Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-08-2020, 01:42 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Doghouse Climate Control

Hi all, I’m looking for some ideas on how to improve it. I‘m thinking of a little portable unit of some sort that doesn’t draw much power (500W or so). I was hoping to find a little reverse cycle system but it doesn’t look like they exist for tiny applications. Anyone use something that heats and cools or do most just use seperate units for heating, cooling, dehumidifying e.t.c?
Old 31-08-2020, 05:50 AM
appiice (Ed)

Heat / Cool

Hello LIS

I had a small portable A/C from bunnings ( from memory $350.00ish ) for cooling but it was so loud I got rid of it.
I had the smallest reverse cycle A/C I could find, about $1400.00 installed, and use that for heating and cooling.
Works really well, I have solar panels so I turn it on in the afternoon to heat or cool the room, when I am using the obs, having the unit on the nighttime setting is enough to stay cool or warm, the head unit is virtually overhead and I can only just hear it.
Hope this help
Ed
Old 31-08-2020, 07:05 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks Ed do you have a link to the A/C unit? Your scenario seems similar to mine. I too have a solar setup so power consumption is very important. I’ve also been looking at exhaust fans as an option.
Old 31-08-2020, 11:36 AM
glend (Glen)

Those portable Air Con units are very loud. I bought one to cool a guest room and the guests had to turn it off. They sell them everywhere, Bing Lee, Harvey Norman, etc etc.including Bunnings, but they are useless because of the noise and need to exhaust warm air through a window opening.

I had to laugh at the Hound Air Con unit, here:
https://youtu.be/2w7xlrABRNw

You can find anything on the internet.
Old 31-08-2020, 12:59 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

I had to laugh at the Hound Air Con unit, here:
https://youtu.be/2w7xlrABRNw

You can find anything on the internet.
Heating, cooling, windows, front porch, AC power, and a butler! These dogs are living better than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaV0khde0M
Old 31-08-2020, 06:13 PM
appiice (Ed)

Hello LIS

Sorry no link, I have a mate who is a HVAC supplier so I asked him to supply and fit it, the link below is to one I found on ebay, it looks to be the same as the one I have, $680.00 the cheapest option would be to go with a supplier / installer ( usually ) I think any of the modern inverter systems are likely to give good service. The little " portable " one from memory had a one speed fan and like Glen said they are LOUD!!

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/1528154750...85307089680294

Ed
Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Those portable Air Con units are very loud. I bought one to cool a guest room and the guests had to turn it off. They sell them everywhere, Bing Lee, Harvey Norman, etc etc.including Bunnings, but they are useless because of the noise and need to exhaust warm air through a window opening.

Furthermore, these devices take indoor air from the room to push through their heat exchanger on the high pressure side. This creates a constant partial vacuum within the room. Ultimately, the Aircon must cool warm, outside air, which is drawn in through gaps in the room. This smashes any chance of efficiency (reflected by the 1-3 stars you see on their sticker). As mentioned, the noise is atrocious. I bought one out of laziness. It was so bad I gave it to my Parents. They gave it away a week later, and nothing of value was lost.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:14 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks guys. I'm reconsidering this and think that perhaps installing more vents and/or using exhaust fans may be a more efficient solution all round. My main concern is removing any heat buildup during the hot summer days. Any tips/suggestions are welcomed.