Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 23-02-2009, 10:35 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Orion Starshoot Auto Guider, can it be used as a CCD camera for imaging?

I would assume so, cant see why it wouldnt but is there a better camera around the same price that will do the both jobs as well or better.

Thanks
Sandy
Old 23-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Sandy

Generally, a camera designed specifically for auto guiding may not be ideally suited to long duration exposure astro photography, say 30 sec to 60 sec exposures.

If the camera is not designed for long duration (e.g. 30+ secs) astro photography, then any exposure of over, say 3 to 5 seconds will begin to show objectionable noise. This can be removed via dark frames.

Another requirement would be for the camera control software to be able to save the individual frames in a suitable format for reducing, then aligning and stacking?

So, I’d be looking at the maximum length of exposure and can the camera control software save individual frames in a suitable format and also take dark frames easily.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-02-2009, 12:00 PM
gbeal

While I always agree with Uncle Dennis, try this forum posting, http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=1299.0
If I am not mistaken, the Orion is the same as the QHY5, or very similar.
Gary
Old 23-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

The QHY5 images in that post are very nice indeed, the M42 Trapezium region is a cracker of a shot! The exposures seem to range from 3 to 5 seconds and there is some evidence of “hot pixel” trailing. Some horizontal banding is also noticeable in some of the images, although one poster writes that this effect was removed in his camera, just by re-routing an internal wire.

Another consideration is, “are you a tinkerer? That is, do you want to take long exposure, colour images “out of the box” or are you prepared to tune and fiddle with the HW and SW?

Finances, the quality of your mount and long term aspirations in astro photography also come into play of course.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 24-02-2009, 11:02 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Thanks guys.

Well, I have an HEQ5 and an 8"newt, the quality of my gear is not the best. It's a hobby not a career but I would like to take some nice pictures. I have a cannon 1000D that I'm using for photography. I wanted to do some planetary work and I understand that a CCD is better for this. I thought if I'm going to by an auto guider I may as well get one that I can use as a regular camera as well.

Do you have any suggestion on a better camera for both. I dont mind spending a bit more money I just dont want to go into the thousands.

Thanks
Sandy