Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 18-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Weight is not such an issue. All air tickets to the USA that I've seen, come with 46kg luggage allocation. .................

Joe
True...the problem is air travel inside the USA.

Your two trans-pacific bags can become a liability for domestic connections beyond LAX/SFO/DFW etc.

Many US carriers charge for checked luggage. You might want to check what they allow.
Old 18-06-2017, 10:44 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
True...the problem is air travel inside the USA.

Your two trans-pacific bags can become a liability for domestic connections beyond LAX/SFO/DFW etc.

Many US carriers charge for checked luggage. You might want to check what they allow.
You're quite correct and I should have mentioned this in my post.

When I travel with a lightweight head, My typical check in is 18kg. 21kg with the Starlapse. This time I am bringing a second backpack with some camping gear for Yellowstone. I'll also use the backpack to transport my scopes and mount up the mountain. You're not allowed to bring suitcases on the aerial tram to Rendezvous, the rule is you have to be able to carry it. So a large backpack is fine.

I was aware of the check in issue when I booked so I booked a single international ticket right through from Canberra to Salt Lake City - $1400. I only booked a week ago. Had I been able to book early this year I could have got the same ticket for $1200 but other issues at home made me hold off.

SYD-LAX tickets are $1050 odd. Buying the domestic sectors CBR-SYD and LAX-SLC separately would have cost more overall than the straight through fare.

Joe
Old 19-06-2017, 11:29 AM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Mohammed,
Are you asking about portable trackers for eclipse chasing / photography or for astrophotography more generally?

Drive precision and PE specs for eclipse photography are pretty irrelevant. If you use 70-80mm diameter f6-f8 refractors, or a 4-5" f12.5 mak, the longest exposures are only 1-2s for such optics. Even 200" PE won't affect such a short exposure.

During a total eclipse, the primary job of the drive is to keep the image centered and by using an equatorial mount, no rotatation is required later when processing, aligning and stacking images. There are no stars to register on in the short exposures and the moon moves relative to the corona so you can't use the moon.

If you are asking the question for longer exposure astrophotography more generally, then Pete's advice holds. Also read Phil Hart's SW Star Adventurer review. The Star Adventurer has an autoguider ST4 connector which can take input from a SW Synguider.

You could also consider building a compact lightweight double arm Trott type 4 barn door.

Joe
Hey Joe,

If I'm to purchase a unit I would like it for both. The Star Adventurer definitely looks like the most promising. I used to own an Astrotrac but unfortunately sold it before deciding I was going for the solar eclipse.

I assume the star adventurer should be fine for ~400mm and tracking the sun? I wouldn't attempt astrophotography with that focal length.

I purchased http://www.amazingsky.com/eclipsebook.html and it's absolutely amazing. Well thought out with very clear and concise information. Highly recommend!

Thanks guys for all the info very helpful!
Old 20-06-2017, 06:15 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Vixen Polarie can now carry up to 14 lbs using this heavy loading kit.
I've often wondered if the polarie limit was the worm drive torque or too much weight hanging out away from the body. Looks like it is the latter!

https://www.mrstarguy.com/Vixen-Pola...t-p/35505h.htm

Polarie doesn't allow auto guide like the Star Adventurer.

Joe
Old 28-06-2017, 07:29 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

I've purchased a skywatcher staradventurer as well as the new Sigma 100-400mm lens. Just need to purchase next camera body then will give this thing a trial run to see how I go with tracking it and simulating the day of the eclipse. Will post back with my results soon as complete
Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Thanks Peter �� I witnessed my first eclipse at Palm Cove back in 2012 and I was hooked and on that day I was googling for the next good one to witness and when I seen the one in the states I said YES I'm going ���� and I stuck to it woohoo I'm going over there for four weeks ���� I can't wait ��
My pics weren't that good so I would really like to get it right this time, how do you get the whispy bits of the corona in the pic during totally ���� I have a sheet of solar film here so I need to get crafty hehehe
Is it August yet ? ��������

Last edited by Jen; 02-07-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

The equipment I'm using at this stage is a canon 500D tracking on a Polarie with the 55-250mm lens but I'm thinking I would like to get a better lens but not sure which one 😀
Old 19-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Just wanted to ask the question whether having a modded DSLR makes any difference when photographing an eclipse? I wouldn't think so but wanted to check and see if anyone is aware of any issues (or benefits even).

I'm thinking of taking both camera bodies with me to the US (one modded and one un-modded) and using one through the scope and setting up the other one with a wide-angle lens to capture the scenery.
Old 19-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Just wanted to ask the question whether having a modded DSLR makes any difference when photographing an eclipse?
Noooooo....very. bad . idea.

I have a full spectrum 5DII....and sure....with an appropriate blocking filter....the colour balance is normal. But without it...aye carumba....But a TSE is not a deep sky event. Things are bright. You simply don't need extended red end sensitivity.

I'll be packing my very normal spectrum 5D MkIV. Choices to make now are:

Do I want to include the local scenery? If yes, use a camera lens.
Do I want want to capture the extreme outer corona? Camera lens again.
High resolution/inner corona? Now you are looking at telescope, rigid tripod, tracking mount.

Clear skies!
Old 21-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Thanks Peter,

My camera is astro-modded rather than full spectrum but it sounds like I'd be better to play it safe & use the unmodded camera body for my main shots.