Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 28-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Paramount

"Holy Grail" Time lapse

I was out all last night by Nidd Gorge in Harrogate shooting a "Holy Grail" time lapse (time lapse that runs from day to night, night to day or day to night to day, etc). It is technically difficult to do because there are many exposure changes required during the period in order to take into account the huge difference in lighting over the period. There are several ways of doing this, some easy, some hard and different methods can yield different results, some good and some not so good. The method I used was a special intervalometer called a 'Timelapse+ view' where you set a few parameters and start off with a correctly exposed shot and it then takes care of the exposure changes during the period of the time lapse, there will be a degree of 'flicker' visible whenever the exposure is changed but this is easily taken care of using a plug-in in Lightroom or using the "Holy Grail" facility in LRTimelapse.
This was taken with my Sony A7Sii and Samyang 24mm f1.4 lens and I took 1387 images altogether over about 9 hours. The exposures ranged between 1/320th of a second at f1.4 and ISO 100 to 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 500, I also used a Dynamic Perception Stage One slider with Sapphire Pro pan and tilt head for the movement. The intervalometer takes control of the slider and the camera, you program the move into the slider using a phone app, then programme the parameters for the exposure range into the intervalometer and then start the slider program and then the intervalometer, the intervalometer then triggers the camera and after the exposure has finished it triggers the slider to move before firing the camera again so it is nicely automated. It wasn't a perfect evening for my first outing with this gear what with the clouds and a full moon but the end result showed what the system is capable of, towards the end of the video clip you can make out the Pleiades and Hyades star clusters rising, unfortunately the moonlight washed out most of the sky when the clouds cleared. The changing brightness of the landscape isn't flicker, it is caused by shadows from the clouds and moon.
The video clip can be seen at the link below in 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8y...ature=youtu.be