Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 15-07-2017, 09:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Bob thanks for your interesting input.
I like your approach.
Alex
Old 15-07-2017, 09:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Boozelfoot
What you have in mind sounds great.
In reflection the challenge building a dome got me interested.
Plus I just love doing stuff with fibre glass.
I can lay it and end up with a smooth finish via a little trick I came up with when repairing my old, now gone boat.
The rocks will almost certainly heat up so that may be an issue.
Oh its fun.
Thank you for your input and all the best with your set up.
Alex
Old 16-07-2017, 07:17 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've got a dome set up and it's definitely great to be able to have a nice area to work in and not be completely exposed to the elements. It's got some areas where I can store stuff and use a computer, etc easily.

However, when I retire and/or shift to a darker site, I'm going to set up a RoR (either as a replacement or addition). For me, the biggest drawback of the dome is I can only set up one mount at a time. At a minimum I want to set up 2, but I'd like 3 or more (Refractor, RC and Solar scopes). I want them setup and not have to take things off/on all the time. I want to use multiple scopes at the same time for different purposes.
Old 16-07-2017, 08:13 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Chris
You raise an interesting aspect.
I have done a little solar work but it never occurred to me to have a permanent set up.
Thank you for your thoughts I really like the idea of two mounts.
Alex
Old 16-07-2017, 08:47 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thinking about it a little more.
I resisted the urge to get a 16 inch dob but having a permanent set up makes it appealing.
I mean how good to have the camera running in the photo rig and enjoying some visual observation.
Alex
Old 16-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Nebulous (Chris)

Alex, have you considered taking a leaf out of the "Tiny House" book and building something completely mobile?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...9909243E6A78C5

The general idea has been around for centuries - from the old horse drawn gypsy caravans through to modern living vans and mobile homes. But the 'Tiny House' mob build something that often looks like a small cabin in the woods but built in on a wheeled chassis.

You could get an old prime mover and semi-trailer which would have enough room for a Tiny House at one end of the trailer and a dedicated observatory at the other. You could then trundle slowly round the country and visit us all.

I've built myself a couple of smallish houses (one of which has only two rooms and we lived in for two years while a built a bigger one) but I rather fancy a fully mobile version with an attached observatory. Unfortunately I may be getting to old to execute the plan this time though...

I forgot to put the wheels on this one... but it was a great home for two years. The lean-to back section is only half the width of the front room, but it still made a good bedroom. Now it’s my workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Shed01b.jpg)
159.8 KB34 views
Old 16-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Nebulous (Chris)

Perhaps you could even combine it with your interest in shipping containers?

They convert old shipping containers into dongas for mine sites, so why not a semi trailer with a permanent container on it that was half living quarters and half observing space? Cover the top, and maybe part of the sides, with solar panels, and, well.... the sky's the limit...
Old 16-07-2017, 12:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Chris
Needless to say I have a tiny house design with what I think is a great idea...a fold up roof to give standing headroom in the bedroom loft area.

I have a chassis set aside but at the moment can't see doing anything in the tiny house department.

I am not interested in travelling around.

That's my problem at the moment...three different places where I live or visit.

A relative has recently completed a shipping container home and it looks more like a mansion than anything I have seem. Magnificent.
And I have been pricing them lately.
The appeal for me is their resistance to fire and termites.

I love your house.

Having lived on my boat for a while I learnt one needs very little space.

I have been trying to simplify my living for ages but family sees me strung between Sydney and Tabulam and unfortunately my hermit lifestyle has disappeared.

I have been putting everyone else before my desires...still I did get a ten year run where astronomy was 24 / 7 ...

Thanks for sharing your ideas and the photo of you great little house.

Alex