Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-10-2019, 10:46 AM
vlazg (George)

Mounts - thoughts?

I am looking to upgrade my mount for heavier equipement.
At the moment i have an AZEQ6 pro and whilst i am happy with the performance , it will not be enough for a new imaging train.

I wish i could afford an AP or 10 micron but these are above my budget.

I am looking at a Losmandy G11 or an Ioptron CEM 60.

Any thoughts on these for astrophotography would be appreciated.

With Thanks

George
Old 19-10-2019, 10:52 AM
leon

George I owned and used a G11 for some time to do imaging, and found it very robust and quite easy to set up and use.
If possible and if funds permit get the Maxxon motor up grade very smooth and powerful little motors.
About the other option you mention, well I cant comment on that as I have never used one.

Leon
Old 19-10-2019, 10:55 AM
glend (Glen)

What sort of weight do you need to handle? Mounts like the CGX can handle imaging with a true 25kg of gear on it, well above the Skywatcher limit. I found that Skywatcher claimed limits were often for visual use, and realistic imaging weights were maybe 2/3rds of their advertised limit. The CGX/L has a true 34kg imaging limit, well above the CGEM 60. So i am saying make sure you compare apples to apples - proven imaging carrying capability.

Consider whether the mount has the technology to make it easy to use, and protect it and the gear your swinging on it, for example, programmable axis limit sensors and ability to image past the Meridian, programmable home features, etc. You also should consider how you want to interface to and drive the mount, most come with hand controllers still, but many imagers use PC connectivity and some mounts provide direct USB connection and software provided by the maker or an allied software contractor, to make connectivity to common imaging apps easy.
It's not just a decision about capacity, imho.

Last edited by glend; 19-10-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 19-10-2019, 11:01 AM
vlazg (George)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
What sort of weight do you need to handle? Mounts like the CGX can handle imaging with a true 25kg of gear on it, well above the Skywatcher limit. I found that Skywatcher claimed limits were often for visual use, and realistic imaging weights were maybe 2/3rds of their advertised limit. So i am saying make sure you compare apples to apples - proven imaging carrying capability.

Thanks Glen, i am looking at about 25kg +-
The 2 as advertised suggest that they are capable of carrying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
George I owned and used a G11 for some time to do imaging, and found it very robust and quite easy to set up and use.
If possible and if funds permit get the Maxxon motor up grade very smooth and powerful little motors.
About the other option you mention, well I cant comment on that as I have never used one.

Thanks Leon, the new Losmandy mounts have the upgraded motors and worm and is also now spring loaded

Leon
Old 19-10-2019, 11:13 AM
vlazg (George)

Also i will be using this in the field, i'm 69 so weight of the mount is a factor
Old 19-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Have you looked at the EQ8 if you are familiar with Skywatcher?
Old 19-10-2019, 03:10 PM
vlazg (George)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Have you looked at the EQ8 if you are familiar with Skywatcher?
Too heavy and more than i need
Old 20-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Wavytone

Skywatcher CQ350 would be the next logical step up from an AZEQ6, if/when one becomes available.
Old 20-10-2019, 04:12 PM
vlazg (George)

The thought of a machined mount such as the losmandy tends to appeal to me, the Chinese mounts although improving, still have cast components It’s accurate tracking, reliability, and being able to service it myself due to the cost of sending anything away from here is important