ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Belt & Sword

We've been having a few good clear nights down in Melbourne this week, coinciding with the new moon for a change. Unfortunately, I start work early so sessions starting at 10.30pm and finishing about 12.00am is not a good mix. The nights have also been on the warmish side which is creating an increase in noise for my sensor. I tried increasing my subs to 4 mins and took only 5 to see if it would help to keep the sensor cooler, rather than taking thirty 40 second subs. I don't know whether this improved things because there is still a lot of noise.

I've heard that using AC power rather than the battery can help with keeping the sensor cooler but I don't know if the comparison has been documented.

So this is a shot on Tuesday night of the belt and sword in Orion taken with an old Pentax K mount 135mm f3.5 prime lens on a modded Canon 550d using a CLS CCD clip in filter. I stopped down to f5.6 to help minimize lens aberrations. I ended up with 5 x 4 min subs at 800 iso unguided on a HEQ5 pro mount from light polluted Melbourne.

Anyone got any other ideas of how to keep a camera sensor from getting too warm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BeltSword.jpg)
196.8 KB89 views

Last edited by Mickoid; 19-01-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 18-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Imme (Jon)

Hi mick.ive got a peltier and heat exchanger sitting in the study I was going to experiment with. Plan was to build a very light aluminium box to house a camera in and cool it with the peltier. Some say it does, some say it doesn’t work but my thought is any reduction in temp is a good thing.....even if you get 5 degrees at the sensor it is prob the difference between shooting in spring as opposed to the middle of summer.
Old 19-01-2018, 12:11 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

No idea. But that's a really nice wide angle of the area.

Or can you have a longer gap between subs. Does that help ?
Old 19-01-2018, 08:04 AM
PKay (Peter)

Move to Antartica

Good framing.
Old 19-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Move to Antartica

Good framing.
That's ridiculous Peter, Orion will be too low on the horizon to photograph from down there.
Old 19-01-2018, 11:04 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Several of us on here have gone down the 'cool box' path and to put it bluntly they have a minimal and very short term effect. The only real solution is a cooled sensor but that is a bit more complicated to implement.
The problem with the cool box is the sensor heats up locally regardless and there is no effective thermal path for it to escape. Only a copper or Alum 'finger' parked behind the sensor can transfer sufficient heat away and maintain a reasonably even temp across the back of the sensor.
You might actually do better to buy one of the smaller OSC astro cameras and add your own peltier system. I modded my ASI 120mc quite effectively, the metal case is the key to it. I've since moved onto an 1600mm-cooled so it has been relegated to the guide scope without the cooler.
Old 19-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Imme (Jon)

Agree with what you say Brent, however cooler weather does result in cooler sensors doesn't it?
I guess my take on it is that if you create your own cooler atmosphere (meaning a peltier cooled box) then it has to have some effect.

I like your idea of cooling a OSC like a ZWO though.....very smart thinking
Old 20-01-2018, 01:04 AM
raymo

Yes, a cooler atmosphere does equal a cooler sensor, but not enough
cooler to begin to make a noticeable reduction to the noise in your images
until the ambient temperature gets down to around 5 or 6 degrees.
Even at 5 or 6 degs you need to give your sensor some time to cool down between subs, or it will just get hotter and hotter as the session goes on.
raymo
Old 20-01-2018, 09:01 AM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Anyone got any other ideas of how to keep a camera sensor from getting too warm?
Camera's with a flip screen seem to work best with external cooling because the cooling module is fitted to the back of the camera, directly behind the sensor("Martin Pyott" external peltier cooler)
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...t=cooling+dslr