Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 AM
jman17

Will a compact side by side mount with DSLR give flexure issues?

Hi,

I am looking for a relative lightweight mounting system to setup an Orion Ultra Mini 30mm guide scope on a Skywatcher Star Adventurer along with an XYAZ head and DSLR. Teleskop Express has recommended a TS Optics guidemount, an 'ultra compact Vixen GP level dual mount'. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...nfo/p8315.html It's a side by side mounting system and I am worried about flexure issues as I have heard they can be prone to it. I only plan to use a DSLR or CCD with camera lens (up to 300mm) and an Orion xyaz head on it (not a telescope) on it along with the Orion guide scope. Would this dual mount (or a similar good quality product) likely give me issues with flexure? I know it could be harder to balance the mount. If this would likely not give flexure issues can anyone please recommend a good quality dual mount like this that I can get in Australia?

Thanks,
jman17
Old 03-01-2018, 09:31 AM
doppler (Rick)

I don't think that flexure problems are inherent with most mounting systems, but more to do with any movable parts ie guide scope and camera focusers. Any commercial made dual mounting plate should be up to the task.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:51 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

The flexure issues you read about usually refer to two long heavy tubes, eg a large newt for prime focus guided by an 80mm refractor and as Dopler pointed out, components like the arms of a newt spider flexing.

A few points to note :

Side by side (SBS) mounts are usually Losmandy D 75mm dovetails. I think the Star Adventurer is a Vixen narrow 50mm rail. Be careful or you'll order something very expensive that doesn't fit.

The dual SBS and other accessories are relatively heavy and will soon use up a large portion of your mounts limited payload capacity.

Note that most dual SBS setups cost hundreds of dollars.

I would think you should be able to mount the DSLR + lens on a solid tripod head or direct to the mount. The guidescope you mention has position adjustment rings to centre the guide star.

You could buy a short length piece of vixen dovetail V rail($40),

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...ounting-plate/

https://www.myastroshop.com.au/produ...sp?id=MAS-023L

make yourself a box cradle from 19mm pine. Polyurethane coat or paint to waterproof, and bolt a camera on one side and a dovetail finder base ($20) to accept the finder dovetail on the other. Make the box big enough to get your hand in there to loosen the locking screws. Yjis gives you dec adjustment in a lightweight setup, that's probably all that is required and a lot cheaper than a dual SBS.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (star adventurer.jpg)
175.8 KB18 views