Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 18-09-2019, 02:58 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

LED street lighting in Sydney

I see in a recent thread from StuTodd in Dunedin NZ that some "success" has been achieved with the type of LED lighting used in some "sensitive" areas of that city.

Now that LED lighting in Sydney seems to be rolling out apace (especially in the Sydney City area) I am wondering if anyone has experienced LED street lighting in their area of Sydney.

I live in a suburban area which is currently close to sodium lighting on a main highway and mercury vapour in the local street lights and of course the general light glow from the city centre. I use a neodymium light pollution filter which notches out the above highway/street light pollution.

However, I read that the LED street lights have a wide spectrum and hence my present filter would provide little protection from this light pollution. I certainly hope that the intense white LED lights such as those use in modern car headlights will not be the norm as I and apparently many others do not appreciate being hit in the eye by these lights when driving.
I see that the Wikipedia article on LED street lighting indicates some health and other concerns.

Any comments?
Peter
Old 18-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Wavytone

well, are you going to do something about it ? If not, stop worrying.
Old 18-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

We have the same problem with street lighting but, many are complaining to each other yet NONE to the Council

I did complain but LED saves the council Łthousands
Old 19-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I've been down & am continuing to travel down this road with Cairns regional council.

I've been hitting them from the effects on human health, the environment, marine life & probably the best argument available, cost savings via reduced energy consumption. No point in arguing the benefits for backyard astronomers really, we're such a niche group, I doubt it would make for a strong argument.

Whilst you big city dwellers most likely think that a small regional town couldn't possibly have a huge light pollution issue, if you look at an LP map that shows the intensity of our bloom for such a small place, you would be appalled!!

Thus far, all I'm getting is excuses, they listen, they seem to be concerned but, & this is a big BUT, they claim they have little to no control over what gets installed!!

I've been amazed to hear what I would consider a huge conflict of interest here in QLD. According to council, ERGON Energy (Govt owned energy company) writes & controls the policy on what lights can be used, shielding requirements, light spacing, etc, etc... seriously doubt an energy retailer sees any value in reducing energy usage thus affecting their bottom line...

Seriously!! What bureaucrat thought that giving ERGON that responsibility was a good idea??

The good news (& it's not much), the council has shared with me their plans regarding future lighting & it does include adequate shielding to limit light spill but, it is LED in the 3000 - 4000k range & sadly, ERGON policy doesn't permit the lower k range??

The other 'excuse' I get is that council struggles over what they specify & what the contractor actually installs... sounds like they need to grow a set & hold the contractor to account however, they claim they don't have the resources to even identify let alone do anything about non-compliance!!

The fight is not over but, I fear I'm in a very small group of concerned community members in a town that largely does not GAF... I remain hopeful however, not just for my astro but, for our community health.
Old 19-09-2019, 09:46 AM
casstony

Warragul put 4000k LED streetlamps in and they're horrendous - even 3000k would be a significant improvement I imagine. At least I was able to get a shield put on our nearest street light.

We've put 2700k LED's in our house and the light is quite nice, similar to incandescent.
Old 20-09-2019, 01:34 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Nick
I have since found out that Ausgrid controls the street lighting in the Hornsby area and most likely in your area of Killara. They directed me to their website which I have to say is pretty comprehensive. They are going for the 4000k led instead of 3000k because they say it provides better lighting, lower power requirements, more sustainability etc. I doubt whether I could change their minds so I guess it is a matter of "don't worry - be happy"!
Peter
Old 20-09-2019, 03:14 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjphilli View Post
Hi Nick
I have since found out that Ausgrid controls the street lighting in the Hornsby area and most likely in your area of Killara. They directed me to their website which I have to say is pretty comprehensive. They are going for the 4000k led instead of 3000k because they say it provides better lighting, lower power requirements, more sustainability etc. I doubt whether I could change their minds so I guess it is a matter of "don't worry - be happy"!
Peter
Ausgrid controls the lighting but the council decides what standard of lighting will be put in, so talk to the council if you want changes made; of course they might ignore you too.
Old 20-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Wavytone

The street lighting doesn’t really bother me.

What does matter is the total skyglow overhead and short of a Sydney-wide blackout that’s not going to change.

What would be really neat would be to convince all councils to have an ““Earthnight” at the Saturday near new moon each month and switch all the damn lights off after 9pm, on the pretext of saving energy.
Old 20-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Wavytone

The street lighting doesn’t really bother me.

What does matter is the total skyglow overhead and short of a Sydney-wide blackout that’s not going to change.

What would be really neat would be to convince all councils to have an ““Earthnight” at the Saturday near new moon each month and switch all the damn lights off after 9pm, on the pretext of saving energy. Even better - every night.

Street lighting is very much overrated imho.
Old 23-09-2019, 10:19 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

You are right Nick that in our location in Sydney the predominant light pollution is from the city which results from overhead sky glow. I did notice that when I installed my neodymium lpf filter there was a noticeable before/after effect but the sky glow still was predominant. Just something we have to live with and it is amazing what good images we can get under these circumstances. I note that on occasion when I have to get up at 1 or 2 am in the morning how still and relatively clear the skies are but I am a bit too lazy to do imaging at these times! Appeal to the authorities? my cynicism precludes that!
Old 23-09-2019, 10:41 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Really p!$$#s me off around the airport - they leave ALL the office lighting on in all the new Defence buildings, office spaces etc - LOTS of it in Brindabella Park. And yet just 300 metres down the road on the BIG LED projection billboard is an environmental public awareness advert saying "Turn off to save the moths therefore the possums" or something like that.

Canberra Airport has NO issue taking the advertising money, yet lights up the entire business park of the airport like New York city. Just plain stupid. Shouldn't modern security measures eliminate the need to keep offices etc lit at night?

And of course all the recently replaced street/highway lighting around here is...4000K LED.
Old 23-09-2019, 11:05 AM
N1 (Mirko)

I agree with Nick and Lewis, street lighting isn't the main contributor to total LP. It's the private sector, and there will need to be some actual governance around lighting. One of the many steps towards that is councils leading by example. That is really the main purpose of getting them to minimise the negative impacts of street lighting. You are not going to get any sensible bylaws etc if your council does not apply the same to their own facilities.
Old 23-09-2019, 11:17 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

IDAS LPS-D2 is supposedly designed for LED light suppression. I have one (although still stuck in customs with all my other belongings).

Edit: after I posted this I realised I assumed that it was for about astrophotography.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (idas_d2_lps_transmission_graph.jpg)
106.5 KB16 views