Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Observatory - decisions, decisions!!!!

I am going to build an Observatory (bigger than my current Micro-obs) but I am not 100% sure where to place it. I am open to suggestions.

I have chosen 3 locations on my property (3 1/2 acres) and each one is progressively better, but with progressively bigger problems.

1. 8m from my mini Obs present location: in back yard
Pros - not far to walk, still in back yard for safety from burglars, not far to run power.
Cons - trees in the way of Northern sky up to about 45 degrees. Sill close to house lights and heat of house roof.

2. 35m from present location: in first paddock
Pros - Still not far to walk. Relatively safe. almost full sky.
Cons - Power starting get a bit far away, in line with street light.

3. 130m from present location: in back paddock (fully visible from house)
Pros - Highest spot on property (top of hill), totally unhindered sky, pitch black.
Cons - Long long way for power to get too, problem of possible break-in.

I know I could set up Solar power or a generator, but all this has to be done with a budget of $Zero. The 3rd option sounds best, but power is it's drawback.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Go option 3 - take SLA batteries with you until you save up to run the power up there. Treat it like a field trip, but with comfortable chairs!

One thing I have found in the 2 years I've been doing this hobby, taking the "cheaper"/"easier" option just means you have to do it again at additional expense when you get so sick of it it drives you mad.

Save the headache - do the best option, and worry about power later.

Turbo
Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Thanks for your suggestion, Turbo. It's a good way of looking at it.

What's an SLA battery?

I run one PC, one lappy, the mount, and various other 240 volt items. All up I have 8 items sucking 240v.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

G'Day,
For what it's worth I'd go option 3,Only wish I had a couple of acres I have mine about 1 mtr from the back fence
Cheers
Arthur
Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I have a similar problem but on a larger scaleas I have 50ha to play with.
I want to build an observatory also. My choices are
1. 50m up my paddock near the powerpole so I can get 240v to the shed but where there are some trees up to about 30deg in all directions.
2. 300m down the paddock where there are no trees but it is blurry cold. Some 5 deg colder than in the trees but electricity is 300m away.
I have deceided on near the power pole as I don't think that I would do much viewing below 30deg anyway and getting down to -7C is just too cold.
For you, use the spot that you will use the most. That is where the skies are darkest.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

I'm crying tears of blood for all you country folk who can't decide whereabouts on the gazillion acres under pitch dark skies to put the obs! I wish I had that much space to worry about such....

Seriously - I agree - option 3 as above..... although if you build the observatory so it can be reasonably easily dismantled and moved, you could do option 2 then switch to 3..... I made mine "movable" but now I think I'm dreaming.... turned out heavier/bigger than my mental blueprints had predicted!
How about option 1 with the phone-a-friend-with-the-chainsaw lifeline???
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
3. 130m from present location: in back paddock (fully visible from house)
Pros - Highest spot on property (top of hill), totally unhindered sky, pitch black.
Cons - Long long way for power to get too, problem of possible break-in.
Got to be 3!

The idea of having a clear sky and dark conditions is surely a big drawcard. You can use battery power – and an inverter if you need 240v – same as folks do on boats and motorhomes. If the batteries are small enough you can take them back to the house for recharging. (Thinks ... you may need a pure sine wave inverter for some equipment. Also, SLA = sealed lead acid.)

It depends on your exact situation, but perhaps 'break-ins' can be partly solved by an alarm system, or planting some sort of vegetation - or make some other structure - that 'hides' the observatory.

Good luck! Hopefully next year I'll have similar choices to make, so I'll be asking you for help!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
What's an SLA battery?
Sealed lead acid battery..... 12V available in a bunch of capacities - you would need a few for your stuff I think!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I'd go with option 3 too. Convert as much as possible to DC power and run off "deep cycle" SLA batteries (great prices at Radio Parts in Carnegie - no affiliation, just bought mine there). If you really need 240V for something get an inverter but 12V DC should be able to run everything. (you might need a lappy only setup or someone with knowledge of electronics to hack your PC..)
Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 PM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodium View Post
I'm crying tears of blood for all you country folk who can't decide whereabouts on the gazillion acres under pitch dark skies to put the obs! I wish I had that much space to worry about such....
G'Day,
You must have been reading my mind Wish that was all I had to worry about .
Cheers
Arthur
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

One or maybe two spare batteries for the lappy might be all you need to get through the night without mains power for it.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodium View Post

Seriously - I agree - option 3 as above..... although if you build the observatory so it can be reasonably easily dismantled and moved, you could do option 2 then switch to 3..... I made mine "movable" but now I think I'm dreaming.... turned out heavier/bigger than my mental blueprints had predicted!
No need to cry tears just move out of that big light polution thingy called a city. Land is cheaper and you actually get what you pay for rather than what some real estate w'nker thinks he can get for it.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
norm

Option 3 Ken.

Dark site would be hard to give up.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:18 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Beg, borrow or whatever a little portable generator. Check the Cash Convertors for a used one?? I believe modern ones can be almost silent, but put it at the end of 30m of cable and it shouldn't be too loud. You just have to walk up with a few litres of petrol each evening!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Satchmo

Why not a solar panel to keep the batteries charged up.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Jarrod
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Beg, borrow or whatever a little portable generator. Check the Cash Convertors for a used one?? I believe modern ones can be almost silent, but put it at the end of 30m of cable and it shouldn't be too loud. You just have to walk up with a few litres of petrol each evening!
Yep, A generator is the way to go. you can get a small generator for under $100, and it'll easily power your observatory. just make a little shelter to protect it from the elements and to muffle out the sound. and as Eric said, set it up 30m or so from your observatory, and all you'll notice is a faint hum.

You could also use the generator to charge a few batteries, so then you won't have to run the generator on those nights when you only plan on going out for an hour or so.

Jarrod
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Option 3 with some charged batteries. When the budget allows set up a solar system for the batteries and the beer fridge
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Option 3, I know your budget is zero but... go to Bunnings and buy some 30 metre extension cords and weatherproof covers, they aren't that expensive, totally silent and don't use any fuel. If you haven't already got an RCD on your power circuit buy one at the same time, I remember seeing them for around $12 at Bunnings. With a bit of luck you'll get the power to the site for around $100, just don't let the sheep chew it...
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

That's funny
several of you suggested Generators. I have suggested generators to others before.
But if you read my first post you'll see it says:
Quote:
I know I could set up Solar power or a generator, but all this has to be done with a budget of $Zero.
Yes, I totally agree with all of you, option 3 is the best, but it always comes back to the Power question.

Eric, the lappy's battery is cactus and it is so old the batteries for it aren't available any more.

Steve, I can't run things on 12v as they are all 240v items (except the mount).

Yes, the possibility of running on batteries and a 240v invertor sounds great. But $Zero doesn't buy that gear.

I know it's really a dumb question when I have no $$$, but I can build almost anything from nothing. It's this power problem that has got me stumped.

Option 1 and 2 aren't a problem for power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodium
Seriously - I agree - option 3 as above..... although if you build the observatory so it can be reasonably easily dismantled and moved, you could do option 2 then switch to 3.....
Quite a good idea, Lee. I might have to seriously look into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodium
They are the only 3 trees on my whole property and provide cooling shade next to the house in summer. The rest of the land is clear.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Option 3, I know your budget is zero but... go to Bunnings and buy some 30 metre extension cords and weatherproof covers, they aren't that expensive, totally silent and don't use any fuel. If you haven't already got an RCD on your power circuit buy one at the same time, I remember seeing them for around $12 at Bunnings. With a bit of luck you'll get the power to the site for around $100, just don't let the sheep chew it...
Phil, I like your idea

But how far can I run extension leads before the power drops to a level where it won't run all my gear? 130m is a long way.

Also, what is an RCD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ELECTRIC SHEEP.jpg)
78.2 KB17 views

Last edited by ballaratdragons; 05-10-2007 at 08:48 PM.