Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Doing some time lapse astro with Canon 14 mm F2.8 II

Looking for some tips on time lapse astro.My son is up from Brisbane this current new moon,and bought along a Canon 14 mm F 2.8II (amazing glass-highly recommended!).We did some three minute exposures of Milky Way region last night (this lens is so way better than my 10-22 EF-S at 10 mm at F3.5).

Anyhow,the images were very nice,we had the lens on a Caonon 600D,and on Vixen GP mount with tracking.My son is talking about wanting to do time lapse.I am wondering if anyone here can point us to some links,or give some basic advice on how to go about it,we did three minute exp at f2.8 and iso 800,but lots of frames needed,so up the iso and lower the time.

Perhaps not a good time of year,with MW setting now.He wants to get an automated dolly trolly from work,and do that bit too (we will not be doing this tonight-think he has been on the net too much-he saw a clip from NZ time lapse astr0-with volcanoes-not doing that tonight either LOL)

There was quite a bit of interest and post on here a while back doing this sort of thing but I think it faded away a bit-there was a member called 'Fred Bassett' (name may not br correct-sorry),that had some fantastic posts on this.

Any help or pointers-much appreciated-son seems a bit interested in astro imaging-that lens will do very nicely for such.

thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
there was a member called 'Fred Bassett
, I think you mean IIS member Bassnut (Fred).
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
gregbradley

Vixen Polarie setup horizontally works as a panning device. You can switch it from southern hemisphere to northern if you want the panning to go in the opposite direction.

I have used a Nikon D800E for time lapse and it has an inbuilt time lapse function which works well and outputs as a .mov file.

Most shoot in RAW and use templates from Granite Bay software to create time lapses once they have processed one RAW image. You can use the sync command in Lightroom to make all the images in the sequence use the same settings as your first processed RAW which is a great function.

A typical time lapse would be:

30 seconds
F2.8
long exposure noise reduction off.
ISO setting would depend on the camera but ISO3200 would be minimum
some handle ISO6400 (late model full frames).
White balance to 4350K (can be adjusted in post if shot in RAW).
Use an intervalometer.
Manual focus
You may need some insulation around the lens to prevent dewing or even dewheating straps.

Process in Adobe Lightroom.

Greg.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks Greg.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
naskies (Dave)

I just saw this thread, Chris, but Greg's description is almost exactly what I did for my Leyburn time lapse - with the same Canon 14 mm f/2.8L II you're talking about. I only occasionally dabble in time lapses, so I'm certainly no expert.

The only difference to Greg's workflow is that I used QuickTime Pro to convert stills to a movie (I already had it; I wouldn't recommend buying it just for that feature). VirtualDub is a free tool that can do it. LRTimeLapse (commercial) is used by a few people on here; might be worth looking into.

http://timelapseblog.com/2009/08/04/...or-time-lapse/

Only other thing is that I always leave the WB on Auto in camera and shoot in RAW. If the sky colour changes a lot during the night (e.g waves of airglow come and go), I find that Auto gives more pleasing results. Custom/manual WB is more reliable if you have lots of artificial colours - e.g. foreground lights - that throws off Auto WB.