Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Eta Carina NGC 3372 following night

Same capture, stacking and processing as Sunday night but this time with a properly collimated OTA providing rounder stars at edge of field ( not torch flares ) although like always, seeing conditions were no where near as good as Sunday night
Guiding was struggling a bit especially with the odd wind gust and jet stream up above ( total rms error 1.70 to 2.50 arc sec )
My Canon 600D sensor temp was up too at around 36 deg , Sunday night it was 29 to 30deg
Can’t have it all I suppose
Happy with the resul
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (93AD4C59-7AEB-454F-8AE4-854EBBB2859E.jpg)
188.6 KB44 views
Old 13-02-2019, 07:03 AM
RyanJones

Hi Martin,

Nice capture again, good work

There's always something that makes a night less than perfect. Wind, moon, seeing and when nature decides to play ball, that's when equipment issues start. It's a never ending cycle lol. But we still love it.

If I can make a suggestion. Sunday nights stars were sharper than these but overall in both photos they are quite overwhelming and distract from the nebulosity. I'm not sure what software you're using but maybe try some kind of star reduction ? Just a suggestion and one that is subjective.

Nice work
Old 13-02-2019, 07:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Good work Martin...as Ryan said ... there is always something to manage.
Try stacking the images from both nights☺
As to Ryans observation re stars...if you would like to try this...in Gimp there is a feature in filters..in "Generic" titled "Erode".
I have used it to good effect..the key is to increase your image size greatly..I usually at least double it ..apply "Erode" ...look and judge the result...sometimes it does not produce what I want but I always try it...anyways it can have a pleasing effect on the stars as it causes them to get a little smaller and less dominant.
Alex
Old 13-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Ryan and Alex
The Sunday image is a lot cleaner with tighter stars as I didn’t use wavelet sharpening in Startools plus the subs were cleaner
The Monday night image I used wavelet sharpening which accentuates the stars plus I used the Magic module to expand and tighten but obviously it make them tight
Yes it’s all a learning curve , you can’t use the exact same workflow on every image as every image is different in its own way, but I’m learning
Give me another year using Startools and I’ll have it under control , it’s so intuitive and great for noobs like me

Thanks

Looks like some lunar imaging ( if folk are interested in the moon ) for the next week or so
Old 13-02-2019, 10:12 AM
RyanJones

Totally agree that the workflow is different for every image. Such a steep learning curve then throw in a change in equipment and sometimes it can feel like you're starting again.