Old 30-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Taka to Atlas

While they are not inexpensive, once again I've found Precise Parts to be a simply fantastic resource to marry various bits together that would otherwise never normally fit.

Case in point, due the sheer mass of the imaging train, Taka's FSQ focuser struggles with my STX+CFW+AOL: very difficult to focus and prone to random image plane tilt.

The fix came in the form my FLI atlas. Zero tilt, ultra-precise and it can lift a good sized pachyderm.

For those wanting to make a similar adapter: 10mm is a good length for the FSQ focsuer to Atlas part.

While I haven't quite nailed down the tilt of the focal plane, the attached pictures tell the rest of the story...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Taka_FLI.jpg)
174.6 KB96 views
Click for full-size image (3dcurve.jpg)
165.3 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (curveplot.jpg)
80.7 KB51 views
Old 30-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Paul Haese

At a guess I would say your tilt is coming from slop in the Tak focusor. Even tightened up with that sort of weight on the back you will get some slop as small as it is.
Old 30-05-2015, 12:49 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I used a similar configuration for a while and agree that the Tak focuser is still a weak point. One day I'll shell out the big bucks for an adapter that takes it out of the picture altogether...

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 30-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I designed the FLI to Tak unit so there was just a few mm of travel required to get focus. With the draw-tube virtually all the way in, it feels very stable.

Indeed, CCDinspector results confirmed there is now very little sag or random tilt.

I just need to do some measurements and the math to work out where to place the shim spacer(s). ....clear weather would help

I'll post the results when I'm done
Old 30-05-2015, 01:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Far out! Is that an FSQ hanging off the filter wheel? Change of plan: mount the camera and stick the FSQ on top.
Old 30-05-2015, 02:36 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

^like
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Nice to have some clear (albeit cold) weather...which allowed the final calibration of the Taka assembly.

The CCDinspector results speak for themselves...but as the old saying goes...the proof is in the pudding.

The linked image above being a mere 40 minutes with a 7nm Baader and the STX16803 (running at a -35C setpoint...cold weather has its advantages )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cal3d.jpg)
143.9 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (calplot.jpg)
119.1 KB33 views
Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter ward View Post
nice to have some clear (albeit cold) weather...which allowed the final calibration of the taka assembly.

The ccdinspector results speak for themselves...but as the old saying goes...the proof is in the pudding.

The linked image above being a mere 40 minutes with a 7nm baader and the stx16803 (running at a -35c setpoint...cold weather has its advantages )
pfg