Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 13-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Zero amp glow..........
Cheers
Martin
OK. I'm impressed. What length subs?

Regardless, the results will no doubt be very interesting.
Old 26-01-2020, 12:01 AM
Martin Pugh

Hello
Happy to have the observatory open this last couple of nights, first time since early Dec. Be gone Summer!

I have acquired a Sigma Art 135mm lens and coupled it to the QHY600C. The weight of the lens certainly is an issue and off axis is not pretty so this image is cropped a small amount. I have some stop down rings coming.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

50 minutes, 10 x 5.

regards
Martin
Old 26-01-2020, 07:50 AM
gregbradley

Fabulous image Martin.

I take it the lens has an electronic aperture? Some older lenses like Nikon have a little tab that slides on the mount to open/close the aperture. You can fix it in place with a tooth pick or similar. But a modern lens with electronic aperture probably can't unless you put it on your DSLR, set it to a particular aperture then turn the camera off but the lens may default on power off to wide open - but worth a try?

Stop down rings are better though as they don't create sunstars out of every bright star.

Greg.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:44 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Fabulous image Martin.

I take it the lens has an electronic aperture? Some older lenses like Nikon have a little tab that slides on the mount to open/close the aperture. You can fix it in place with a tooth pick or similar. But a modern lens with electronic aperture probably can't unless you put it on your DSLR, set it to a particular aperture then turn the camera off but the lens may default on power off to wide open - but worth a try?

Stop down rings are better though as they don't create sunstars out of every bright star.

Greg.
I used to have a Sigma Art 85 and that’s how I set the aperture on my Nikon. Once it’s set though it stays which is good.
Old 26-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Martin Pugh

Yes, you were both right. I knew you could do this with Canon lenses, and it worked the same on this lens. So now its stopped down to f2.5.

cheers
Martin
Old 26-01-2020, 01:37 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Hello
Happy to have the observatory open this last couple of nights, first time since early Dec. Be gone Summer!

I have acquired a Sigma Art 135mm lens and coupled it to the QHY600C. The weight of the lens certainly is an issue and off axis is not pretty so this image is cropped a small amount. I have some stop down rings coming.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

50 minutes, 10 x 5.

regards
Martin
BTW :-

I have shifted my focus (pun intended) back to setting to work my QHY900 cameras and in particular, the QHY900 OSC combined with a newly acquired lens: Sigma Art 135mm f1.8.”

Did you mean QHY600?

I’m hoping to receive my ASI6200 next week.
Old 26-01-2020, 04:31 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
I’m hoping to receive my ASI6200 next week.
Did you get the mono version? What about the other bits - filter wheel, etc?
Old 26-01-2020, 08:36 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Did you get the mono version? What about the other bits - filter wheel, etc?
Yep, I go the mono package with 7x 2” FW, OAG, and ZWO’s LRGB/Oiii/Sii/Ha filter set. I actually didn’t look too carefully ‘cos I actually planned on getting Astrodon or Chroma filters. Anyhow guess I’ll just use the ZWO filters first and upgrade later.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:47 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Well, I look forward to seeing how it goes - please post a topic here with details.
Old 29-01-2020, 07:03 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Well, I look forward to seeing how it goes - please post a topic here with details.
The h/w arrived. Unfortunately I don't have adapters to hook it up to my scope so I'll probably have to custom one up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1701.jpeg)
145.3 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1702.jpeg)
89.5 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1703.jpeg)
70.5 KB43 views
Old 30-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Ditto. Really interested in seeing some real-world results
Old 30-01-2020, 10:29 AM
gregbradley

SWEET looking camera.

Most exciting. I look forward to seeing some results as well. I think it should be fabulous.

From what little I have read it seems on Cloudy Nights that QHY is not great with drivers but is good with no dew and icing. Also good with no amp glow.

ZWO though seems to have a good reputation for reliability, service and drivers.

I also like just 2 gains. The other system of various adjustable gains sounds complex and you could easily end up with mismatched darks and flats and biases.

Even with 2 you need to be on the ball. Try to calibrate an image with the wrong set and you'll have trouble.

80%+ QE plus deep wells whilst small pixels is an engineering feat not done with CCD.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Greg.
Old 31-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
I also like just 2 gains. The other system of various adjustable gains sounds complex and you could easily end up with mismatched darks and flats and biases.
It's not easy to change camera settings by accident...when using the ASCOM driver, you have to deliberately go into the Settings dialog to change them.

There is also the function to set your own presets, which also has to be as a result of a deliberate action (it's hidden in the Advanced settings).
Old 31-01-2020, 05:56 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am waiting for my new, full frame image circle scope to arrive. I am really going to have to put some thought to one of those though budget pressure would say the OSC version would be more likely, buying a filter wheel and filters to suit would kill me!
Old 31-01-2020, 06:29 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
It's not easy to change camera settings by accident...when using the ASCOM driver, you have to deliberately go into the Settings dialog to change them.

There is also the function to set your own presets, which also has to be as a result of a deliberate action (it's hidden in the Advanced settings).
I meant you forget to set it to the right one rather than switching by accident.

I sometimes have this happen with my FLI cameras which have a slower download but lower read noise setting and another setting which is faster downloads (good for focusing) but higher read noise. I set to the faster downloads for focusing and then forget to set it back to the slower downloads but lower read noise for the actual imaging.
You can't calibrate the fast downloads with the slower downloads calibration files.

Greg.
Old 31-01-2020, 06:30 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I am waiting for my new, full frame image circle scope to arrive. I am really going to have to put some thought to one of those though budget pressure would say the OSC version would be more likely, buying a filter wheel and filters to suit would kill me!

From what little I have seen so far the mono has way less noise. Perhaps cheaper to simply use a Sony A7riv.

Greg.
Old 31-01-2020, 07:48 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have been waiting for some images to show up, but so far more or less nothing form either version, I don't suppose there are many in the wild yet.

I would love to go mono, but obviously adding the 2" X 7 wheel and filters significantly raises the cost of a ticket to play.
Old 31-01-2020, 08:35 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
I meant you forget to set it to the right one rather than switching by accident.

I sometimes have this happen with my FLI cameras which have a slower download but lower read noise setting and another setting which is faster downloads (good for focusing) but higher read noise. I set to the faster downloads for focusing and then forget to set it back to the slower downloads but lower read noise for the actual imaging.
You can't calibrate the fast downloads with the slower downloads calibration files.
In my experience with ZWO's driver, it remembers the last used settings, so it's very much set it and forget it. If you never go into the Advanced settings in the ASCOM driver, gain/offset/USB speed will not change.

It's pretty fool-proof...I've managed to get by with it for years
Old 31-01-2020, 09:00 PM
gregbradley

Here are some using the QHY600:

https://www.astrobin.com/fwgnd8/0/

https://www.astrobin.com/full/gnm4rj/0/

https://www.astrobin.com/full/3iaoag/0/

https://www.astrobin.com/full/r7jjca/0/

https://www.astrobin.com/full/8xni2c/B/

The M31 image is the most spectacular but some nasty halos around bright stars with some odd diffraction spikes in the FSQ106EDX4 images.

That most likely is the filters - their Baaders. Also same imager but using Tak CCA 250 does not seem to have the same reflections. They kind of ruin otherwise good images.

You'd have to wonder about the antireflection coatings on the camera window though.

I'd be looking for that defect in ZWO or QHY IMX455 images to see what's causing that.

Greg.

Greg.
Old 31-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Martin Pugh

I am still working to optimize my systems and of course fires and smoke have kept me closed for weeks also.

But I have been open the past few nights.

These 2 images taken tonight: They basically demonstrate the potential of the 36cm f2.2 RASA.

Both images are 3 mins in duration, QHY600M, Baader f2 Ha filter. One is binned 2x2, the other unbinned.
Images are also cropped...no flats acquired yet.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC434-3minsBin 2x2.jpg)
191.1 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (IC434-3minsBin 1x1.jpg)
228.0 KB72 views