Old 19-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Lumicon night sky H alpha filter

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience with using this type of filter with an astro-modded DSLR?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...AUD&sku=457113

I'm looking at options to add some Ha punch to my wide-field shots and as I use a Pentax camera the "clip-in" filter isn't an option.
I have seen images (on Astrobin and elsewhere) where Ha has supposedly been blended with colour from a modded DSLR to give quite impressive results. The Lumicon allows everything above 650Nm through and as my camera has an IR cut filter (not full spectrum) perhaps it might work OK?
Old 19-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The Lumicon Ha filter was very popular back in the film days....it worked very well. I'd assume a similar performance with current DSLR's.
We used to call it a poor man's Ha filter - certainly not a narrowband filter but still very useful.
Old 20-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Thanks for that info Ken.

If I could pick one up for a reasonable price it might be worth giving it a go then. I still wonder about the merits of using a Ha filter on a DSLR given that you are only making use of one in four pixels but some people seem to be able to produce worthwhile results.
Old 20-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I have one of those Lumicon Ha filters that I sometimes use on my modded 450D for widefield and short telephoto lens imaging. Certainly brings out the Ha regions nicely and should work with a non modded camera but you are losing some light from the rest of the visible spectrum,obviously.
Old 23-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Thanks Jeff.

In case it wasn't clear from my post above my camera is modded. I might see if I can pick one up for a reasonable price.