Old 13-05-2009, 07:33 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Widefield imaging

Hey all.

Quick question....what's the best and most simple way to go about capturing widefield images?

Attach my 40D to a tripod and just shoot away (any probs with rotation?) or mount the camera on my EQ6? What mounting attachments are required to put it on the EQ6?

I know I could piggyback mount the camera on my C9.25...although I'm not sure which accessories I'd need for that???

Your thoughts?
Old 13-05-2009, 07:49 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You can always start just using a tripod. Though you'll be limited to exposures under 20 seconds depending on the lens you use.
Most scope rings have the mounting screw attachment thingy on them already, just put your camera on and away you go.
Otherwise you'll have to buy a dovetail plate and mounting screw.
Old 13-05-2009, 07:55 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Most scope rings have the mounting screw attachment thingy on them already, just put your camera on and away you go.
Most...but not all...certainly not the C9.25...which doesn't use rings.

I will have to investigate ways to mount my camera on the EQ6.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:37 AM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Hi Matt

You could try a short male to male dovetail plate with a D series camera adapter (providing your mount has D Series or Losmandy saddle).

Check here at ADM http://www.admaccessories.com/FORMgallery2.htm

Cheers
Old 13-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Matt

Not too sure of the mounting head configuration of your EQ6, but a block of wood cut to that width should be sufficiently rigid to hold just the camera and a lens?

I cut a block of wood with a longitudinal dovetail profile for my Vixen GPDX mount and the mount head screw “bites” into the wood so the block is unlikely to slide out! I fitted a ¼” Whitworth bolt (or ¼” UNC) so that the exposed length of bolt wasn’t so long that it bottoms out in the ¼” tripod socket on the base on the camera. This set up however, does limit the framing of objects, based on how well you can point the mount.

Other than that, I know that Sirius Optics stock some (Orion?) dovetail bars and if one fits your mount, you could drill and tap a hole and then fit a ball & socket head so you can orient the camera nicely. The bars may even have existing holes that are countersunk so you could just use a low profile socket head cap screw to attach a tripod head mount?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Tandum (Robin)

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-447

I got one of these but don;t know how it would go with a honking big lens on the camera.
Old 13-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

gday Matt

If you dont want to spend too much to have a go one method I have seen (requires some manufacturing on your part but) is to remove the small screw in cap/stopper on the end counterweight rod / bar (what your counterweights slide onto) of the EQ6. Go and buy a bolt with the same thread. Then go and buy a cheap tripod from some pawn shop, remove the head, and use the bolt to attach the head of the tripod (might require drilling a hole in teh base of it) to the end of your counterweight rod then rebalance. Your scope then obviously will be on the other side of the meridian than your camera but allows you to guide wide field images through your main scope with your camera pointing at whatever area of teh sky you want.

The downside is that it can get damn uncomfortable framing and focusing and anything other than widefield (say 50mm and less) may show the effect of guiding a considerable distance from your target but it will let you have a go and then decide if you want to go to a side by side saddle mount later (you could reuse your tripod head then but).

I have even seen tripod heads held on counterweight bars with hose clamps. Cant comment on the suitability of this - but it would let you have a go.

MB

Last edited by h0ughy; 14-05-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 16-05-2009, 09:57 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I'll have a fossick around the house and see if I can work something DIY up....before perhaps heading off to the astro stores
Old 16-05-2009, 11:18 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I think the easiest way would be to bolt a small dovetail to the bottom of a piece of wood. put a 1/4" 20 bolt through to attach the camera and a locking bolt so you can screw the bolt up into the camera...

With you're 70-200 lens you should be able to get 10 minute unguided shots with a very precise polar alignment. 5 minute subs should be easily attainable...

Good luck mate, and welcome to deep sky imaging! I hope your wallet is prepared for what you're about to do!!
Old 16-05-2009, 11:46 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Matt,
If you can, you should take a trip up to Cambroon Observatory next Saturday night.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=44858
Old 16-05-2009, 12:11 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Agreed... You'll definitely leave there with 1001 good ideas for where to go next!
Old 16-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Jules

Hi,
I have a ball head for the camera, which I bought secondhand.

That's attached to my dovetail mounted on my GP/DX.

Makes it very easy to frame, and for wide field a polar aligned mount should be good enough. No need to autoguide, since your 9.25 doesn't have rings...

Julian