ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-11-2020, 10:01 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

On the hunt to borrow an AZ mount for a night

I'm getting set up to image the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction on 21st December. I'll be in a park on Bribie Island that is popular with walkers and the like. I'll have a small crowd of my own plus I am anticipating having to deal with the usual questions and what-not from passers-by. And everyone will want to have a "look". And that is something I can't provide unless I set up another scope for them to use. Because the window of opportunity for this event is very small, I'll be pretty busy one way or another and so it needs to be a scope on a mount that is easy to use and idiot-proof. That means something like an EQ3 or similar with my BD80ED and probably a 12-15m EP. That should keep them off my back for long enough to let me do what I have to do. I guesstimate that, weather permitting, I'll have about 20 minutes to work with and that includes polar aligning.

So I'm on the hunt to borrow a small AZ-type mount from some kind (and trusting) soul nearby to me at Bribie Island in SE Qld.

Peter
Old 22-11-2020, 12:49 PM
JohnF (John)

Have one and would lend or sell it. But I live 12km from Nimbin NSW. Son & daughter-in-law is 25km from Bribie Island @ Caboolture, and go swimming there at Bribie. But I am currently on train home from there.
Old 22-11-2020, 03:04 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Have one and would lend or sell it. But I live 12km from Nimbin NSW. Son & daughter-in-law is 25km from Bribie Island @ Caboolture, and go swimming there at Bribie. But I am currently on train home from there.

Thanks John. I’ve just done the unthinkable and bought one.

Peter