Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Insane Climber (Jason)

Astrometry and World wide telescope

Just found something cool and thought i would share. If you join the Flickr group called Astrometry and post an astro pic, they will tag astrometric data to your pic, you can then view your pic in flickr and link to World Wide Telescope. Where you will see your image overlayed onto the sky.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Can you explain how, it is mention in their forum but detail explaining how to do it or even it could be done.

I dont like signing up to every website group imaginable as you are generally locked in once you register.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Insane Climber (Jason)

Ok, you need to join Flicker first, then join the astrometry group, which doesn't require any signing up, just search for the group and join. After that post a pic into the group pool. Wait approx 2 hours for the astrometric data to be linked to your pic. You will recieve a message describeing any NGC objects that are present in your pic and as you scroll your mouse over the image labels of the objects will appear. Once this is done just scroll down the page and click the link to world wide telescope. The WWT page will open, you may have to wait several min while it loads, once loaded WWT will scroll around to where your pic position is, and overlay the pic, all automatically.

Hope that helps
Jas
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
bojan
amateur

I guess you need to supply coordinates of the image centre and scale data.. .. or the plate solver would run and done everything for you automatically?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Insane Climber (Jason)

This is what i found so exciteing! The astrometric data is all worked from pattern recognition. If you suffer from field rotation, like i do it even makes an approximation to lay the pic. Some people are even takeing happy snap type photo's and they are bieing resolved quite easily. The only set back i have seen, is that small fields of view that are filled with nebula type colours. sometimes cannot be resolved.

From what i understand, the person who started the group, is trying to write software to do pattern recognition. And this is his test or experiment, to try to perfect it.

Last edited by Insane Climber; 09-08-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
bojan
amateur

So it it's something like Elbrus.. previously discussed here ?
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=36259

I tried it, but it doesn't work every time..