#1  
Old 18-01-2017, 12:44 PM
ngcles's Avatar
ngcles
The Observologist

ngcles is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Billimari, NSW Central West
Posts: 1,569
Galaxies in Cetus 16th January 2017

Hi All,

Long time since I contributed, but here are some observations I made at home with my 46cm f/4.9 dob on 16th January 2017. I live at a proper dark site near Billimari, NSW and on moonless nights in summer the SQM-L reading is typically around the 22.0 mags/sq arc sec. On this particular evening between 9.30 and 10.45pm it was 22.16 and 24 deg C. The waning gibbous moon was rising just after 11 so the sky darkness when I concluded had tailed-off to the 21.85 mark. Unless otherwise noted all are at x185 with a 12mm TII Nagler.

NGC 977 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 33m 03.5s Dec: -10 45' 36"
Mag: 13.5 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.9'x1.5' Class: (R')SAB(r)a:
P.A.: 39 Inclination: --- R.V.: +4546 Source: RC3 *

This eg is found to the SSE by 10' from a white mag 8*. Quite small, round, 50" diameter, fairly LSB with diffuse edges growing broadly and slightly to centre where there is an occasional faint stellaring.

NGC 985 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 34m 37.4s Dec: -08 47' 08"
Mag: 14.0 (B) S.B.: 12.7 B-V: +0.63 Size: 1.0'x0.7'
Class: Ring pec P.A.: 80 Inclination: --- R.V.: +12929 Source: RC3 *

This eg on the DSS plate looks decidedly odd -- a little like a one-armed barred spiral with a spot nucleus. Found 7' to the SE of a small RA tri of mag 11 & 2x mag 12 *s. Visually, it looks like a 14th mag * which is surrounded on the N side by some weak LSB haze out to 10-15". Somewhat asymmetric.

NGC 988 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 35m 28.0s Dec: -09 21' 25"
Mag: 10.9 (V) S.B.: 10.4 B-V: +0.41 Size: 5.3'x1.8' Class: SB(s)cd:
P.A.: 112 Inclination: --- R.V.: +1455 Source: RC3 *

This eg is difficult to see due to a 7th mag * (79 Ceti) being superimposed a little NW of the geometric centre. Appears like a an eccentric halo to that star in about PA 150, out to about 1.5' x 20" of very LSB with no apparent central brightening or structure.

NGC 1015 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 38m 11.5s Dec: -01 19' 07"
Mag: 13.0 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.0'x1.5' Class: SB(r)a:
P.A.: 16 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +2631 Source: RC3 *

This eg appears to the NNW from a 8th mag * by 7-8', very small but fair SB, probably 50" diameter and round rising slightly to centre where there is a somewhat brighter sub-stellar nucleus or stellaring at centre.

NGC 1032 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 39m 23.7s Dec: +01 05' 37"
Mag: 12.6 (B) S.B.: --- B-V: +1.00 Size: 3.3'x1.1' Class: S0/a sp
P.A.: 68 Inclination: 7 R.V.: +2651 Source: RC3 *

This eg makes the 4th corner of a small rectangle with three mag 13 *s, with the eg at the SW point. Pretty easy to see, fair SB, particularly the central areas, elong in PA 60, 2.5 x 30", spindle-shaped halo with very LSB tips/extensions and a slight, broadly concentrated core area that is oval shaped and occasionally appears to have a very faint stellaring at centre.

NGC 1042 RA: 02h 40m 24.0s
Dec: -08 26' 02" Mag: 11.6 (B)
S.B.: --- B-V: +0.54 Size: 5.3'x3.6' Class: SAB(rs)cd
P.A.: 3 Inclination: --- R.V.: +1407 Source: RC3 *

NGC 1048 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 40m 38.0s Dec: -08 32' 01"
Mag: 14.5 (V) S.B.: --- B-V: +0.97 Size: 1.0'x0.2' Class: S0+? sp
P.A.: 101 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

NGC 1048A (PGC 10137) Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 40m 35.6s Dec: -08 32' 49"
Mag: 14.5 (V) S.B.: --- B-V: +0.97 Size: 0.7'x0.3' Class: SBb pec sp
P.A.: 176 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

-42 is a fairly large, roughly round, mod bright galaxy with low S.B. Looks quite diffuse, about 4' diameter. Has 14th mag *s superimposed -- one due N of centre just outside the edge of the halo and a second just inside the edge of the halo in about PA 150. Brightens weakly to centre without zones, core or nucleus apparent. With averted vision and concentration, it seems the halo is weakly mottled or undulates weakly in brightness here and there.

-48 and -48A are about 7' SSE of -42 as a pair of very small to tiny spots of very LSB mist with the Northern most one (-48) a little brighter than the other. They are N-S of each other, about 15" diameter and almost in contact -- about 30" apart. Not hard to see but faint and tiny.

NGC 1035 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 39m 29.0s Dec: -08 07' 57"
Mag: 12.9 (B) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.6'x0.9' Class: SA(s)c?
P.A.: 154 Inclination: --- R.V.: +1250 Source: RC3 *

This is a LSB spindle-shaped quite elong eg found almost at the mid-point of mag 10 & 8*s 12' apart and aligned almost N-S with the brighter at the S end. 2.75' x 30" in PA 150 and has a mag 13.5* just inside the SE tip doing a supernova impression. Exhibits along the axis, weak brightening to centre and across the axis near centre, a broad, slight brightening but no apparent core or nucleus. Pretty.

NGC 1044 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 41m 06.1s Dec: +08 44' 16"
Mag: 14.4 (B) S.B.: --- B-V: +1.20 Size: 0.5' Class: S0-: pec
P.A.: --- Inclination: --- R.V.: +6420 Source: RC3 *

NGC 1046 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 41m 12.8s Dec: +08 43' 09"
Mag: 14.8 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 0.5'x0.5' Class: S0-:
P.A.: --- Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

This pair are 13' N of a 7th mag * that is very distracting and needs to be excluded form the field. The two are just 1.5' apart with -46 1.5' away in PA 135 from -44. Both are faint, small objects, maybe only 30" across with -44 slightly the brighter and is probably weakly elong in PA 135. Both brighten broadly and slightly to centre but I see no other apparent structure. There is a 15th mag * that is intermittently visible, 1' SE of -46.

NGC 1045 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 40m 29.2s Dec: -11 16' 38"
Mag: 12.9 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.3'x1.2'
Class: SA0- pec? P.A.: 63 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

Appears due S by 6' from an 11th mag * and is easy to see, small, round, 50"-1' diameter, brightens mod and evenly to centre where you can occasionally see a stellaring or sub-stellar nucleus. Overall possesses pretty good S.B considering its size. The longer you look, that stellaring in the centre can be held continuously with A.V and looks faint *ar.

NGC 1076 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 43m 29.1s Dec: -14 45' 17"
Mag: 13.1 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.9'x1.0' Class: SB0/a pec?
P.A.: 99 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

No worse than mod faint, spindle shaped eg in about PA 90 pointing to the E where there is an 11th mag * 6' distant. Seems to 1.5 x 20" in PA 90, grows weakly along the axis to centre where there is a largish, oval slightly brighter core zone that grows further to the centre but without apparent nucleus. Pretty good SB overall.

NGC 1073 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 43m 40.5s Dec: +01 22' 34"
Mag: 11.5 (B) S.B.: 14.4 B-V: +0.50 Size: 4.9'x4.4' Class: SB(rs)c
P.A.: 15 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +1209 Source: RC3 *

This eg appears to the NE of a nearly Eq Tri of mags 10 & 11 *s about 6' a side. Faint and quite LSB diffuse looking eg, 3.5 - 4' diameter, round with a very LSB misty halo that exhibits a very small, elong core/nucleus in PA 60 maybe 20" x 10" only weakly brighter than the halo. With concentration it occasionally seems the halo is very weakly blotchy or mottled but difficult to say exactly where the undulations are.

NGC 1137 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 54m 02.7s Dec: +02 57' 43"
Mag: 13.2 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.1'x1.2' Class: (R')SA(rs)b
P.A.: 20 Inclination: 4 R.V.: +3004 Source: RC3 *

This is a small mod faint eg which is slightly elong in PA 30, maybe 1' x 40" lowish SB, oval outline with a tiny, somewhat elong weakly brighter core zone at centre. Not hard to see though.

NGC 1143 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 55m 09.8s Dec: -00 10' 41"
Mag: 14.1 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 0.9'x0.7' Class: Ring A
P.A.: 110 Inclination: --- R.V.: +8459 Source: RC3 *

NGC 1144 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 55m 11.9s Dec: -00 10' 58"
Mag: 13.8 (B) S.B.: 13.0 B-V: +0.83 Size: 1.0'x0.6' Class: Ring B
P.A.: 130 Inclination: ---R.V.: +8647 Source: RC3 *

These two small eg are found SE by 11' from a buttery-coloured 7th mag * (SAO 130181) that is highly distracting and should be excluded from the field to permit best observation. The two share a common, peanut-shaped envelope in PA 135, 1.5' x 40" containing two nuclear condensations at the NW and SE ends. The two condensations are separated by about 1' and roughly equal in brightness, -44 (at the SE end) is possibly slightly the brighter.

NGC 1211 Galaxy *
RA: 03h 06m 52.5s Dec: -00 47' 41"
Mag: 13.3 (B) S.B.: 12.9 B-V: +0.92 Size: 2.1'x1.8' Class: (R)SB(r)0/a
P.A.: 30 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +3199 Source: RC3 *

This eg is a very small fat oval shape in about PA 120, about 40" x 20" growing broadly and moderately to centre and the central areas have pretty good SB but there is no apparent defined core/nucleus. Overall has fair SB and not too hard to see.

NGC 1218 Galaxy *
RA: 03h 08m 26.2s Dec: +04 06' 41"
Mag: 13.8 (B) S.B.: 13.2 B-V: +1.15 Size: 1.2'x0.9'Class: S0/a
P.A.: 155 Inclination: 2 R.V.: +8644 Source: RC3 *

A pretty plain-jane small lowish SB eg in a faint field. Possible elong in PA 150, 40 x 30" mod low SB and at centre is a very faint stellaring.

NGC 1219 Galaxy *
RA: 03h 08m 28.2s Dec: +02 06' 30"
Mag: 13.8 (B) S.B.: 13.4 B-V: +0.82 Size: 1.2'x1.1' Class: SA(s)bc:
P.A.: 56 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +6101 Source: RC3 *

Again in a quite thin field, this is a small mod faint eg that looks very soft or diffuse 1' diameter, round gossamer halo brightening at best weakly to centre but has no apparent core or nucleus.

Best,

L.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Tinderboxsky's Avatar
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Tinderboxsky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tinderbox TAS
Posts: 662
Thanks for your report Les. An interesting read. Your targets are well beyond my equipment, but I enjoy these reports all the same.

Steve.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-01-2017, 04:45 PM
SteveG (Steve)
Registered User

SteveG is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Posts: 39
Thanks for posting your session, Les. Always interesting to compare our notes. I've even had an opportunity to observe a few of these galaxies through my friend's 48-inch (122cm) f/4.0 in west Texas.

The showpiece was NGC 1073. The designations and separations in brackets were looked up afterwards, but here's what I logged

The central bar is very bright and well-defined, extending ~1.0'x0.3' SW-NE. An easily visible spiral arm is attached at the northeast end of the bar and extends at a right angle to the northwest, passing through a mag 16 star [50" N of center]. The arm then dims but sweeps clockwise around the west side, and merges with the second arm attached at the southwest end of the bar. As a result, the galaxy appears to have a single continuous arm rotating ~270 and ending on the southeast side, ~1.2' from center! The outer part of the halo has a low surface brightness but extends at least 4' in diameter. Another mag 16 star is on the southwest side of the halo [1.4' from center].

At least three HII complexes were visible. The brightest is NGC 1073:[HK 83] 6/9, an elongated patch ~13"x8" E-W, situated at or just beyond the southeast end of the spiral arm [1.4' from center]. A small, fainter knot close west, [HK83] 19, was difficult to resolve. [HK83] 69, a faint 10" knot, is on the west side of the halo (beyond the arm) [1.4' due west of center]. Finally, [HK83] 49 is a third 10" knot of low contrast in the northwest outer halo [1.9' NNW of center]. These designations are from Hodge and Kennicutt's 1983 "An Atlas of HII Regions in 125 Galaxies".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Benjamin (Ben)
Registered User

Benjamin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Moorooka, Brisbane
Posts: 523
Enjoyed reading the detailed report. I hope one day to have the time, patience and skies to observe a few of these. Newbie question but I take it LSB is low surface brightness and SB is surface brightness?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-01-2017, 11:55 PM
ngcles's Avatar
ngcles
The Observologist

ngcles is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Billimari, NSW Central West
Posts: 1,569
Hi Ben,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Enjoyed reading the detailed report. I hope one day to have the time, patience and skies to observe a few of these. Newbie question but I take it LSB is low surface brightness and SB is surface brightness?
Yes, exactly.

Best,

L.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-01-2017, 12:07 AM
ngcles's Avatar
ngcles
The Observologist

ngcles is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Billimari, NSW Central West
Posts: 1,569
Hi Steve,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Thanks for posting your session, Les. Always interesting to compare our notes. I've even had an opportunity to observe a few of these galaxies through my friend's 48-inch (122cm) f/4.0 in west Texas.

The showpiece was NGC 1073. The designations and separations in brackets were looked up afterwards, but here's what I logged

The central bar is very bright and well-defined, extending ~1.0'x0.3' SW-NE. An easily visible spiral arm is attached at the northeast end of the bar and extends at a right angle to the northwest, passing through a mag 16 star [50" N of center]. The arm then dims but sweeps clockwise around the west side, and merges with the second arm attached at the southwest end of the bar. As a result, the galaxy appears to have a single continuous arm rotating ~270 and ending on the southeast side, ~1.2' from center! The outer part of the halo has a low surface brightness but extends at least 4' in diameter. Another mag 16 star is on the southwest side of the halo [1.4' from center].

At least three HII complexes were visible. The brightest is NGC 1073:[HK 83] 6/9, an elongated patch ~13"x8" E-W, situated at or just beyond the southeast end of the spiral arm [1.4' from center]. A small, fainter knot close west, [HK83] 19, was difficult to resolve. [HK83] 69, a faint 10" knot, is on the west side of the halo (beyond the arm) [1.4' due west of center]. Finally, [HK83] 49 is a third 10" knot of low contrast in the northwest outer halo [1.9' NNW of center]. These designations are from Hodge and Kennicutt's 1983 "An Atlas of HII Regions in 125 Galaxies".
Yes, I value your notes too and it is nice to hear how an object looks in a monster 'scope. I think your notes explain why I gained the impression that the halo of this eg seemed to be vaguely mottled or undulating in brightness. Considering that it is overall quite bright, it is a little odd that I'd never observed it before, but I was working from a list I'd printed ten-odd years ago.

Do you have any notes on NGC 1048 using a similar aperture?

BTW, I am coming over to observe the eclipse in August and several days afterwards, we are coming to San Francisco. Any chance you could spare a night to show Gary Mitchell & I a few northern sky highlights? It would either be the 24th or 25th August.

Best,

L.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-01-2017, 01:47 PM
SteveG (Steve)
Registered User

SteveG is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Posts: 39
I've observed NGC 1048 in the 48-inch a couple of months ago, though didn't note any interesting structure. I picked up a third galaxy (LEDA 1002216) though, very close to NGC 1048A.

48" (10/26/16): at 488x; fairly bright, fairly small, elongated 5:2 WNW-ESE, ~40"x16", bright core. A mag 14.4 star is 1' NNE. Located 7' SW of NGC 1042.

Forms a similar pair with NGC 1048A 1.0' SW. It was elongated 2:1 N-S, 30"x15", bright core, mottled appearance. LEDA 1002216, a compact companion, is just 30" S. It appeared faint (V = 16.8), very small, round, 10" diameter, low surface brightness.

I'll contact you offline about your eclipse visit. Should be a great trip.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-01-2017, 09:46 PM
bigjoe's Avatar
bigjoe (Joe)
Registered User

bigjoe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi All,

Long time since I contributed, but here are some observations I made at home with my 46cm f/4.9 dob on 16th January 2017. I live at a proper dark site near Billimari, NSW and on moonless nights in summer the SQM-L reading is typically around the 22.0 mags/sq arc sec. On this particular evening between 9.30 and 10.45pm it was 22.16 and 24 deg C. The waning gibbous moon was rising just after 11 so the sky darkness when I concluded had tailed-off to the 21.85 mark. Unless otherwise noted all are at x185 with a 12mm TII Nagler.

NGC 977 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 33m 03.5s Dec: -10 45' 36"
Mag: 13.5 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.9'x1.5' Class: (R')SAB(r)a:
P.A.: 39 Inclination: --- R.V.: +4546 Source: RC3 *

This eg is found to the SSE by 10' from a white mag 8*. Quite small, round, 50" diameter, fairly LSB with diffuse edges growing broadly and slightly to centre where there is an occasional faint stellaring.

NGC 985 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 34m 37.4s Dec: -08 47' 08"
Mag: 14.0 (B) S.B.: 12.7 B-V: +0.63 Size: 1.0'x0.7'
Class: Ring pec P.A.: 80 Inclination: --- R.V.: +12929 Source: RC3 *

This eg on the DSS plate looks decidedly odd -- a little like a one-armed barred spiral with a spot nucleus. Found 7' to the SE of a small RA tri of mag 11 & 2x mag 12 *s. Visually, it looks like a 14th mag * which is surrounded on the N side by some weak LSB haze out to 10-15". Somewhat asymmetric.

NGC 988 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 35m 28.0s Dec: -09 21' 25"
Mag: 10.9 (V) S.B.: 10.4 B-V: +0.41 Size: 5.3'x1.8' Class: SB(s)cd:
P.A.: 112 Inclination: --- R.V.: +1455 Source: RC3 *

This eg is difficult to see due to a 7th mag * (79 Ceti) being superimposed a little NW of the geometric centre. Appears like a an eccentric halo to that star in about PA 150, out to about 1.5' x 20" of very LSB with no apparent central brightening or structure.

NGC 1015 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 38m 11.5s Dec: -01 19' 07"
Mag: 13.0 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.0'x1.5' Class: SB(r)a:
P.A.: 16 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +2631 Source: RC3 *

This eg appears to the NNW from a 8th mag * by 7-8', very small but fair SB, probably 50" diameter and round rising slightly to centre where there is a somewhat brighter sub-stellar nucleus or stellaring at centre.

NGC 1032 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 39m 23.7s Dec: +01 05' 37"
Mag: 12.6 (B) S.B.: --- B-V: +1.00 Size: 3.3'x1.1' Class: S0/a sp
P.A.: 68 Inclination: 7 R.V.: +2651 Source: RC3 *

This eg makes the 4th corner of a small rectangle with three mag 13 *s, with the eg at the SW point. Pretty easy to see, fair SB, particularly the central areas, elong in PA 60, 2.5 x 30", spindle-shaped halo with very LSB tips/extensions and a slight, broadly concentrated core area that is oval shaped and occasionally appears to have a very faint stellaring at centre.

NGC 1042 RA: 02h 40m 24.0s
Dec: -08 26' 02" Mag: 11.6 (B)
S.B.: --- B-V: +0.54 Size: 5.3'x3.6' Class: SAB(rs)cd
P.A.: 3 Inclination: --- R.V.: +1407 Source: RC3 *

NGC 1048 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 40m 38.0s Dec: -08 32' 01"
Mag: 14.5 (V) S.B.: --- B-V: +0.97 Size: 1.0'x0.2' Class: S0+? sp
P.A.: 101 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

NGC 1048A (PGC 10137) Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 40m 35.6s Dec: -08 32' 49"
Mag: 14.5 (V) S.B.: --- B-V: +0.97 Size: 0.7'x0.3' Class: SBb pec sp
P.A.: 176 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

-42 is a fairly large, roughly round, mod bright galaxy with low S.B. Looks quite diffuse, about 4' diameter. Has 14th mag *s superimposed -- one due N of centre just outside the edge of the halo and a second just inside the edge of the halo in about PA 150. Brightens weakly to centre without zones, core or nucleus apparent. With averted vision and concentration, it seems the halo is weakly mottled or undulates weakly in brightness here and there.

-48 and -48A are about 7' SSE of -42 as a pair of very small to tiny spots of very LSB mist with the Northern most one (-48) a little brighter than the other. They are N-S of each other, about 15" diameter and almost in contact -- about 30" apart. Not hard to see but faint and tiny.

NGC 1035 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 39m 29.0s Dec: -08 07' 57"
Mag: 12.9 (B) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.6'x0.9' Class: SA(s)c?
P.A.: 154 Inclination: --- R.V.: +1250 Source: RC3 *

This is a LSB spindle-shaped quite elong eg found almost at the mid-point of mag 10 & 8*s 12' apart and aligned almost N-S with the brighter at the S end. 2.75' x 30" in PA 150 and has a mag 13.5* just inside the SE tip doing a supernova impression. Exhibits along the axis, weak brightening to centre and across the axis near centre, a broad, slight brightening but no apparent core or nucleus. Pretty.

NGC 1044 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 41m 06.1s Dec: +08 44' 16"
Mag: 14.4 (B) S.B.: --- B-V: +1.20 Size: 0.5' Class: S0-: pec
P.A.: --- Inclination: --- R.V.: +6420 Source: RC3 *

NGC 1046 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 41m 12.8s Dec: +08 43' 09"
Mag: 14.8 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 0.5'x0.5' Class: S0-:
P.A.: --- Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

This pair are 13' N of a 7th mag * that is very distracting and needs to be excluded form the field. The two are just 1.5' apart with -46 1.5' away in PA 135 from -44. Both are faint, small objects, maybe only 30" across with -44 slightly the brighter and is probably weakly elong in PA 135. Both brighten broadly and slightly to centre but I see no other apparent structure. There is a 15th mag * that is intermittently visible, 1' SE of -46.

NGC 1045 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 40m 29.2s Dec: -11 16' 38"
Mag: 12.9 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.3'x1.2'
Class: SA0- pec? P.A.: 63 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

Appears due S by 6' from an 11th mag * and is easy to see, small, round, 50"-1' diameter, brightens mod and evenly to centre where you can occasionally see a stellaring or sub-stellar nucleus. Overall possesses pretty good S.B considering its size. The longer you look, that stellaring in the centre can be held continuously with A.V and looks faint *ar.

NGC 1076 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 43m 29.1s Dec: -14 45' 17"
Mag: 13.1 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.9'x1.0' Class: SB0/a pec?
P.A.: 99 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

No worse than mod faint, spindle shaped eg in about PA 90 pointing to the E where there is an 11th mag * 6' distant. Seems to 1.5 x 20" in PA 90, grows weakly along the axis to centre where there is a largish, oval slightly brighter core zone that grows further to the centre but without apparent nucleus. Pretty good SB overall.

NGC 1073 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 43m 40.5s Dec: +01 22' 34"
Mag: 11.5 (B) S.B.: 14.4 B-V: +0.50 Size: 4.9'x4.4' Class: SB(rs)c
P.A.: 15 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +1209 Source: RC3 *

This eg appears to the NE of a nearly Eq Tri of mags 10 & 11 *s about 6' a side. Faint and quite LSB diffuse looking eg, 3.5 - 4' diameter, round with a very LSB misty halo that exhibits a very small, elong core/nucleus in PA 60 maybe 20" x 10" only weakly brighter than the halo. With concentration it occasionally seems the halo is very weakly blotchy or mottled but difficult to say exactly where the undulations are.

NGC 1137 Galaxy *
RA: 02h 54m 02.7s Dec: +02 57' 43"
Mag: 13.2 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.1'x1.2' Class: (R')SA(rs)b
P.A.: 20 Inclination: 4 R.V.: +3004 Source: RC3 *

This is a small mod faint eg which is slightly elong in PA 30, maybe 1' x 40" lowish SB, oval outline with a tiny, somewhat elong weakly brighter core zone at centre. Not hard to see though.

NGC 1143 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 55m 09.8s Dec: -00 10' 41"
Mag: 14.1 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 0.9'x0.7' Class: Ring A
P.A.: 110 Inclination: --- R.V.: +8459 Source: RC3 *

NGC 1144 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 02h 55m 11.9s Dec: -00 10' 58"
Mag: 13.8 (B) S.B.: 13.0 B-V: +0.83 Size: 1.0'x0.6' Class: Ring B
P.A.: 130 Inclination: ---R.V.: +8647 Source: RC3 *

These two small eg are found SE by 11' from a buttery-coloured 7th mag * (SAO 130181) that is highly distracting and should be excluded from the field to permit best observation. The two share a common, peanut-shaped envelope in PA 135, 1.5' x 40" containing two nuclear condensations at the NW and SE ends. The two condensations are separated by about 1' and roughly equal in brightness, -44 (at the SE end) is possibly slightly the brighter.

NGC 1211 Galaxy *
RA: 03h 06m 52.5s Dec: -00 47' 41"
Mag: 13.3 (B) S.B.: 12.9 B-V: +0.92 Size: 2.1'x1.8' Class: (R)SB(r)0/a
P.A.: 30 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +3199 Source: RC3 *

This eg is a very small fat oval shape in about PA 120, about 40" x 20" growing broadly and moderately to centre and the central areas have pretty good SB but there is no apparent defined core/nucleus. Overall has fair SB and not too hard to see.

NGC 1218 Galaxy *
RA: 03h 08m 26.2s Dec: +04 06' 41"
Mag: 13.8 (B) S.B.: 13.2 B-V: +1.15 Size: 1.2'x0.9'Class: S0/a
P.A.: 155 Inclination: 2 R.V.: +8644 Source: RC3 *

A pretty plain-jane small lowish SB eg in a faint field. Possible elong in PA 150, 40 x 30" mod low SB and at centre is a very faint stellaring.

NGC 1219 Galaxy *
RA: 03h 08m 28.2s Dec: +02 06' 30"
Mag: 13.8 (B) S.B.: 13.4 B-V: +0.82 Size: 1.2'x1.1' Class: SA(s)bc:
P.A.: 56 Inclination: 1 R.V.: +6101 Source: RC3 *

Again in a quite thin field, this is a small mod faint eg that looks very soft or diffuse 1' diameter, round gossamer halo brightening at best weakly to centre but has no apparent core or nucleus.

Best,

L.
Your tireless ngcles it seems!!
Though you look rather tired in your pic?
Im going to try for some of these myself at a house I have with 5acres in Castelreagh , near Sydney soon enough!
Cheers bigjoe.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24-01-2017, 09:08 PM
ngcles's Avatar
ngcles
The Observologist

ngcles is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Billimari, NSW Central West
Posts: 1,569
Hi BigJoe,

There's a bit of a story behind that. This was taken by a friend during a flight from Hangzhou to Xian in China when we were there for the solar eclipse in 2009.

The previous night was straight from hell. I awoke at 1am suffered projectile vomiting and jet-powered diarrhoea continuously for the next six hours. There were many times when I didn't know which end to stick down the toilet. By 4am I honestly began to wonder whether I could die. By 6am I began to hope I would die. By the time we got on the bus to transfer to the airport at 8am I was sure I would disgrace myself, but just made it to the loo there. Got on the aeroplane and almost instantly fell asleep from exhaustion and dehydration. Made it to the hotel in Xian and threw up in the urinal in the foyer. Slept the next 18 hours ...

There were four others on the trip who all ate at the same sitting of the buffet at the 5-star hotel we stayed at who started vomiting at 1am. There's a conclusion that can be drawn from that I think.

Best,

L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Your tireless ngcles it seems!!
Though you look rather tired in your pic?
Im going to try for some of these myself at a house I have with 5acres in Castelreagh , near Sydney soon enough!
Cheers bigjoe.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24-01-2017, 10:15 PM
bigjoe's Avatar
bigjoe (Joe)
Registered User

bigjoe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,304
re vomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi BigJoe,

There's a bit of a story behind that. This was taken by a friend during a flight from Hangzhou to Xian in China when we were there for the solar eclipse in 2009.

The previous night was straight from hell. I awoke at 1am suffered projectile vomiting and jet-powered diarrhoea continuously for the next six hours. There were many times when I didn't know which end to stick down the toilet. By 4am I honestly began to wonder whether I could die. By 6am I began to hope I would die. By the time we got on the bus to transfer to the airport at 8am I was sure I would disgrace myself, but just made it to the loo there. Got on the aeroplane and almost instantly fell asleep from exhaustion and dehydration. Made it to the hotel in Xian and threw up in the urinal in the foyer. Slept the next 18 hours ...

There were four others on the trip who all ate at the same sitting of the buffet at the 5-star hotel we stayed at who started vomiting at 1am. There's a conclusion that can be drawn from that I think.

Best,

L.
AH- that explains it. Just being cheaky really. As a matter of fact I only recently came back from Las Vegas where I got a stomach bug (travellers tummy), so I know well how you may have felt .I lost some weight too, usually a good thing.
Anyhow, you have inspired me to have a go at these faint diaphanous glows in the eyepiece; some of them with structure. It will be a welcome addition to just doing doubles and globs etc.
Cheers bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 24-01-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement