Old 26-12-2007, 10:10 AM
smersh (Michael)

Upgrading guide camera advice

Hi All.
I am looking to upgrade my guide camera. I’m currently using GuideDog and the Meade LPI that came with my LX90. It works fine but I need more sensitivity. I don’t want to spend too much so was looking at something like one of the various Meade DSIs (second hand).

Any experience and advice appreciated.

HNY,
Michael
Old 26-12-2007, 11:02 AM
beren

A Sbig ST-4 guider works extemely well, so easy to use once you get a little practice in. It may be more then you want to spend but something to consider if you want something that just works and can operate without a PC/Laptop have a look on Astromart
Old 26-12-2007, 11:33 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'd also recommend the DMK21AU04, it runs on USB without the need for external power, and can do exposures up to 60 minutes, so getting faint guide stars isn't a problem even with 1-2s exposures.

The DSI's seem to do a capable job though and they regularly come up for sale here.
Old 28-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I'd also recommend the DMK21AU04, it runs on USB without the need for external power, and can do exposures up to 60 minutes, so getting faint guide stars isn't a problem even with 1-2s exposures.
good advice, i use the dmk (firewire version) and as it has no bayer array is more sensitive and accurate, also have used guidedog but found phd 3.0.1 to be a much better program.
Old 30-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Shawn
Mostly Harmless

I have a DSI C and a DSI pro, I bought them on the runout sale ex US, for evaluation as guide cams, the DSI Pro IMHO is far superior in terms of sensitivity and resolution. Im sure there is a reason for this, somone here more knowledgable than my be able to fill in the gaps...

Shawn

Old 30-12-2007, 09:24 AM
RB (Andrew)

I was watching Mike's (Iceman's) setup one night as he used the DMK(firewire) and saw how easy it is using PHD.
I had every intention to go down this path myself, just hadn't had the chance yet but seeing it in action made it a priority.

Now that the USB version of the DMK is available it's even more of a reason to go this way.
I recently bought the USB version since you don't need external power for it and am looking forward to add guiding to all my imaging sessions.

The bonus for me is that I can also dabble in planetary imaging with this camera (mono) which is a step up from my Toucam.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
good advice, i use the dmk (firewire version) and as it has no bayer array is more sensitive and accurate, also have used guidedog but found phd 3.0.1 to be a much better program.
What is PHD 3.0.1?
My version is 1.7