Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

DSLR Cooling Fan Temperature Test

I made a cooling fan for my DSLR to see what effect it would have on the running temperature of the sensor during an imaging session
I used an aluminium bracket attached to the underside of my Canon 600D and mounted a 60mm high efficiency 12V DC axial fan on neoprene pads to limit vibration. The fan is approximately 40mm away from the back of the camera with the flip screen opened out
Connected the fan to a 2m 12V cigarette lead plugged into my power socket below the mount
Did a test run last night while imaging M17 so started the session without the fan running for about half an hour and the temperature sensor was reading 22deg C
Then started the fan and after 3 or 4 subs , the temperature initially dropped to 19deg C and then for the remainder of the session dropped to 17deg C
Outside air temperature was round 14 to 15 deg C most of the night
I know a 5 degree reduction in sensor temperature is not going to have much effect on SNR but I’m more concerned about lowering the temperature to preserve the life of the camera , sensor and electronics
I will be interested to see the outcome during the summer months ( maybe a fruitless exercise) but any reduction in temperature is better than none at all

Comments welcome
Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 PM
doppler (Rick)

DSLR's tend to run quite hot in the summer months so I think any sort of cooling has to be a benefit. Here's an old thread on the subject.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...t=dslr+cooling
Rick
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 PM
JA

Hello Martin,
If you want to get an idea of the sort of improvement that hopefully you've made, then take say a 5minute dark frame WITH and WITHOUT the fan operating and compare the two.

Best
JA
Old 05-09-2019, 05:40 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Humidity is probably the most limiting factor. Much of the design in cooling systems is condensation protection.

A 5C drop with just a fan is quite respectable. Rule of thumb is half the dark noise for every 5C drop from room temperature. But that depends on the camera as well.

Peltier modules fixed to the camera base plate, with heat sink and fed say 6V, provides a little extra cooling but it just becomes a monstrous affair. The fan sounds just fine.

A light weight heat sink fan combination fixed to the base plate might provide a little extra cooling.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I thought of a lightweight aluminium heat sink but the casing on my camera is plastic so the casing itself will dissipate the heat quicker with the fan running than adding more thermal material against the case
If I can sustain a 5deg C reduction throughout the summer months then my idea would be considered successful
Time will tell
Old 05-09-2019, 05:28 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

The sensor is mounted in a plastic frame as a rule, so conductive cooling is not that effective, unless you are using a cold finger and the sensor design allows it.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Another thing to note is that in previous camera models the temperature sensor was not on the actual image sensor.

Not sure about 600D but if the design is similar to the older cameras then the temperature drop on the actual sensor may be less than the measured 5C. As already suggested take some darks with fan on and fan off and compare the noise.