Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 30-06-2020, 09:55 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

We chose our house 5yrs ago with the expectation that it would be FTTP. I couldn't tolerate any less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (bonus.JPG)
32.7 KB50 views
Old 30-06-2020, 10:01 AM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Curious does FW have unlimited accounts like Fibre plans in the Urban areas?

Indeed, Aussie BB Fixed Wireless has unlimited accounts. I'd expect many others would too. A friend recently switched over from Telstra FW, 500Gb/month to Aussie BB unlimited, for $20 less.
Old 30-06-2020, 12:43 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

We are the same speed as you Tony in a new estate , when we changed over wasnt to impressed to start with now it seems to handle multiple people streaming without issue and it is 20/month cheaper.
Old 30-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Agree Richard. Telstra informs us we cannot get over 44 Mbps with the NBN due to the FTTC technology.

Why they won't even offer us NBN Satellite...yet a mere 10km away they have it.

Lewis, FTTC is much better than FTTN which I have and I get 95/38 pretty well all the time and the node is 150metres away. With FTTC, your fiber basically comes to the front footpath, where as FTTN goes to the Node which can be up to 1 km away, so I do not believe the best they can offer is 44Mbps, sounds very sus to me.
Old 30-06-2020, 06:44 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Lewis, FTTC is much better than FTTN which I have and I get 95/38 pretty well all the time and the node is 150metres away. With FTTC, your fiber basically comes to the front footpath, where as FTTN goes to the Node which can be up to 1 km away, so I do not believe the best they can offer is 44Mbps, sounds very sus to me.

Well, here is copy and paste from trying to establish an NBN connection:

"Great! You can connect to the nbn™ network via Fibre to the Curb technology. Actual FTTC speeds will be confirmed once you’re connected."

"As your nbn connection type is not HFC or FTTP, unfortunately Premium speed is not available." (apparently rated only to 88Mpbs anyway)

So, that puts us in the Standard Plus only option (or budget), and this means:

44Mbps
Standard Plus Evening Speed
(nbn tier 50)

Typical evening speeds between 7pm-11pm*
Download speeds* – 44Mbps
Upload speeds* – 15Mpbs
Sometimes we go even faster. From Sep 2019 - Feb 2020, most customers experienced average evening download speeds of 45Mbps
Great for homes with multiple people sharing the internet at the same time. Stream HD movies and TV. Download and upload large files.

Thanks Telstra, thanks Still, a darned side better than the current ADSL 1 with it's glorious max of 7 Mbps down, 0.28 Mpbs up...
Old 30-06-2020, 06:53 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

And this is the message I get when trying to change to the NBN:

Temporary pause on switches to nbn
Switches to Telstra nbn are paused for now due to COVID-19 impacts. Until you can switch to the nbn, Telstra will keep your internet and home phone connected, so you don’t need to do anything.
If you still want to continue and place a backorder, keep in mind there will be extended delays. We recommend you don’t make changes at this time. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 30-06-2020, 07:00 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Telstra refused to port my number to mynetfone for a couple of months due to COVID. Eventually it went through.

I would suggest trying another service provider for the NBN. Aussie Broadband are awesome! You don’t have to stay with Telstra.

DT
Old 30-06-2020, 07:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Telstra refused to port my number to mynetfone for a couple of months due to COVID. Eventually it went through.

I would suggest trying another service provider for the NBN. Aussie Broadband are awesome! You don’t have to stay with Telstra.

DT

David,

When we moved here, we tried to bring our provider with us - Westnet. They tried for 2 months to get a port from Telstra, but gave up and apologised. I then had Telstra connect us. Took 1 month before they told us they had no record of our connection request...and then another 3 weeks to finally get connected - on ADSL 1 (they refused to put in ADSL 2 because they told us the NBN would be in 4 months...3 years ago...).

Telstra all but refuses to give anyone else a port out here. Ombudsman failed to achieve anything either. In the end, for the first 9 months we were "double ported" with a data centre down the road...which gave us near zero connectivity when they uploaded at nights. A Telstra tech sorted that one out, and then Telstra gave us 3 months free internet...

There is a Yank expression for all this, involving clusters and fornication.
Old 30-06-2020, 08:23 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

The "ports" you're talking about were ADSL ports, and yes, those were limited in the exchanges to a certain number for each provider.

Telstra doesn't control who gets a port on the NBN. Best way it was described to me was that the NBN builds a "road" to your home and the provider uses their "car" to deliver the internet to you on the NBN's road. You can choose which ever car you want to drive.
Old 30-06-2020, 09:19 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
You can't plan your uploads when teleworking though. And to be honest, performance that is really hurting me (Upload) is a plain vanilla roughly 6mbps all day, every day anyway.....
Teleworking is not my only gripe if I decide to move to rural areas. My wife being profoundly Deaf, uses sign language to communicate and rely heavily on upload speeds being high for her video communication, including video interpreting. Right this moment, she is chatting away.

For this technology, the Upload/Download rate is running purely by statistics. The ratio of Download to Upload is based on consumer demand on average. Working from home may increase this stat but only for a short time. For the most part, while streaming video keeps going at this rate, then the ratio will remain the same.

The ratio is limited by bandwidth as with everything else so if the upload was to increase download would have to decrease. Wouldn't bother me, but streamers would complain and commercially would be detrimental.

The only thing that can be done is to manage this, preferably in an automated way individually, but that will cost money and not sure who would implement this.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:14 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Well, here is copy and paste from trying to establish an NBN connection:
"As your nbn connection type is not HFC or FTTP, unfortunately Premium speed is not available." (apparently rated only to 88Mpbs anyway)
As Peter mentioned, what you have (undeniably) read from Telstra has no basis in science or technology. You have x metres (30?) of copper from the street pit to the network boundary (Your 1st phone socket).

I can only excuse their misdirecting you with 2 possibilities:

1. They simply have zero idea of the actual technology in your area. This being relayed to you by a bot, script, or minimum wager who has no idea, nor care what they are selling you. Having known a few who have worked for Telstra, it is famous how one hand is FORBIDDEN to talk to the other.

2. The VDSL router provided by Telstra (for an FTTC job) is possibly very cheap, unable to maintain a decent packet handling rate. Cheap modems in the past could not process packet rates found in the 50+ Mbit range. Of course to Telstra, no VDSL Modems exist outside their catalogue. Perhaps their latest range has improved.. perhaps those handling your case are unaware... ok edit... it's marketing.

I cannot believe I'm making excuses for Telstra The short version of this: FTTC is better than FTTN, and nobody (with a choice) wants Skymuster Satellite. Under your situation, from what little I know, I'd be taking this up with a better RSP (AussieBB are great), and get that last 30m(?) of copper replaced (at your own expense if need be). Nobody wants to see you suffer like this. Crap internet is a cruel and unusual punishment that nobody here deserves.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:17 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I am surprised that you can't get more than 44M for FTTC, I was able to get more with FTTN back in WA.

This looks like something some ISP's are implementing because they can't guarantee the faster speeds all the time, as per this article:

link

Quote:
As part of recent plans changes, Telstra will no longer sell NBN 100 plans to customers connecting to the National Broadband Network via Fibre-to-the-Curb (FTTC), Fibre-to-the-Basement (FTTB), or Fibre-to-the-Node (FTTN) technology types.
This limits Telstra NBN 100 plans to customers with Fibre-to-the-Premise (FTTP) or Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connections, marking the first time a major telco has restricted NBN 100 plans to specific fixed line technologies.
Telstra stopped selling NBN 100 plans to customers on non-FTTP and HFC connection types because it can't guarantee speeds.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

That's pretty damn slack of Telstra, but expected I think. FTTC is supposed to be much better than FTTN.

For our area, it's FTTN. The setup of the node was new, I believe and it's a shame they didn't go further. However, when I applied for NBN, Aussie BB waited on the tech report of the potential speed before I could choose a plan. The tech report was positive over 100/50 from memory. I just chose a lower plan just to save some costs.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:25 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Telstra informs us we cannot get over 44 Mbps with the NBN due to the FTTC technology.
Time to change RSP - FTTC should be able to provide 100 Mbps on virtually ALL connections, but Telstra only offer 100 Mbps plans (and above) to FTTP and HFC residents. Pretty well every other RSP will offer you access to 100 Mbps plans - and you'll probably save some money as well.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/telst...ough%20Telstra.

Some RSPs may only allow you to sign up for 50 Mbps initially, but will allow a speed upgrade once your actual attainable line speed has been confirmed. (Note that on FTTC, it is possible that your in-home wiring may have an adverse impact on your attainable speed; and in some cases, the copper lead-in from the street is too long and / or very poor quality; but for most people on FTTC, 100 Mbps is attainable.) Telstra avoid dealing with the whole issue by preventing subscribers from accessing their full attainable speed - and have the gall to charge a premium compared to other RSPs.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:26 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

The possible reason that Telstra does not provide it as too many people expect too much from Telstra in providing the full 100 connection, anything low then people complain. I found out that complaints to the ombudsman cost the providers minimum $40.00 for each message that is transmitted from the ombudsman to the providers. Then there is the cost of handling the complaint and the amount of time for a rep to handle it. For any provider that will add up, so to cover the cost of complaints the simple solution is not to provide it.
I am sure they have done their math and decided the cost outway the income from 100M rates on a low guaranteed connection.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:28 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I've heard every complaint to the ombudsman costs them 4 figures - it's why mentioning it in a support call works wonders...

DT
Old 02-07-2020, 09:49 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
I've heard every complaint to the ombudsman costs them 4 figures - it's why mentioning it in a support call works wonders...

DT
Yes, I tried that as well, but my figures came from many years ago, so things may have changed and quite possibly so has the sum. Just confirms that all business decision is based on costs to the business as they get higher and higher every year.

I am in no way support Telstra, but as I used to have a small business that ran on the politics of current governments at the time, I had to make a lot of difficult cost analysis that some people didn't like. Anyway, I tossed it in and now feel better working on a salary.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:11 PM
PCH (Paul)

Back in 2004 I had what was (IMO) a serious business complaint revolving around poor service etc with Optus.

It escalated eventually to the ombudsman who promptly fined them $20k and gave us strict guidelines about how quickly the issue had to be resolved by Optus.

Foolishly they didn’t heed the warning and soon we were in touch with the ombudsman again.

This time the fine was $40k.

Somehow they managed to act more quickly to put things right this time
Old 02-07-2020, 11:14 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Lewis, Telstra has stopped offering 100Mbs plans on new signups. See here.

Also I feel like I should clarify a few misconceptions I have seen mentioned above:
1. FTTC Distribution Point Unit (DPU) can be up to 110-150m away from your phone socket. This possibly means up to 150m of the old copper.
The pits (DPUs) in the street are small and can only serve 4 houses. You do not necessarily get connected to the one in front of your house. Our distance to DPU is 120m.

2. The VDSL modem for FTTC is supplied by NBN and not by Telstra.

3. While most of people on FTTC can get 100Mbs, not everybody will.

4. When the technician comes to install the NBN they will measure what speed can be obtained. Before that it is just a guess.

My advice... AussieBroadband.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:34 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Luke is on the money. FTTC is still a compromise system, and to be honest I have lost interest in how the NBN is going so I have lost track. It was originally proposed to have an upgrade path to FTTP if a resident wanted to pay for what amounted to a fibre haul from whatever distribution point they are connected to but I don't know if that eventuated. But, that said, MOST houses on it should be able to get around 100mbps down.

The problem with Telstra is they have had decades of promising the world with "Up to" speeds and delivering often a small fraction of the promised speeds, and being able to get away with pointing out the "Up to" when they deliver 2mbps not 24. They got well burned by it when fibre to the node turned out to be the unpredictable turkey that pretty much everyone in the industry knew it would be and "Up to" didn't cut the mustard. We on fixed wireless (And maybe satellite) are the only ones where "Up to" works.

The safest, most risk averse option for Telstra was to simply stop offering the higher speed tier, so they did.