Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2020, 07:03 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Maybe they were having a bad day but I did email a question to Andrews 4 years ago, still waiting for a reply.
I bought a mini guide cam from ZWO direct as the backorder for bintel was a month. IT was cheaper and arrived in 7 days and no GST

I ordered something direct from ZWO this week. Currently with FedEx for delivery Monday. All up, $80 cheaper than Bintel's price (which doesn't include post), which they don't have stock of anyway.
Old 26-06-2020, 01:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Maybe they were having a bad day but I did email a question to Andrews 4 years ago, still waiting for a reply.
I bought a mini guide cam from ZWO direct as the backorder for bintel was a month. IT was cheaper and arrived in 7 days and no GST
Nik stick with them, they are busy because they are just so good.

When I bought my EQ6 mount many years ago, Lee the man who we should all thank for generally lowering prices for astronomy gear in Australia, delivered the mount to my Sydney home personally. He did not know me from a bar of soap.

He and all the team there are great...I was speaking to Lee today and he is just such a nice bloke, really helpful...I was discussing a mount and all he was trying to do was save me money...Luke is to email me next week but if he doesn't I expect that he is just run off his feet so I will understand and ring him.

Lee was saying business has increased and we guess it is because of the virus with folk realising money spent on astronomy makes more sense than eating out...so please do not deny yourself the opportunity of great prices and fabulous back up because of a non reply...trust me...when I was in business it got to the stage where there were so many people after me I could not return calls ..it is a good sign not a bad one...Lee and his team really deserve our support cause without them where do you think prices would be.
Alex
Old 26-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Nik stick with them, they are busy because they are just so good.

When I bought my EQ6 mount many years ago, Lee the man who we should all thank for generally lowering prices for astronomy gear in Australia, delivered the mount to my Sydney home personally. He did not know me from a bar of soap.

He and all the team there are great...I was speaking to Lee today and he is just such a nice bloke, really helpful...I was discussing a mount and all he was trying to do was save me money...Luke is to email me next week but if he doesn't I expect that he is just run off his feet so I will understand and ring him.

Lee was saying business has increased and we guess it is because of the virus with folk realising money spent on astronomy makes more sense than eating out...so please do not deny yourself the opportunity of great prices and fabulous back up because of a non reply...trust me...when I was in business it got to the stage where there were so many people after me I could not return calls ..it is a good sign not a bad one...Lee and his team really deserve our support cause without them where do you think prices would be.
Alex

I'm not prepared to wait 6-8 weeks on backorder when I can order direct and get a shedload cheaper. Case in point it's a 2 month wait for an asiair pro at bintel for $599 I can order one from asi direct with postage and it is $180 cheaper even after the exchange and the wait is 3 weeks. Why be held to ransom? I can understand on big ticket items like a mount then definitely local. But smaller items definitely shop around.
Old 26-06-2020, 04:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
I'm not prepared to wait 6-8 weeks on backorder when I can order direct and get a shedload cheaper. Case in point it's a 2 month wait for an asiair pro at bintel for $599 I can order one from asi direct with postage and it is $180 cheaper even after the exchange and the wait is 3 weeks. Why be held to ransom? I can understand on big ticket items like a mount then definitely local. But smaller items definitely shop around.
Of course..in fact Lee said to me today if I wanted a zwo camera that I should order direct...my only point was don't write them off because they fail to answer an email..that happens, they would be embarrassed clearly, but they still are a great crew..just don't forget that they can help in certain situations where you both will benefit from doing business with each other.
Alex
Old 26-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Of course..in fact Lee said to me today if I wanted a zwo camera that I should order direct...my only point was don't write them off because they fail to answer an email..that happens, they would be embarrassed clearly, but they still are a great crew..just don't forget that they can help in certain situations where you both will benefit from doing business with each other.
Alex
I haven't written them off mate I do think however Andrews need to update their website from 1998 to 2020
Also they can only do so much when I am based in Melbourne.
Old 26-06-2020, 04:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I can understand a LITTLE markup for local guys, but when I am essentially paying a markup equivalent to 2.5 people's hourly wages over what ZWO charges for the same 2" filter, you can understand why many of us are starting to go direct. $80 extra for a filter??? I'd be fine at $20 over, but when each sale is such a mark up or more, plus a LONG wait, there is no way this black duck is going to pay it.
Old 26-06-2020, 04:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
I haven't written them off mate I do think however Andrews need to update their website from 1998 to 2020
Also they can only do so much when I am based in Melbourne.
I see the problem now...and I have the solution as always..just to help...you need to move to Sydney.
Alex
Old 26-06-2020, 09:25 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
I see the problem now...and I have the solution as always..just to help...you need to move to Sydney.
Alex
Hahahaha Your premier thinks otherwise mate