Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Lee and welcome to the group
Thanks for the links to the websites

Hope you have a great time here
Old 16-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Grinz

Thanks, Rick - thanks for the welcome

A very active and friendly group you have here! I'm sure to visit often. Glad McNaught brought me here *smile*
Old 18-01-2007, 09:45 AM
auroradude
Out... in the cold

Another newbie following McNaught

Hello all,
I also was brought here by the Great comet McNaught. I have been following it over the past couple weeks from the great white north in Alaska. After a couple successful daylight sightings it has left our sky for good. This looks like a great site to follow the action from "down under". I can already see some fantastic images coming in!
It is also a dream of mine to see the satrs of the southern hemisphere some day.
Kindest regards,

Dennis A.
Homer, Alaska
Old 18-01-2007, 10:07 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroradude View Post
Hello all,
I also was brought here by the Great comet McNaught. I have been following it over the past couple weeks from the great white north in Alaska. After a couple successful daylight sightings it has left our sky for good. This looks like a great site to follow the action from "down under". I can already see some fantastic images coming in!
It is also a dream of mine to see the satrs of the southern hemisphere some day.
Kindest regards,

Dennis A.
Homer, Alaska

And my great dream is to see your aurora one day, Dennis. That's one of my special desires in life. One day.........

Oh, and welcome to Ice in Space - enjoy the excitement over Comet McNaught "down under".
Old 18-01-2007, 10:19 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hi Dennis! welcome aboard

McNaught has been great so far and theres so much life left in it i recon

you live in a town called "Homer"? lol, sorry i am a simpsons fan
Old 19-01-2007, 09:03 AM
auroradude
Out... in the cold

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I say warm because wilst you are swatting skeeters we're shoveling plenty of snow.

Eric:
Its not quite the real thing but you can see plenty of aurora images at my site here www.aurordude.com

Ving:
Unfortunately our town is not named after someone so respectable as Homer Simpson. Instead the fella for whom we are named was one Homer Pentock. Not much nis known about him except that he was a con man. Supposedly duped a lot of people out of a lot of money in some gold mining scam. There must not have been a lot of notable citizens back then.

Boy, this comet is shaping up to be a real beaut. I sure wish I were there first hand. I even checked plane tickets to see if there were any cheap seats to fill... no such luck. Oh well the Southern Cross will wait for now.

Regards,
Dennis A.
Old 19-01-2007, 10:29 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Dennis

Thanks for the link. Love the photos and the animations. I'm coming - one day.......and I'll stand out all night looking until I freeze - and die happy!

ps. needs an extra "a" in the link:- http://www.auroradude.com

Eric
Old 19-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Grinz

Dennis, I too would love to see the Northern Lights the way you do - and have dreamt of a trip to Alaska for a long time!
If you cannot get to Aussie on cheap seats, remember there is us too A bit of a gambling game here in Cape Town with cloud (the day before yesterday was wonderful, last night it was raining at sunset! ) but chances are you would be able to enjoy both the comet and Crux here too . I'll throw in Eta Carina (my top fav), the Tarantula, 47 Tuc and as a special bonus Alpha Cen. Coffee is on the house.

However, one thing is for sure, this site is much more active with many more pictures and obs. reports than what we have, so like you I am thrilled to be allowed here as a guest of these friendly people from Aus & NZ.
Old 20-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Dujon
SKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinz View Post
. . . so like you I am thrilled to be allowed here as a guest of these friendly people from Aus & NZ.
Whilst I am a relative newcomer myself, Grinz, and I do reside in Australia, I think you can forget the 'guest' bit of your post. It seems that we have members from the UK, The Continent, the U.S. of A. and other bits and pieces of this globe on which we reside.

Perhaps I shouldn't speak on behalf of those who have been here for much longer than have I, nevertheless I think you will find yourself accepted as a fully accredited member of this forum. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, welcome.
Old 20-01-2007, 12:11 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Dennis.

You can check out where some of our members come from here . Well for those who put their Lat and Long in their user options anyway . Although some of them are a bit of a wory. There are a few undersea cities we're not being told about.
Old 20-01-2007, 07:56 PM
auroradude
Out... in the cold

Welcome words

Thanks again for the kind words.
I was just doing some distance calculations and it seems that South Africa is quite a bit further than Austrailia for me so that would be an expensive cup of coffee indeed! We too keep a pot on so help yourself!
Thanks for the link to the map. I am the red dot in the extreme upper left. Perhaps there are some fishermen/astronomers out on the high seas?

Wow! the latest shots of the comet tail today are stunning!
Old 21-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Grinz

Thanks John! I feel at home for sure.

Dennis, and there I was, getting the kettle ready and wondering if you would prefer cheesecake or chocolate cake.

Beer then? Better not too many of those, the comet alone is enough to send me on a completely different plane at the moment. I can imagine the way I feel at the moment is like being on drugs... drugs that cannot harm your body in any way. Win-win all the way.
Old 22-01-2007, 06:36 AM
auroradude
Out... in the cold

Once, I had a beer milk shake. It was made with a strong imperial-style stout with chocolate. The concept seemed a little wierd but it was ....Mmmmm....delicious!

Those images of McNaught just keep getting better. I wonder though does anybody still shoot film?
Old 24-01-2007, 12:08 PM
duncan
Duncan

Hi to everyone into space and such.this is my first go at anything like this,so i'll keep it short.Grinz.you lucky person,we've had a million octaves of cloud here for a month now and cant even see the moon.no i have not seen the comet yet but live in hope the skies will clear in the next month or so.and to all you other lucky people out there,
Old 24-01-2007, 12:16 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinz View Post
Thanks John! I feel at home for sure.
and so you should, we share the same skies
Old 24-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Duncan and welcome to the group.
Where is Yungaburra ?????

Cheers
Old 24-01-2007, 12:32 PM
duncan
Duncan

Yungaburra

Hi Ric,thanks for the welcome.Yungaburra is in far nth.Qld. On the Atherton tableland.About an hour southwest of Cairns. Sounds like one nice scope you have there. I've got an old beat up pair of 10x50 Binos that work sometimes(lol).ONE DAY!!!!! All the best,Duncan.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Duncan, so it's that way. I was last up that way in 96, the wife and I had a 6 week holiday camping and touring around by motorbike and trailor. We had a great time and met lots of great people.

Cheers
Old 24-01-2007, 12:44 PM
duncan
Duncan

yeah great place just a shame monsoons and comet collided
Old 24-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I've often wondered how you guy's and girls dont go stir crazy in the rainy season with all that cloud and no sky.

Cheers