed

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any equipment or could link me a list of equipment I might need to get into astrophotography. I have a really poor scope and a Eos 5d M2 camera.

Unsure as to how to mount it and color correct it once on computer to get the most detail out of the image. I color correct tape footage, digital footage and stills (Digital) so I know how to do it but is there something different or something I should know when doing it for Astrophotography?

Thanks!
Old 28-11-2011, 10:09 AM
gbeal

I'd suggest your camera is by far and away more than suitable.
You'll need a decent or better mount, and a scope, something like the ED80 style would be perfect. Then some means of guiding, so another small scope, or finder. Plus a guide-camera, and PC (although you can get around the PC if you really want).
BUT..... open your wallet and leave it open, LOL. Great hobby though, infectious, and can be expensive.
Gary
Old 28-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
I'd suggest your camera is by far and away more than suitable.
You'll need a decent or better mount, and a scope, something like the ED80 style would be perfect. Then some means of guiding, so another small scope, or finder. Plus a guide-camera, and PC (although you can get around the PC if you really want).
BUT..... open your wallet and leave it open, LOL. Great hobby though, infectious, and can be expensive.
Gary

Awesome, I was thinking it might be too heavy and I'm unsure as to how to mount it to the scope so it sits perfectly aligned with the view finder on the scope.

Thanks for your help too!
Old 28-11-2011, 11:28 AM
gbeal

There will be plenty of others here that can and will help, but I'd suggest you cosy up to someone in your locality and see what they are doing, and ask them questions. It is so much easier to learn when you can see what is actually happening. Toss out the MayDay to the locals, there has to be plenty in your area.
Gary
Old 28-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Intergage (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
There will be plenty of others here that can and will help, but I'd suggest you cosy up to someone in your locality and see what they are doing, and ask them questions. It is so much easier to learn when you can see what is actually happening. Toss out the MayDay to the locals, there has to be plenty in your area.
Gary
Yeah, hopefully going to a sky party around the corner from me in a couple of weeks!

I'll ask a couple of people there, thanks anyway man!