Old 23-01-2009, 04:15 PM
andrew2008

Considering getting a CCD

Hi

Have been looking to get into imaging and have decided that CCD maybe the way to go over a DSLR. Reasons are initial setup costs if decide not to pursue it, and seems to maybe be easier to learn.

At the moment i have a 10" dob and EQ6 mount. Main interest really lies with DSO's. The cam i am looking at is Meade DSI II or a modded Toucam.

Does anyone have other suggestions or can recommend 1 of these?
Should i stick with the DSLR without autoguiding for a while?

Really tossing up between which way to go.
Old 24-01-2009, 03:01 AM
KenGee

Hi If you don't already have a DSLR I would start there, then move to a single shot CCD, and then a mono CCD with filters.
DSLR will be of use to you if you find imaging is not for you.
Old 24-01-2009, 08:44 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

If you're going to go after DSO's, I would seriously consider about getting myself an autoguider and a good guidescope. Reason being that except for the very brightest of objects, like M42, etc...you're going to need one as your exposure times will run over a minute, if you want decent pics. Unless you like to take heaps of short subs and stack them. Guiding will allow you to follow the targets and also help eliminate things like trailing and such. Most of the DSO's are too dim to warrant unguided pic taking.

In so far as DSLR vs CCD, I think Kenny hit the nail on the head there when saying the DSLR will be of more use to you, if you find imaging isn't your style. However, should you decide to go the CCD route, a DSI II is a good start. You could also consider an Imaging Source DBK21 or DBK31 SSC (single shot colour) camera as well. Little dearer but a better camera.

Although, for starters, the DSI II is as good as any.
Old 29-01-2009, 08:29 AM
andrew2008

If using a DSLR without a guidescope how long could i expect my exposures to be before running into problems? Stacking heaps of exposures wouldn't be an issue and i need something to do when its cloudy. There is a number of excellent images on the forum taken with relatively short exposures on dslrs which have inspired and given me confidence to try my own.

I have an EQ6 pro and would just be tracking with this mount. Maybe start out doing widefield with just cam piggybacked on 10" dob and using an ED80. Will add autoguiding as i manage to save for different things. Unfortunately promised the other half would spend some money on "bling" for her after buying the mount so trying to get into it cheaply. Think she has realised how expensive this hobby could be and isn't too impressed but she knows i love it so can be talked around to most purchases (for now) :-)

Any tips? Whats an st80 like to start imaging with then to use it as a guidescope when i can get a nicer ED?
Old 29-01-2009, 09:18 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Andrew,
using a DSLR for DSO with a 10 inch you're probably going to want to take subs of usually anywhere from 5 min to 12 ish minutes. Of course you can get subs at about 1 minutes without much trailing if your polar alignment is good but even stacking heaps of these will only reveal so much because the longer the exposure the more faint stuff you capture.

Renormalised is right in that you will really benefit from a guide scope (and a guide camera)

The CCD option will allow you to avoid the guidescope if it has internal guiding as the SBIG cameras have.

hope this helps
frank
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2008 View Post
If using a DSLR without a guidescope how long could i expect my exposures to be before running into problems? Stacking heaps of exposures wouldn't be an issue and i need something to do when its cloudy. There is a number of excellent images on the forum taken with relatively short exposures on dslrs which have inspired and given me confidence to try my own.

I have an EQ6 pro and would just be tracking with this mount. Maybe start out doing widefield with just cam piggybacked on 10" dob and using an ED80. Will add autoguiding as i manage to save for different things. Unfortunately promised the other half would spend some money on "bling" for her after buying the mount so trying to get into it cheaply. Think she has realised how expensive this hobby could be and isn't too impressed but she knows i love it so can be talked around to most purchases (for now) :-)

Any tips? Whats an st80 like to start imaging with then to use it as a guidescope when i can get a nicer ED?
Hi,
When I started out, I found the best results were with taking pics with my DSLR and 105mm lens. Astrophotography has a steep learning curve to get the results that you see published.

Shooting through the 10" AND the DSI, will require fairly accurate tracking!

My vote is, get the DSLR and start by shooting through the camera lens on the EQ6.

Julian
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
andrew2008

Thanks for the help guys

Well i am actually planning to go out tomorrow or order online a Canon 1000d. Just have to see where i can get a better deal. Seems better bang for buck at about $500 cheaper than the 450d.

Will use it as you suggested Jules just through the lens to start with taking short exposure widefields of stars just for some fun. Don't really want to mod the 10" so using a scope to image through will have to wait until i can get an ED80. Who knows, this may be just around the corner if i'm elligible for the $950 come April:-)
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
damo_Melbourne (Damian)

hey there
yeah I had the same dilemma but I picked up my 450D from Teds last week... they couldnt match $1019 listed below but got to $1050! for body and IS lense - I was happy!
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...egory521_1.htm
I would stretch to the 450D if possible - only $200 diff to the 1000D
oh and Andrews has the ED80 still for $699 - thats OTA, dovetail, case and EPs - my VISA hurts at the moment!

cheers
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
andrew2008

Too late. Went with the 1000d twin lens kit. Got it for $840 from a store. Cheapest online price is about $845 so i'm pretty happy with it and am sure it will be more than enough camera to try handle for a while to get under way.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Hey Andrew, congrats on the purchase.

Check out youtube for some tutorials on the 1000d, (especially live view and the remote shooting software) I did and I learnt a LOT.

Been paying with mine at 800mm fl on eq6 and anything over a minute you are losing round stars, so autoguiding is essential. Since I have been guided the results I have been getting are very pleasing.

If only my laptop stopped hating phd.....

Brett
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
If only my laptop stopped hating phd.....
Vista??