Old 23-06-2015, 07:19 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Anyone using a Canon 7D mk2 ?

Well just got back after three months of vermin control work for the government travelling around the back blocks,part of the work involves photography,and many images get used in magazine articles I write regularly (check the July issue of 'Sporting Shooter' for a six page article on wildlife photography I wrote) I am getting more of this type of work and looking at another camera body.My 50D works fine and the images are always well received but wonder if I could do better with a newer more advance camera.I have not seen any reviews or anyone mention this new 7D mk 2 I notice the price from DWI is around $1600

Keen to hear form nature/wildlife photographers.I'd be mainly using such a body with my 400 mm prime canon lens as it gets most of the use.
Old 23-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Derek Klepp

Chris this Is a great camera as far as specs go I was going to get one as I have the 60D but after handling it I got another 6D that way all the features were similar as in the controls.I would really recommend going to a camera shop and trying one out.Due to the nature of your work it would seem that the 7d mk ll or the 5D mklll would be the best suited cameras.
Hope this helps a little cheers Derek
Old 23-06-2015, 08:54 AM
RB (Andrew)

Yes, I bought one a few weeks ago, mainly for it's super fast shutter speed (10 fps).
Sounds like a machine gun going off!

I wanted to get a body that was well suited for wildlife & action and this camera is ideal IMHO.
Beautiful build quality, well sealed, feels wonderful to handle and has superior focus abilities.
Love the fact that it uses both CF and SD cards, don't have to ditch the CFs that I already have and I can load it with an SD too if I want, awesome.

For any other work I use the 5D MkII but you certainly see the improvements in these new bodies over the older generation bodies.

I haven't used it yet for anything serious but I'm very very happy with what I've got so far in terms of image quality.

For me, this camera delivers what it promises on and I'm glad I bought it.

Later I may also upgrade the 5D MkII but for now, very happy with my Canon lineup.

RB
Old 23-06-2015, 09:54 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Yes, I bought one a few weeks ago, mainly for it's super fast shutter speed (10 fps).
Sounds like a machine gun going off!

I wanted to get a body that was well suited for wildlife & action and this camera is ideal IMHO.
Beautiful build quality, well sealed, feels wonderful to handle and has superior focus abilities.
Love the fact that it uses both CF and SD cards, don't have to ditch the CFs that I already have and I can load it with an SD too if I want, awesome.

For any other work I use the 5D MkII but you certainly see the improvements in these new bodies over the older generation bodies.

I haven't used it yet for anything serious but I'm very very happy with what I've got so far in terms of image quality.

For me, this camera delivers what it promises on and I'm glad I bought it.

Later I may also upgrade the 5D MkII but for now, very happy with my Canon lineup.

RB
Sounds great,was not aware of some of the features you mention,but did have an idea of of the high shutter speed.
Old 23-06-2015, 11:50 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
Sounds great,was not aware of some of the features you mention,but did have an idea of of the high shutter speed.
Also, another cool feature is it has audio headphone out.
I'm getting into producing interview type clips using Rode Video mic's and NTG2's, Phantom power via iRig Pre.
Now it's handy to have headphone out jack to monitor the audio.
As a matter of fact people have complained that Canon dropped this feature in the new 5Ds

This is handy for someone like your son creating video.

Old 24-06-2015, 09:07 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I agree with RB's comments on the 7DII, it's a seriously good camera ( and it's black...).
Old 24-06-2015, 09:17 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
( and it's black...).
It's the biggest selling point Phil !