Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 22-10-2011, 12:52 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Canon G12 RAW will not open in CS5-advice needed.

Hello.

I have only just started using the Canon G12 which I received a couple months.

Here a couple of images from a couple of nights ago,I can fit the G12 in the same small bag as my 50D and 400L.

I want to start using this G12 for hunting episodes-the movie function could be useful.The manual setting appeals to me for this type of photography.Now I switched into JPEG/RAW at the same time,and thought I'd play around with these test images of this hunter-I rarely take anyone with me so I thought I'd take these images as the sun set.

However,when I go to open up RAW in CS5 I get a message pop up

"file appears to be from a camera which is not supported by the installed version of camera raw".

So wondering if anyone knows what I might need to do,to open RAW.Not sure how the G12 is going to go,but apparently its a lot more of a camera than the usual Point and Shoot cameras.So I hope to use it for some sort of wildlife and 'in the field' shots.There is a lot to be said for small compact cameras.Leon took some amazing images of a large python eating a wallaby a while ago,with a PS style camera,and it now appears they are set for a world audience.To take a large D/SLR on a late afternoon walk is a bit un-enjoyable,but a small compact camera is less of an ask.

So any advice on using a G12 or similar and its RAW files would be appreciated.As it seems a neat camera.

These two images taken at 1/30 sec F 3.2 image 1 iso 800,image 2 iso 400 at 6.11 pm.No pp just the JPEG out of camera.Flash was fired.Please let me know which you prefer out of these two,ideas and crittique welcomed)

Thanks Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2858.jpg)
194.3 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2859.jpg)
190.2 KB21 views

Last edited by hotspur; 22-10-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: asked a question
Old 22-10-2011, 01:49 PM
leon

Cant help with the Cs5 bit but number two is my favorite, nice going, is that you in the foreground.???

Leon
Old 22-10-2011, 02:39 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Cant help with the Cs5 bit but number two is my favorite, nice going, is that you in the foreground.???

Leon

No Leon,its another hunter the grazier has let hunt on the property-which I'm not entirely thrilled about.He missed a dog on this hunt,and thus 'educated' the dog.Which makes my job all that much harder.If I had have been own as I had planned,I'd have bagged the scalp,but not got a photo.The grazier told him what I had planned that afternoon,and he turned upI got nothing much from that episode ,except a headache.

So had to make do,with these test shots of something I wanted to try on these episodes,as rarely have someone with me on hunting trips.I might have to take him again-its a little difficult operating a camera in film mode on a tripod,a 400L,and a .222 all at the same time.

Thanks for your thoughts on which one you liked.

If anyone can help with the opening of the RAW file out of the G12,in CS5 It would be be most appreciated.
Old 22-10-2011, 03:54 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Probably need to update Adobe Camera RAW file.

This is because CS5 was probably released before the camera was made and thus CS5 needs updates (camera RAW6 and above) to read the RAW format.

Anyway updating will fix the issue (hopefully). The above has a link has another link for DNG6.5.
Old 22-10-2011, 04:09 PM
naskies (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Chris, have you installed all the Adobe updates that have been coming out? There have been several updates to Adobe Camera RAW since I first installed Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5.

On the Mac, there's an Adobe Updater program that automatically notifies me of updates. I assume there's an equivalent on Windows?
Old 22-10-2011, 04:15 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post

This is because CS5 was probably released before the camera was made and thus CS5 needs updates (camera RAW6 and above) to read the RAW format.

Anyway updating will fix the issue (hopefully). The above has a link has another link for DNG6.5.
Ok,Brendan

This looks like the area that will solve the issue-thanks for the handy links.

Is anyone here using a G12 or similar with RAW?and how do the feel about the images they are getting.I'm told these G12 type cameras are one say a pro wedding photographer might have as a third camera on a shoot to go with their 2 D/SLR's.

As I say I really have not used this camera much.

Thanks Chris
Old 22-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Digital Photo Professional is all you need.

H
Old 22-10-2011, 04:42 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Digital Photo Professional is all you need.

H
D'oh-even better-Its on computer-I'll start using it more,I've been playing around a bit in CS5.I have not done much in DPP,for a little while-will have to start getting back into the habit of using DPP again.

Will I have to update the DPP-or will its just recognize the files from G12?
Old 22-10-2011, 05:39 PM
leon

Bugger forgot about Digital Photo Professional, shows how much i use it as well, it should just recognize them i. think.!!!

leon
Old 22-10-2011, 08:44 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re G12 raw

I'll put the disk in that came with the camera,Leon.It will have the up to date version of DPP.The current version of my DPP will not open the RAW from G12.

One negative I have about this G12,is there was not instruction book,I think its all on a disk,that I'll have to print out.It would be good to have the nice little book all my other canon cameras came with.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:40 PM
leon

Yes Chris those books are a God send sometimes and very explanatory

Leon