Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Maxim DL - Foolproof guide

I know nothing is foolproof - fools are very ingenious - but is there a simple guide to using Maxim DL that anyone knows about?

I've just started using it and its so full featured that I am in danger of being entangled by it. The manual is good but a bit light on detail at times.

I'm most interested in calibration, stacking and colour mixing when using LRGB filters.

Pete
Old 11-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

I found the MaximDL help is very detailed, but sometimes a bit difficult to follow. I don't know of a 'foolproof' guide - sorry.

For the tasks you listed in your post (calibration, stacking and colour combine), I use CCDStack and after an initial learning curve, it's very user friendly. The help includes a 'concepts' section which is a great idea. It's worth the money, no question about it.
James
Old 11-06-2010, 03:43 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

I must admit that the CCD stack option for putting your images together is alot better than Maxim, sure it can do it but hey a Getz can get you from your house to the shops but peter wards farrari does it better
Old 11-06-2010, 05:29 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

To calibrate subs is fairly straight forward if you are using a cooled camera. I have a library of darks and bias frames (as masters for different exposure times) and shoot the flats on the night. I put the flats into a folder with the darks then use the wizard. If you go into "Process --> calibration wizard" you can create master flats, bias and dark frames etc which will then be used to calibrate your subs in one go. Once you have directed the wizard to the calibration files maxim knows where everything is. Calibration can be done as a batch operation " process ---> calibrate all". Easy as that, your frames are flat fielded and dark subtracted in the click of a button. When you capture the flats etc make sure you designate the exposure type (light, flat, dark etc) and maxim will do the rest. If you are shooting mono with filters the program automatically applies the correct flat (eg red) to the correct sub (eg red) which saves a lot of time.

What you need to do. (assuming you are using the DSI II for LRGB which makes a dark library a waste of time)
1. Take your darks (about 10) put in a seperate folder.
2. Take flats for each filter and put in seperate folder.
2. Shoot your bias frames if you want to use them (lots of fights over this around here) and put in seperate folder.
3. Put them all in one big folder called callibration frames for object X on date Y.
4. On the menu bar click Process --> calibration wizard: Direct the wizard to each of the folders for the correct type (e.g. flat, dark etc) and build masters for each.
5. Open up all of your subs: process--> calibrate all: You are done.

Like the others I find CCD stack is better to use when combining subs but it can still be done in maxim. CCD stack has better alignment options thats all.

Mark

Last edited by marki; 11-06-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 13-06-2010, 10:29 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks everyone

I've managed to align and combine a very nice M83 with RGB with Maxim. For some reason, it doesn't want to combine the L images. I keep receiving an error message stating that the L image plane is not available. I do generate the RGB file but it won't add the L. I've tried the 3 alternative colour combination methods (eg HST, RGB and something else I can't remember)

Is there a trick to doing LRGB? I am setting the group as LRGB at the outset and it tries to add it but fails.

I'll give CCDStack a go with a trial version if Maxim doesn't work but I am sure it is pilot error hence my request for a step by step guide.

Pete
Old 13-06-2010, 01:32 PM
gbeal

What "command" are you using Pete? I just had a real quick look at the Help file online and it appears the "Stack" command is what you need.
CCDStack is my choice, but I did see Maxim simply gobble up the required files and spit out the result, no pointing it to this frame or that, simply spat out the result, amazing. (and that included a binned RGB as well as a normal L).
Gary
Old 13-06-2010, 05:11 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Once you have opened your subs go to colour ---> combine which will open a new window. Click the LRGB option, place the corrosponding sub to each colour in the drop down menu's and you are off. The process ---> stack only allows RGB. There many more options under the colour tab.

Mark
Old 14-06-2010, 05:42 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Mark

legend! Got it now.

Thanks

Will post some photos soon

Pete