Old 16-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
This STF version, is this the beginning of a series of upgraded electronics on the other models (STX I assume already has all this)?.

Does the full frame buffer imply that the driver to run the camera is now onboard and not downloaded from the computer at powerup?

Greg.
No, I wouldnt have thought th frame buffer had anything to do with firm wear . You have mentioned this before Greg, why is the live driver upload a problem?. I have never had a prob with that, is a quick invisible proceedure on pwr up. Have you had a problem with it?
Old 17-11-2011, 06:18 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Bless you Fred. Brown bag will be at the usual drop-off.
Maybe here would be appropriate.
Old 17-11-2011, 07:09 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
No, I wouldnt have thought th frame buffer had anything to do with firm wear . You have mentioned this before Greg, why is the live driver upload a problem?. I have never had a prob with that, is a quick invisible proceedure on pwr up. Have you had a problem with it?

Yes all the time. But really it isn't the driver loading at power up that is the problem it is a weak power connector. I'll have to send it off and get it replaced.

With STL11 I had and an ST2000 it wasn't an issue so much. STL11 perhaps a few times.

So it requires a flash memory for that then? You get used to instant connect with cameras that do have the driver on board and always keep running even if disconnected from the computer. Its just a handy upgrade.

Greg.
Old 17-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
....You get used to instant connect with cameras that do have the driver on board and always keep running even if disconnected from the computer. Its just a handy upgrade.

Greg.
Not sure what you mean by "driver on board"

All CCD cameras I have used to date have required drivers to also be installed with the PC's OS.

SBIG are a little different, in that they have a firmware upload on device connection. SBIG's driver checker makes it very easy to ensure the latest and greatest version is being loaded at startup.

I've been using SBIG's, literally for decades, and have never seen a coms link fail during capture. The camera either connected at start-up or it didn't.... hence your experience surprises me.

STX's are a little different. They have a built-in web server hence can be operated autonomously via an ethernet port...

In fact an i-pad and i-phone (or any web capable device) can be used to control the camera.
Old 17-11-2011, 03:04 PM
gregbradley

Yes I probably got that wrong its not the driver but the firmware.

Other brand cameras usually have on board flash memory and the firmware is in the camera not an upload on power up. This means you can disconnect the camera from the computer and plug it back in and its still going, still cooled to the same level - a handy feature.

I would love to see that implemented in SBIG cameras. Perhaps you have not had that trouble but I have. With ST2000XM I don't recall that ever happening, with STL11 a few times not that often, with ST402 it happens a lot but as I say its because the power jack is touchy. I need to get it replaced. So yeah not the upload but a consequence of the faulty power jack. If it does happen though you need to turn off CCDsoft and repower the camera then start up CCDsoft again and reconnect.

STX then sounds easier to operate remotely?

Greg.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "driver on board"

All CCD cameras I have used to date have required drivers to also be installed with the PC's OS.

SBIG are a little different, in that they have a firmware upload on device connection. SBIG's driver checker makes it very easy to ensure the latest and greatest version is being loaded at startup.

I've been using SBIG's, literally for decades, and have never seen a coms link fail during capture. The camera either connected at start-up or it didn't.... hence your experience surprises me.

STX's are a little different. They have a built-in web server hence can be operated autonomously via an ethernet port...

In fact an i-pad and i-phone (or any web capable device) can be used to control the camera.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Yes I probably got that wrong its not the driver but the firmware.

Other brand cameras usually have on board flash memory and the firmware is in the camera not an upload on power up. This means you can disconnect the camera from the computer and plug it back in and its still going, still cooled to the same level -

Greg.
yes I see what you mean. If the SBIG is uplugeg/repluged or something else goes pear shaped on th PC it's often a reset palava to recover, a pain, I've had that.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
STX then sounds easier to operate remotely?

Greg.
A picture can say a thousand words...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (STXwebIF.jpg)
163.9 KB46 views
Old 17-11-2011, 06:05 PM
gregbradley

That looks pretty cool.

The STX seems like a really good camera.
Are they about to come down in price? I see Anacortes selling one
for $3000 off. Is that just them or a rethink on price?

Greg.
Old 17-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
That looks pretty cool.

The STX seems like a really good camera.
Are they about to come down in price? I see Anacortes selling one
for $3000 off. Is that just them or a rethink on price?

Greg.
The sale price hasn't dropped quite so radically....about $1900 on a 16803 sensor version.

Kodak periodically drop the price of their sensors as new versions appear, hence the build cost reduces accordingly.
Old 17-11-2011, 11:12 PM
gregbradley

Who are Kodak Sensor Solutions??

Oh I see you mean Platinum Equity hehehe.

They are the new owners of the former Kodak Sensor Solutions.

I suppose they will keep the old name maybe not. I hope they don't increase prices.

Greg.

Quote:
The sale price hasn't dropped quite so radically....about $1900 on a 16803 sensor version.

Kodak periodically drop the price of their sensors as new versions appear, hence the build cost reduces accordingly.
Old 30-11-2011, 10:41 AM
cventer

Camera arriving in 2 weeks. Just in time for XMAS. Most excted.

I beliieve 3 are comming and 2 are spoken for so be quick if you want one for XMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer View Post
Now the long wait. This camera will be a fine match with my FSQ (or should I say your old one Greg)
Old 30-11-2011, 04:40 PM
gregbradley

Originally Posted by cventer http://www.iceinspace.com.au/vbiis/i...s/viewpost.gif
Now the long wait. This camera will be a fine match with my FSQ (or should I say your old one Greg)

Don't make me cry Chris!

Greg.