Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-12-2017, 05:37 PM
bojan
amateur

Problem with HD access via Netcomm Router

Another problem with my USB drives....
I used to have one of them plugged in my ADSL router USB, access was via
http:\\192.168.1.1\Drive (with password).

Now, I can't access the drive from W'7 Pro.
It is displayed fine from setup web page, and account is OK, I am providing correct ID, but W'7 doesn't see that address at all.
What could be the problem here (assuming HD is physically OK)?
Do I have provide some other steps to enable access?
Old 15-12-2017, 02:08 AM
billdan (Bill)

Can you disable the firewall in W7 temporarily and see if you can access it?

Or can you get to a DOS prompt and ping the address and see where the holdup is.
Old 15-12-2017, 06:51 AM
bojan
amateur

Will try, thank you!
Old 15-12-2017, 07:45 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

your router shoulnt be using the *.1.1 address, dhcp usually assigns that to a local machine and you may a conflict with another connected device using that address. Your router should have an address ending in .255 check your gateway address on your computer, thats the address of your router and trying seeing the usb drive via that address and not the 192.168.*.* range.
Old 15-12-2017, 08:02 AM
bojan
amateur

Hmm...
Router always had that base address (192.168.1.1), and when that address is entered into browser, router web-page is displayed, for setup.
The whole thing worked on my older machine (XP), but now I switched to W'7 pro and problem appeared when I tried to use the same link.

Instructions to setup HD via router are here, I followed them before (it worked) and now (I hope...), and it doesn't work.
Will try as you suggested.

Last edited by bojan; 15-12-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 15-12-2017, 01:35 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Bojan,

First of all, log into your router and check that it can see the USB drive. Also check the USB settings seem OK.

You are correct with how your router is setup with the IP address. The fact that you can log into your router proves that.

In one of the above replies there was a mention about "your router shoulnt be using the *.1.1 address" THIS IS NOT CORRECT, so ignore that comment. Each router can be setup differently to the other.

So if your Win7 PC just worked normally when you first plugged it into the router then all good as the router would have automatically assigned an IP address via DHCP.

Looking at the manual from your link, you need to setup a username and password for the USB drive which you indicate that you have already done. Can you put in some new details in case you have forgotten the current ones. Unless you are absolutely sure you remember them.

This is different to the username and password that you log into your router.

The manual then states to type in the IP address for your router using Microsoft Explorer, (not Internet explorer), (only the IP address, no drive names), and then if you put in the username and password you setup in the USB drive settings, then you should have access. The router seems to detect which access you need via the username and password. ie: Router settings vs External USB settings.

From the manual:
====================
Accessing USB hard drive Connected to NB604N using a Windows PC

Now exit out from the NetComm router’s WEB Interface page and open up the “Windows Explorer” and
type \\192.168.1.1 on the top address bar.
Note: Windows Explorer is different from the Internet Explorer. You can open a Windows Explorer by
opening Computer or Documents.
=================================== ============

Use \\192.168.1.1 Don't use http://192.168.1.1

Then see how you go.

Also can you plug the USB drive directly into your computer as a test that it just works?

The other thing also could be what was mentioned in a previous reply which is the firewall settings.

Let me know how you go and what steps you take.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 15-12-2017, 01:41 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
your router shoulnt be using the *.1.1 address, dhcp usually assigns that to a local machine and you may a conflict with another connected device using that address. Your router should have an address ending in .255 check your gateway address on your computer, thats the address of your router and trying seeing the usb drive via that address and not the 192.168.*.* range.
Some comments...
  • Do not end the IP in .255, this last IP address is used for broadcasting, not as an address.
  • The 192.168.*.* range is a private address space and therefore a firewall, by default will not block them.
  • Use of the 192.168.1.1 is fine fro all routers as the address will not be offered via DHCP if it is already in use
  • use of the UNC \\ is only possible if the router is being served via Samba, if it is not on, then you will have to access the drive via the web service using http.
  • your manual states (Pg. 5) that the use of the UNC is the correct way to access your drive, therefore Samba is being utilized (i.e. via \\192.168.1.1)
Old 15-12-2017, 04:47 PM
bojan
amateur

No joy...
Router works fine, and I have everything as per data sheet (so router detects HD and even shows free space on it) except access to HDrive via explorer, see attachment.
HD is fully accessible via other comp (running XP), my TV settopbox and TV as well. So it should be OK.. at least in principle (unless something ""un-important" is corrupted and W'7 doesn't like just that)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 15 16.44.jpg)
29.5 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 15 16.46.jpg)
73.2 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (ScreenHunter_03 Dec. 15 16.47.jpg)
70.8 KB8 views

Last edited by bojan; 15-12-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 15-12-2017, 11:34 PM
redbeard (Damien)

If the USB drive works well on the other Operating Systems, I'm guessing that you still need a username and a password for them and all is well. So all good there.

What I suggest now is to create a user account on your Win 7 PC that is exactly the same as the username and account for the USB on the router. Make the user an administrator.

That way both accounts will match the same username and password and hopefully will work.

I say this as I didn't have a lot of issues when I used XP etc, and connecting to other drives was fairly simple. But Win7 has a greater level of security and therefore more of a pain it the Aas when it comes to the network stuff.
I have found in similar situations that this works as the credentials match.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 16-12-2017, 12:03 AM
redbeard (Damien)

Um, I just noticed that the path in the explorer box, (from your 1st attached image), is referencing your computer name ASTRA_1-HP\Hadar and not the router USB name.

Try usb4_1\Hadar , as the router USB drive is not on your PC. That's the info in your 2nd attached image. Or even the IP \\192.168.1.1\Hadar

Perhaps changing the path or connect as a different user and put the correct path in there.

Keep plugging.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 18-12-2017, 07:02 AM
bojan
amateur

I can't change the path, the only thing I can do is enter the account name (Hadar in my case) and password, the rest is generated by OS (and it looks different for w'7 and XP, the path presented by XP one has wods "usb4_1".

Oh well.. it seems something happened at router side, because the whole setup used to work a year ago when I used it last time, and now it doesn't.
Old 18-12-2017, 09:43 AM
bojan
amateur

I had a look at Netcomm web site re f/w update..
It seems there used to be an issue with Samba protocol, apparently fixed in 2015.

Anyway, it seems I need to check f/w version, and upgrade if needed.
Old 18-12-2017, 04:59 PM
bojan
amateur

Well...
After firmware update, success... both HD's are accessible via router.
Now, the only thing required is to sort direct USB access.