Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 13-08-2017, 06:55 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

TS 80 f7 doublet or 80 f6 triplet.

I'm looking at getting a new scope and have been looking at the TS 80mm f6 triplet http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...P-Focuser.html I've already owned a skywatcher ed80 and am looking to step up from there and I figured a triplet APO would be good. But another thread on here got me looking at their 80mm f7 doublet http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...n-focuser.html

Both seem of the same quality, same focuser, similar scopes. So I want to get my money's worth with the scope, as I said I've already owned an ed80 and don't want to be looking to upgrade anytime soon because of things like chromatic aberration and overall performance, hence why I was originally looking at the triplet.

Uses for the scope will be, full frame 5D initially but looking to use with an asi1600 in the future.

Anyone got any opinions on how these scopes should perform? I am aware of importation and gst and it's not a consideration for me, my decision will be purely based on performance in the overall price range. Any other recommendations welcome also. My considerations are: 400-600 focal length, able to be used with full frame, faster the better, performance (round stars across the frame with appropriate corrector), price range up to $1500 (not nescessarily including flattener/corrector)

Thanks, Tim
Old 13-08-2017, 07:00 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Get the triplet. Wider field and likely better color correction.
Old 13-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Triplet all the way! A very good doublet with a 5D could produce good results but the moment you throw an ASI1600 on it you'd regret not getting the triplet.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Echoing Marc and Colin - triplet for sure.

I used to have a very nice 4" TS f/7 doublet and I was getting small halos around brighter stars, but it was/is a very neat instrument for narrowband imaging. I could not see on the TS website the size of corrected imaging circle for their 80mm triplet. TS recommends a 2.5" flattener for full frame sensors with this telescope, but we do not know whether that refers to controlling vignetting only, or whether this flattener will give pinpoint stars to the corners with a full frame sensor.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:04 AM
glend (Glen)

If you want to stay under the GST threshold ($1000) combined (scope cost plus DHL shipping) then but the TS80 Photoline FPL-53, f7 Doublet. If you can afford the GST and the higher scope cost, of course the TS80, FPL-53, f6 Triplet. The Triplet works out at about $1057 using the DHL shipping option, you can risk it on GST, but if caught its another $106 at least. Keep in mind that both of these scopes use the same focuser (2.5" R&P) which is a very nice, and strong, imaging focuser which can be motorised. You will need a reducer corrector to run either of these scopes at 442 or 379mm respectively at their reduced fl. Both use the same reducer corrector options. I recommend the "3 Photoline Reducer Corrector, its excellent and can be used across the Photoline range if you decide to buy a larger version in the future. The 3" Photoline reducer corrector will cost you 290 euro,, $434 Aud, plus shipping. There are cheaper reducer correctiors, like the 2" version, at $294 Aud, which is ok for APS-C sensors.
Either scope is very nice, and suitable for imaging, and they weigh about the same at 3.1kg and 3.14 respectively.

Btw, i have the TS Flattener and have never used it, as i always run the reducer corrector. Cameras used are: APS"-C and ASI1600.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

Roger that. Triplet it is. And they charge a paperwork fee of around $160 when you go over the $1000 too, happened to me when I got a filterwheel and filters for around $1100 ended up costing about $260 extra for an order that I easily could've split had I known at the time (was pretty pissed at myself)
Old 13-08-2017, 02:18 PM
glend (Glen)

Buy your reducer corrector on a separate order and space it out by a couple of weeks, this avoids adding more to the bundled cost GST. If your ordering more accessories you can bundle them in the separate order.
Old 14-08-2017, 02:10 PM
blink138 (Pat)

wouldn't the ts price include their gst / vat which would be taken off guys?
pat
Old 14-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

Their pricing automatically takes off the vat if your not purchasing from the EU. When you log into an account that is from overseas the prices are accurately portrayed.
Old 14-08-2017, 06:13 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushellon View Post
I
Uses for the scope will be, full frame 5D initially but looking to use with an asi1600 in the future.

Anyone got any opinions on how these scopes should perform?
Hi Tim,

Opinions no, just a thought for you to check to see how big (generous) an image circle you will have to support your Full Frame so as to get even illumination / minimal edge effects, etc.

Best
JA
Old 25-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

So I bought the 80mm f6 triplet apo and a 3" 0.79x reducer corrector. I'm pretty excited for the purchase, after owning a 10" goto dob, 8" newt, 8" RC and an ED80 my experiences have led me to this scope and I'm keen to get some results. Now to start saving for an asi1600...
Old 25-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushellon View Post
So I bought the 80mm f6 triplet apo and a 3" 0.79x reducer corrector. I'm pretty excited for the purchase, after owning a 10" goto dob, 8" newt, 8" RC and an ED80 my experiences have led me to this scope and I'm keen to get some results. Now to start saving for an asi1600...
Forget the ASI1600 and start saving for the QHY367M
Old 25-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I think I'd have to sacrifice my firstborn for that one seems legit
Old 25-08-2017, 07:58 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
As far as I can tell there is no QHY367M at this time. There is the QHY367C, at around $5500 AUD (without GST), but there are plenty of lower cost OSCs. Do your really need full frame sensor at this time? Full frame in Mono is going to be expensive compared to the APS-C and 4/3rds sizes.

The ASi1600MM-C is a good place to start with mono imaging as there is just so much known about these cameras now. Shiraz's excellent exposure charts are one example.

It should be noted that Bintel has the ASi1600MM-C on sale at the moment for $1699 with free shipping.

For OSC, the ASI071C is also available for $1999 from Bintel (with the SONY IMX071 APS-C 14-bit sensor). For people on a budget, and who can work without cooling, there are some good DSLRs, offering excellent sensor specs, for less than $1k, like the Nikon D5300.

It really depends on where you want to start.

Last edited by glend; 25-08-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 25-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
As far as I can tell there is no QHY367M at this time. There is the QHY367C, but there are plenty of OSCs.
You're right Glen, but by the time he saves up for it it'll be out
Old 25-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

Quote:
The ASi1600MM-C is a good place to start with mono imaging as there is just so much known about these cameras now. Shiraz's excellent exposure charts are one example.
Yeh that's why I'm going with the 1600, just so much experience out there to work from. My only mono experience is with an STF8300M which doesn't have adjustable gain settings, which was good because all I had to worry about was exposure time. But with going to a cmos I want something that is widely used so I can gather from everyone else's experience to form a starting point of settings to use.

And as for it being on sale at the moment. I've recently worked myself through sickness to the point of developing pneumonia so I could get this scope/mount/guiding/dew control gear. I need to back off a bit lol. Probably will be starting to look at purchasing one around Christmas

Quote:
For OSC, the ASI071C is also available for $1999 from Bintel (with the SONY IMX071 APS-C 14-bit sensor). For people on a budget, and who can work without cooling, there are some good DSLRs, offering excellent sensor specs, for less than $1k, like the Nikon D5300.

It really depends on where you want to start.
My 5D III will do for now
Old 29-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

So the scope seems to have made it through customs and I haven't been called to make a payment for the gst... last time I used DHL and they rang me when it was a customs to pay the importation fees, but this time it's going through post. I wonder if there will be a bill to pay when it gets here or if it has slipped through, I've never had anything over the $1000 gst barrier come through post so I have no idea how they do it.
Old 29-08-2017, 04:25 PM
glend (Glen)

Tim if you have sent it via their Post, that is sent out of Germany via DHL, and would have been 36 euros. The only other option is UPS, and UPS ( at 105 euro), would definitely give you a ring inbound. Perhaps DHL kept you under the GST threshold. Typically with DHL it comes through Melbourne, then goes through Auspost or Startrack for delivery. UPS comes in via Sydney, at least for me it did.

Last edited by glend; 29-08-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 21-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

So I've got it all set up and ready for the weekend. Was hoping to get the cable management a bit better, but hiding a few metres of USB on a little scope is a mission. I think I'll have a look at getting some super short USB cables custom made, or make some myself. I made a plate for the top of the scope to mount all the extra gear and a machined block to mount the finder guider on and lathed down my M48-EOS adapter to get the spacing just right. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and this is pretty much how it's gonna stay until around Christmas when I get a new mono cam for it.

So I managed to fit all this on there: TS80mm Triplet APO, TS 3" 0.79x Reducer/Corrector, Moonlite 2.5" CFL focuser/controller/temperature sensor, Orion Finder Guider with an ASI120mm, Kendrick mini dew controller with straps for scope and guider and my trusty USB hub to plug it all into.

I'm going to make a 12v power hub with a fuse for each item to squeeze in there next week too. The whole idea is that there will be one USB cable and one 12v power cable running to the whole setup. Although when I do get another mono cam it will have its own dedicated USB cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0038.jpg)
205.3 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0039.jpg)
197.8 KB63 views
Old 21-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Looking good so far Tim