Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

Coloured Stars With Dsi Cameras

Hi
I originally posted this in the Equipment forum but it was pointed out that this would be the most appropriate place.
I image using DSI I or II cameras on a Meade 80mm f6 APO refractor.
I have done star tests using a high power eyepiece on the above scope and it shows no sign of bad collimation or chromatic abberration. However, both single and stacked images always show coloured background stars as per attached sample which is a composite of 30x1minute guided images of the Omega nebula in Sagittarius stacked, aligned both translate and rotate, combined, stretched in ImagesPlus. Any ideas what's wrong?
Cheers Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (omega30x1min.jpg)
45.6 KB38 views
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Babalyon 5

Mmmmmm..........If you do a single exposure, what do you get? I would try the suggestions given on Autostarsuite, as well as longer exposures to gather more data in your image and do less stretching of your final image.
I find that stretching an image a lot does this, hence the need for good data in the first place.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Babalyon
Thanks - I will try taking longer images. Also I will try with the saturation level in Envisage reduced. Cheers Peter