Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 16-05-2018, 03:00 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Alex i made a sketch of the cube, i think when i get the money i will be able to make it!
Old 16-05-2018, 04:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You can make something using mainly cement.
I made a mold from thin ply and put in a fair bit of steel and mesh...but if you use the top of your tripod unbolted from the legs you can pour the cement and stick in some brackets to bolt the top of the tripod and mount.
Having your mount set up you can cover it easier than making a cube...any ways you will think of something.
Alex
Old 16-05-2018, 04:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Alex i made a sketch of the cube, i think when i get the money i will be able to make it!
Of course you can do it ..it is very simple really. And when you know the stuff you need and put the story around folk sometime come forward..."well I have a sheet of ply you could have" well thats one down.

And honestly if you keep your eyes open stuff comes along. ..I have seen materials on Council clean ups that you build many.
Those ancient bed frames for example can replace the pine frame work...you may find other timber a bit at a time.
But you probably need to do your pier...you could even make the mold out of cardboard just paint it to keep the moisture of the cement away until it sets.
Work out how short you need a pier and the job wont seem as big☺and you only need a pier so dont worry about a cement surround that can come later...probably the best thing is to get a stable pier ready for when you will be doing narrow band as the dark site will be less important.
Alex
Old 16-05-2018, 05:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Funny...
I just recalled the first pier I made ..it was a plastic bucket for the mold and I cast the brackets in cement with a bit of wire in there for strength...and that was for my lxd 55 Meade 150 mm reflector and its goto mount...did it the way I suggested..it only has to be tall enough so the scope clears the ground...its not as though you are observing thru the scope ...
I made the molds for the mount brackets (3)out of cardboard and didnt even paint them to water proof them but it turned out great...ots still up in the bush somewhere.
Alex
Old 16-05-2018, 05:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Cut the bottom out of the bucket and turned it up with small end up and open.
Made cardboard molds with sticky tape and a corn flake box ..made little cardboard cylinders where the bolt would take the end of the tripod with out legs...ran some wire so some stuck out and gently packed each bracket with concrete and the while wet filled the bucket and stuck the brackets in...I recall I used a template ti make sure they were in position.

Hope that helps...not tall enough use two buckets and make the piet barrel like...form follows function but can provide interesting results.
Alex
Old 05-07-2018, 11:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I little step forward I put up a chain to hold up the roof as shielding and a double layer black curtain to cut out the street light.
I am running the 80mm now and cutting out that street light gets the cube reasonably dark..I am going to paint insude black maybe red and cover the timber.
May help a little.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180705_230105-1.jpg)
58.1 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (20180705_230231-1.jpg)
95.3 KB71 views
Old 16-05-2019, 08:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It needs a repaint already.
However it has worked rather well even though I have not motorised the roof.
Alex
Old 17-05-2019, 07:42 PM
sharpiel

You've had an observatory for almost 12 months. How I envy you, you lucky sod.
Old 17-05-2019, 10:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
You've had an observatory for almost 12 months. How I envy you, you lucky sod.
True my accumulation of wonders must be a matter that folk could chose to envy. That is not their purpose.

But that is unfortunate.

First moral comment...envy should not be in your mix..it is a negative and potentially destructive emotion..actually there are few emotions that can be trusted...best to avoid them all.
But its ok to cry when happy or laugh when sad.
But the message should be I an old man with gummy legs and only given the intelect of a lower level ape. If I can manage to get it together then others should have less expenditure of resourses to achieve a similar result.

However I can see that we need an even simpler unit that will deliver an observatory...I will work upon a design that is better, cheaper and more easily constructed.

OK I am thinking a big tarp with four bricks to hold it down.

I am working on a design with a small dome..only three foot high and wide to take an 80 mm so hopefully I will build it and offer folk another way to get where they may like to be.
Anything..anything at all..just ask as I am bound tand must deliver..I am programed to help humans...why else would I be sent to this planet if not to help ..it seems that is my prime directive...
Alex