Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 15-10-2019, 12:59 PM
leee (Thomas)

Fake or almost) Science news

Fake "Science" news. Whenever I open my Android phone, I am (by choice ) given a bunch of "Science" news, breaking developments, and junk. Like an Asteroid is going to hit earth - soon, and Black Holes are sucking up Earth, etc. Always the extreme always the outlandish.
.Designed to catch the eye, get your attention, but how about being creditable, or even honest. ?
Old 15-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Wavytone

It’s clickbait. Ignore or get rid of it.

Life’s too short to waste it reading junk. If you want to read science stuff choose your sources more critically.
Old 15-10-2019, 05:44 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Was sent an alarming email the other day, with the titular warning of "iPhone 11 has a fatal flaw". After my iOS13 drama story, i was all ears.

Yada yada yada all dribble, with his conclusion: the iPhone is fragile, and needs a case, and adding a case hides it's beauty.

FARK! All that reading to be told by some paid-by-Samsung snowflake (and the new Galaxies need a case as they are even MORE fragile) it needs a case, just like EVERY OTHER DAMNED PHONE.

Snore.
Old 15-10-2019, 09:30 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by leee View Post
Fake "Science" news. Whenever I open my Android phone, I am (by choice ) given a bunch of "Science" news, breaking developments, and junk. Like an Asteroid is going to hit earth - soon, and Black Holes are sucking up Earth, etc. Always the extreme always the outlandish.
.Designed to catch the eye, get your attention, but how about being creditable, or even honest. ?

I think human beings forget they have a use by date and the reality is most of us will fall off the perch within 90 yrs so and a chunk of that you'll probably be a little dusty, You don't have time to worry about stuff that will probably never happen never mind the concept of earth being sucked into a black hole in 2.5 billion years give a year or so
Don't waste your time reading and worrying about mumbo jumbo
Old 16-10-2019, 08:40 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Thomas
I know how you feel.
The practise of sensationalising news is not limited to science journalists.
The one I hate with science journalism goes along the lines..."General Relativity proved right again"...mmm 100 years and it is still around makes one wonder what is so news worthy. Why not "Maxwell's equations still work" or " Evolution continues to explain stuff".

But it's not the fault of GR and it's experts (one would hope) but the fault of a journalist using worn out ways of promoting his article...and maybe it's not him but the editor of the organisation that publishes the article...which is most likely given the number of articles on GR announcing it is right again for the third time this year.
Alex
Old 17-10-2019, 01:55 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Its the fault of everybody who interacts with the system. I killed off all my social media accounts and dont regret it. i dont need idiots reaching out to me 24/7 nor do i have to be the center of the universe. i use news sources i trust not just ones that reinforce my uneducated view of reality. screw those who buy into that system which removes all pretext of personal privacy. its BIG money all that data that You never get a cut of plus you are forced to buy better products to provide them with more accurate data faster. I only ever got a mobile device so i could keep in touch when I was paralysed in hospital, generally only use it as a tool these days.
Old 19-10-2019, 08:29 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have to admit to using Facebook less and less recently, but not because of fake news of various varieties being pumped at me. I have not stopped using it as such (FB is one of the few social media sites I use) but I tend to get irritated and get off much more quickly than I might have when you realise every fourth (Or even more often) item in the feed is "Sponsored content" i.e. an ad.

I am one of "them" that generally goes to the ABC for news, but even the ABC website is annoying me recently as someone has made the editorial decisions to start using clickbait headlines, and to start putting multiple links to articles up at once with different headlines, sometimes both together, with a reasonably accurate link and a clickbait link to the same article on the same page at the same time. Other times the second link replaces the first after a while so they are not both live together.

If even Auntie is going clickbait I reckon it marks the beginning of the end for proper news reporting.
Old 22-10-2019, 03:03 PM
leee (Thomas)

Great xelasnave-- Now I had to look up " Maxwell's equations" Worse, Try to understand them. (I love this Forum)
Old 22-10-2019, 03:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Great xelasnave-- Now I had to look up " Maxwell's equations" Worse, Try to understand them. (I love this Forum)
Your are welcome.
All you have to know is that there is something written about it...so you know what to look up if the subject comes up. Think of all those law books..few know them all but I had the privilege of working for a man who when I asked for help could say...go to such and such a book look on page xxx in paragraph yy and you will find that covers your problem...and 90 years old. He was a professor who when he retired thought studying law would be great to pass the time..qualified and spent up until a week before he passed in the office...I have never met a more impressive person...

I don't know if you have come across Karl Popper...but if not please take the time to read what he says..philosophy of science...for me it brought it all together. Wiki version will do it.
Have a nice day.
Alex

I must tell you a story...I was in the office with the great man sitting in as he explained a lease to a tenant attending with her 15 year old son. Clearly she was concerned about the sons future and after the great man had explained the lease...she asked
" but Mr H what will happen if I die?"
He looked at her over the top of his glasses and said most carmly and in all seriousness..
." Why they will bury you of course"
.(..and folk wonder how I can keep a straight face..many stories very similar where I would bite my pencil to stop bursting out laughing...)

She just said OH..he said "that will be $2-00 for my certificate.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 22-10-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:33 PM
leee (Thomas)

So, I wiki'ed, Karl Popper. And I would propose a Forth World. My world. Which might best be described as CHAOS.
I am introduced to Facts, Figures, Assumption, Hypothesis all beyond much of my comprehension. My lack of sound, higher mathematics, of not exposing myself (until later in life) other areas of Science, thought, and exploration , have left me in wonderment - of how many Worlds are out there. Worlds I have missed. And standing in Awe - at all of the insights, genius , and opening of these Worlds, and thoughts - I have missed
Old 23-10-2019, 03:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
So, I wiki'ed, Karl Popper. And I would propose a Forth World. My world. Which might best be described as CHAOS.
I am introduced to Facts, Figures, Assumption, Hypothesis all beyond much of my comprehension. My lack of sound, higher mathematics, of not exposing myself (until later in life) other areas of Science, thought, and exploration , have left me in wonderment - of how many Worlds are out there. Worlds I have missed. And standing in Awe - at all of the insights, genius , and opening of these Worlds, and thoughts - I have missed
Hi Thomas
I hope you are having a great day.

Now don't dispair.

Your realisation that you don't know much is a priveldge most humans never get to achieve..Knowledge can only ever tell you that irrespective of all you have learned over many years is a mere drop in the bucket as to all that there is to know.

Just stay calm and realise most folk fall victim to thinking they know everything which clearly categorised them as fools...try to learn one little thing each day..try to find some unusual human pursuit...realise that outside your world there are folk who say are into cross bows, their friends are into cross bows, mum has her cross bows dad has his the kids have theirs their vocabulary on cross bows seemingly limitless..they know about cross bows..it's a big subject..the first ones, their influence in warefare, ..did you know many cross bows fired a stone and they were used for hunting... each holiday they go to a cross bow camp and play cross bows with all their friends who go each year..cross bows their world is cross bows..and so it goes for so many things...paper planes, model trains, and worms..there are people who travel to South America on holiday to find giant worms...it goes on and on...go to a maths site and look at the 40 page index with 30 entries a line and know that dozens of people devoted their lives to contribute to just one of those lines..and their lives were only about that branch of maths...look at the battles thru history all over Europe, Asia Africa the only mob with no wars were Eskimos as far as I know...and they were the only culture not to have a drug ..but when exposed became tea fanciers..they would drunk literally gallons of it to achieve intixication..all the battles, every 20 years in most places where in many battles 20 , 30 or 50 thousand were killed or where in China 300000 soldiers upon capture were beheaded...or the death of regime s like Starlin etc...human deaths now that will keep you busy.
A friend once said to me sit and think about everything there is today, all the different people their cultures etc everything that was in the past and everything that could be in the future and as it could be on all the world's that could be and indeed the world's that could not be...well I did...over a week I did nothing more...I realised that I could do it for a century and I would still not have considered much at all in relation to all that is, was, could be and could not be.

Wiki is good..as long as you click on the blue bits...you start your enquiry about the propor size for a Viking shield and keep clicking on blue until you have to eat or sleep ..needless to say you will learn more than there is a perfect size for a Viking shield...there is a perfect size actually...just as there is a perfect size for a gladius ( the Roman short sword) it is built not to get stuck and when you slash the cutting spot is the same as the sweet spot on your tennis racket.

Study just one single cell and all that makes it up is a lifetime plus some.

Good luck and remember the more you learn the more you realise you know very little..that is a good thing.
Good luck.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 23-10-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 23-10-2019, 03:30 PM
leee (Thomas)

re-

xelasnave - I noticed you 'interest' in Motorcycles. Mine as well.
I don't do a lot of poetry, but thought you might appreciate
this one. (My 1200C BNW)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1200 w light 2 w fog_with  Leee  j.jpg)
165.4 KB21 views
Old 23-10-2019, 04:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
xelasnave - I noticed you 'interest' in Motorcycles. Mine as well.
I don't do a lot of poetry, but thought you might appreciate
this one. (My 1200C BNW)
Wonderful and I thank you for taking the time to post.

I used to race moto cross and still follow it a little on YouTube. Was going to rebuild a "first" virargo but gave up because it became clear to go original as you can only do for a restoration was going to be more than I could afford for that project.
A most underestimated bike.
It was picked up by my Son , I went with my trailer and thought so little of it that I did not even look at it when we put it on the trailer..years later he gave it to me..I used it to ride in the bush..you would not believe how that thing performed..I fell in love with it..I could ride down the dirt road with road tyres at 100 K and if felt like it was on rails.
You could slide it like a speedway bike. But those days are passed for me.
Alex