Old 14-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

SGP, Plate Solve 2 and Eta Carina Issues

Hi all,

I have a weird ongoing issue using Plate Solve 2 in SGP. It nearly always fails around Eta Carina and only Eta. It will work fine everywhere else I’ve tried, even right next door at the Statue of Liberty. I have once or twice managed to get it to work using one of my previous nights images as the reference but then it will fail again on meridian flip.

Has anyone else noticed this issue, or have any thoughts on how I might rectify it?

At present my only work around is to go to via CdC and then manually move the mount to frame as close as I can by eye.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 15-01-2021, 08:06 AM
Sayfog (Alistair)

Try using ASTAP maybe? I've never dug into using it with SGP - but it's been flawless for me in NINA, apparently it can be used as a drop in platesolve2 replacement, but I'm not sure if you'll need to do more than maybe rename the .exe and update the platesolve exe location in SGP though.

It might work, might not, I can't say for certain but its an idea.
Old 15-01-2021, 08:34 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I recall having a similar issue, I can not remember if it was Eta Carina, but it was in that bit of the sky. There was one area and one area only that just would not solve with PS2, in my case it would then failover to blind solving via the local atrometry.net backup and off it would go.

You can use ASTAP in SGP but you have to do a bit more than just select it to set it up. Google will be your friend there (I can't look up how I did it quickly, I am at work)
Old 15-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Paulyman (Paul)

Thanks guys. I’ll double check my settings first, I must not have it set to failover to blind solving, I thought I had. That should work as this is the only part of the sky it fails on.

If that doesn’t work I’ll try astap.