Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Advice on good quiet dark spot near Byron Bay

Hi all.

It's been a while. Finally got the schedule work out nicely to do another astrophotography trip to Australia.

Looking at the date of events, looks like StarStuff II will be organised on 7-8 July 2018. Missed the event last year though.

I was thinking of staying a good 3-4 nights before the conference for some imaging sessions. Any advice on good dark spot around Byron Bay, NSW? Not too far, maybe a 2-hour drive seems reasonable. A simple lodging would be nice. Couldn't find any good info on the web.

Thanks all!

Regards
Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Hi Shah,

I'm not a local so I'm just going from maps etc. Hopefully someone better informed will pipe up.

The term 'dark' is subjective and relative but looking at this map I think you need to be out around Kyogle or further west.

Most small town have a caravan park and these generally have self-contained cabins a bit like this. However the parks themselves often suffer from over-zealous 'safety' lighting.

Farmstays and Bed and Breakfasts (B&Bs) located out of town could be an option, esp probably the B&Bs if you are only staying a few nights. The 'quaint' little town of Nimbin is in a relatively dark spot, has lots of accommodation and the smoke has reportedly cleared a bit these days .

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...es-Hotels.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Touri...s.html#MAPVIEW

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Vacat...n_Rentals.html

I notice also that there is a B&B in the famous little village of Tabulam. which looks to be set well back off the road and away from other buildings. Perhaps a local could give us a review?

Happy photography Shah.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:46 PM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Thanks David,

I was already spoilt by Coonabarabran's sky, having visited there 4 times! Looking by the distance from Byron Bay, I don't think I want to drive another 8-9 hours drive again!

Thanks for the choices. I will study them thoroughly. Not sure about the weather pattern there in July though. Good? Average?