Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2012, 09:19 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Being impecunious, there's a lot of other things that are further up the list - food for example.
I've seen people using them with a sky prog and they're quite remarkable, but since we've only seen the sky three nights since Christmas, that would make a pricey gimmick.
What I find infuriating is that Apple decided to sell every single little cable separately and very expensively - like Celestron with a turbo boost. I avoid buying from companies that do that.
Someone gave me an ipod nano 16gig and I think it's very clever andcan watch movies on it etc. But the peripheries when added up came to half the price of the magic box. They could have used a simpler interface and allowed generic connection. It's just marketing and I don't appreciate that sort of marketing
Old 17-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I bet Apple's shareholders are happy.

H
Old 17-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
that would make a pricey gimmick.
A "gimmick" is generally a marketing feature that exists for its own sake - something that's (subjectively) utterly useless. The fact that the sky is usually cloudy of late doesn't detract from the intrinsic usefulness of this device (as per its design criteria) when the conditions in which it was designed to operate are evident.

I absolutely understand that people who can't afford much more than food might be angered by the "extravagance" of such a device. I'm not sure that's reason not to own one if if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Someone gave me an ipod nano 16gig and I think it's very clever andcan watch movies on it etc. But the peripheries when added up came to half the price of the magic box. They could have used a simpler interface and allowed generic connection. It's just marketing and I don't appreciate that sort of marketing
I can't see it, and think that this is misleading. Maybe you can be a little more specific. You get the 30-pin to USB cable with the unit. What more did you need? What other "peripherals"? "Allowed" generic connection? Via what exactly?

Last edited by Omaroo; 17-03-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 17-03-2012, 11:40 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post

I can't see it, and think that this is misleading. Maybe you can be a little more specific. You get the 30-pin to USB cable with the unit. What more did you need? What other "peripherals"? "Allowed" generic connection? Via what exactly?
Chris if you want to connect to a TV to get a better picture for gamming you need the TV/AV cable, around $60 from the apple shop. I planned to use mine on the smart board at school ..... cable cost $60 for VGA and sound connection. PC equivilant...around $10 but thats competition for you. I have bought both cables so around $120 spent. My Ipad II is 64gig with 3G and cost from memory a smidge under $700 so two cables cost roughly 1/6th the value of the device. I don't want to start a PC vs apple war here but the peripherals are very expensive compared to other systems currently available. Like H said the shareholders would be very happy.

Mark
Old 17-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Chris if you want to connect to a TV to get a better picture for gamming you need the TV/AV cable, around $60 from the apple shop.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iPhone-3G...ht_7638wt_1180

$10 on eBay Mark - including delivery. I have a couple of these and they work as advertised. You can pay for name-brand if you wish, but you certainly aren't forced to. These are obviously made in a small Chinese factory and without any real warranty, whereas a proper Apple-branded cable will have a warranty and, being made by Foxconn, will be of higher quality to begin with. There is a vast difference between Apple-branded cables and cheap Chinese knockoffs, I assure you.

A $60 cable for a multi-thousand telescope mount is considered inconsequential.

A $60 cable for a $169 device is a greater part of the cost of the original device.

I'm not being funny here, but a cable is still just that - a cable. Cost of construction, distribution, retail profits, etc, etc, etc affect the two cables in the same way. Why should the cable for the $169 device be any cheaper - just because the device it's connected to is cheaper? Strange logic... especially given that the iPod TV cable with a 30-pin connector, three RCA plugs and USB is infinitely more complex than any cable you're likely to want plug into a Celestron telescope.

Last edited by Omaroo; 17-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 17-03-2012, 12:11 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
$10 on eBay - including delivery. I have a couple of these and they work as advertised. You can pay for name-brand if you wish, but you certainly aren't forced to.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iPhone-3G...ht_7638wt_1180

Good to see Chris as when I went looking for mine I could not find any alternatives.

Mark
Old 17-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Now you'll go off and buy six of them! LOL
Old 17-03-2012, 03:36 PM
leon

H, I didn't say the people doing this were fools, I just thought it a bit silly, that is all.
If it gives them pleasure, go for it.

Leon
Old 17-03-2012, 03:42 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
I wouldn't do it myself, but, it's a bit like queuing for tickets to a concert for your favourite band.
Not really.
If the band is halfway decent, getting in early gets a better seat
and being late means you may miss out.

With these iDevices, no matter where you are in the queue,
at the end of the day everyone gets the same
and like the magic pudding, they will never run out.

Andrew
Old 17-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

No worries, Leon.

Andrew, I remember going in to JB Hi-Fi the day after the release of the iPad 2. They didn't get stock in for at least 8 weeks! I tried the Apple store in Civic, as well, and was told that they didn't know when they'd get stock in.

For some people, a date is a date is a date.

H
Old 17-03-2012, 04:53 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Good to see Chris as when I went looking for mine I could not find any alternatives.

Mark
Everbuying.com has them at half the price $3.54 incl shipping
http://www.everbuying.com/AV-USB-Vid...G-p-27560.html

They have heaps of accessories for the iXXXX devices, I picked up a spare USB cable for $0.01 including shipping the other day.
Old 17-03-2012, 07:51 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
Andrew, I remember going in to JB Hi-Fi the day after the release of the iPad 2. They didn't get stock in for at least 8 weeks! I tried the Apple store in Civic, as well, and was told that they didn't know when they'd get stock in.

For some people, a date is a date is a date.
Sorry to say it,
but if the date of delivery of an iDevice is that important
to the ability to live a life, then i despair for our future.

Andrew
Old 17-03-2012, 08:03 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

The angst generated by anyone who dares criticie or even seems to criticise Jobs's baby is all you really need to know about iPads and their owners.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Andrew - don't read too much into it. These people do it for the fun of it. I don't find it fun... it's obvious you don't... but there are those that do.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwatcher View Post
The angst generated by anyone who dares criticie or even seems to criticise Jobs's baby is all you really need to know about iPads and their owners.
You generally lay blanket criticisms like this Peter? These sentiments are really getting old. Time to find some new ones eh? LOL
Old 17-03-2012, 08:08 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

God help use when they finally have an iPad that can be remotely controlled with a 1W green laser, the queue will then strecth around the block as it will contain two types of fools.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Riiight... LOL!!

Attention all iPad and green laser owners.... Peter says you're a fool. I feel so proud.

Another ignore list entry for you Peter. Congrats!

It's amazing the stupid attacks iPad owners take. I rarely see any launched by them. Feel good about it Peter.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'm all angsty now; think I'll have a tanty. You know nothing about me. Although, given your past posting history, it says a lot about the grumpy old man that you are. Feel free to add me to your ignore list. I won't miss you.

On the plus side, Steve Jobs just emailed to tell me that my iPad 3 has shipped.

H
Old 17-03-2012, 08:19 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Chris

Quote:
Andrew - don't read too much into it.
Ohhh dont worry about that, i dont. :-)
I simply see quasi religious traits in "some" of what is posted re
these devices and the reasons to queue for the latest
versions of them.
As noted, i despair for our future if these devices are that important
to our ability to live and interract as a species.
I must admit i had to laugh recently when several friends got
together for lunch and spent 50% of their time
engrossed in their screens.

Andrew
Old 17-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

LOl... yes, I know what you mean. I think that it's just plain rude to use any devices at all over lunch - especially phones.

I don't think these people's lives "depend" on them as such. They just get excited that something they obviously love is suddenly updated, changed, and evolved. It's a social phenomenon, like many others in other times. I remember my mother telling me that the Beatles tour here in the early 60's featured women that literally fainted while screaming for them at the airport. Same with ABBA and that new little punk, Justin Beeber. Fans are fans. They just like different things.

In my case, I do have a certain love for what these things do - especially for my music. Can I do without? Of course, but why would I?
Closed Thread