Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Observation notes 6/1

Had a great night last night - excellent transparency and seeing and no work on today.

Browsed some of the Feb challenge objects, alas NGC 1291 occulted by trees, but saw the cone nebula and the storm on Saturn and, no surprises, some great bits of the LMC. I did discover that some objects were missing from Chart 5 and have added about half a dozen things, so if you use these you might want to get the latest version of chart 5 (labelled) at http://www.cloudsofmagellan.net.au/index.htm

Here are the notes for those who like that kind of thing. Thanks for reading.

Telescope 410mm (16”) f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Celestron 15x70 binoculars
Navigation: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG) + my own charts of LMC Chart (#5 in particular) available at http://www.cloudsofmagellan.net.au/index.htm

Directions for LMC obs adjusted for rotation – hence north means north when the galaxy is at its highest.

Seeing good at start of session 2/5 then excellent 1/5
Transparency superb 7/7

Strong zodiacal light

NGC 2244 and NGC 2237-9 OC and emission nebula in Monoceros "the Rosette Nebula"

Obvious as glow to naked eye. In binoculars (as well as finderscope) the central cluster NGC 2444 is very bright and clear with a large circle of haze occupying much of the FOV. What is not apparent is the dark area in the centre of the nebula. About a dozen of the bright cluster stars form a narrow SE-NW rectangle. Through the telescope at 80X (1 degree TFOV) many cluster stars are visible. In the centre there is a delicate s-shaped asterism of faint stars curving near one of the bright members. To the east of that star is a very sweet, close double of fainter stars. The centre of the cluster is cleared of nebulosity, the surrounding annulus of which spills well beyond the FOV of 1 degree I estimate at least 1.5 degrees diameter.

NGC 2264 OC in Monoceros “ the Christmas Tree cluster”

There are quite a few Christmas tree shaped asterisms in this neck of the woods! Some have more distinct shapes than the actual Christmas Tree cluster, but they don’t have the decorations. 80X Quite a few bright stars form this cluster and there is a lot of nebulosity at the northern end (the base of the tree). Looks about 30’x20’. Extending south of the apex of the cluster is a faint area of darkness that is indeed cone shaped – not that you’d note it if you weren’t looking for it and hadn’t seen pictures. The base of the cone is to the south. 175X the cone can still be but is not clearer, appears a couple of minutes long. The view is not improved by UHC filter.

NGC 2261 Hubble’s Variable Nebula

175X Indeed looks very like a comet heading north, appears about 3’ long and 2’ wide at the base. A little star is visible at the point of the nebula. Stands out with UHC filter and a few darks cracks appear in the nebula. OIII filter kills the nebula completely. 250X A little more detail is visible in the tail.

Off to the LMC…

Starting at 63 Dorado,

Three distinct areas of nebulosity are seen with 40’ FOV to the north of 63 Dorado. The northernmost is Henize emission nebula N64 complex (A-C) and the southernmost area is not labelled on the chart (subsequent checking does not reveal a designation for this object)

Henize Emission Nebula N64 Emission nebula in LMC

135X This nebula is marked in three parts. It appears to have two very obvious separated sections – N64C to the north and N64 A&B to the south, closer to 63 Dor. The distinction between parts A & B is not obvious. Scattered throughout the nebula complex is an ear-shape of resolvable stars against a similar shape of soft nebulosity. Appears to span about 10’x5’. 175X Not much changes. With a UHC filter, there is a slight dark patch between parts A & B but not really enough to make them 2 sections visually. The ear shape remains obvious but the space enclosed by the ear looks more milky than without the filter.

To the west is N62

Henize Emission Nebula N62 Emission nebula in LMC

135X This nebula is in two obvious sections A to the south and B to the north. N62A is a thin E-W ellipse of luminance and a few resolvable stars. The nebulosity darkens on the northern side of the nebula in the centre section so it looks like a small chunk has been taken out of it. Appears about 8’x3’. N62B is a very faint thin N-S strand of nebulosity with just a few resolvable stars, looks about 10’x2’. 175X Part A becomes more distinct but B remains quite faint. With UHC filter Part A looks like a mini version of NGC 253. 62B stays much the same.

Shapley/Lindsay 553 + Henize nebula N55 OC + Emission nebula in LMC

135x Quite a large area of luminosity with many resolvable stars, looks about 10’x5’ with 2 large round poles at north and south with a thin waist. To the east is a small projection from the waist back towards 63 Dor. 175X Dark lanes become visible, forming an X shape. With UHC filter, some of the eastern projection disappears and the whole thing looks more peanut shaped.

To the west is

NGC 2003 OC in LMC

135X A small E-W ellipse of stars and haze, looks about 2’x0.5’ 175X quite grainy with 2 bright components within an elliptical halo. UHC filter makes it look bigger but the two bright areas become less distinct.

NGC 1978 OC in LMC

175X A lovely soft slightly elliptical glow elongated SE-NW with no distinct core. Somewhat brighter in the centre fading gently to a soft edge against velvety black sky. Looks about 3’x2’.

Following a line from N55 through NGC 1978 I come to 2 faint blobs of light,
SL 463 and N49

Shapley/Lindsay 463 OC in LMC

175X Small and faint with a bright point (star?) in the centre. Looks about 0.5’ diameter. Barely visible with UHC filter.

Henize nebula N49 Emission nebula in LMC

175x Irregular nebulosity, possibly triangular about 3’ across and some dark lanes within. A little fainter and thinner with UHC filter.

Henize nebula N48 Emission nebula in LMC

175X A large and complex area of nebulosity and stars. The edges are quite hard to define, but the bulk of it looks at least 10’x7’. It is elongated N-S and has a central patch of stars and haze surrounded by a wider darker region and then an outer elliptical ring of stars and haze. With UHC filter the dark ring around the brighter centre is less distinct as is the tract of nebulosity to the south. Quite interesting and impressive.

It’s quite hard to judge where N48 ends and the complex around NGC 1948-1945 begins. Exploring this area has lead me to improve chart 5 adding 5 new DSOs

NGC 1945 Emission nebula in LMC

175X At the southern end of a long strand of nebulosity extending south from N48 is NGC 1945, a bright knot of light in a diffuse area of nebulosity. Brightens with UHC filter.

NGC 1946 OC in LMC

175X This is a bright 1’ diameter knot in the tract of nebulosity that stretches from N48 to NGC 1945. No stars are resolvable.

NGC 1925 OC + Emission nebula in LMC

135X Quite a complex and large area of stars and nebulosity, tracing out a N-S Y shape of luminance and stars with the top of the Y pointing south and an E-W line across the base of the Y. There is quite a brightening at the junction of the Y. It appears to be about 15’ across.

NGC 1882 OC in LMC

175X About 7’ to the west of an asterism that looks like a tiny version of Crux, this is a faint slightly irregular N-S ellipse of haze slightly convex to the west with no resolvable stars. Looks about 2’x1’.

NGC 1887 OC in LMC

175X About 14’ south of 1882, this appears a little larger but about the same brightness, no resolvable stars, just a slightly irregular glow against a dark sky.

Heading a little to the west is

NGC 1867 OC in LMC

175X Quite a faint even glow, very hard to find the soft edges, no distinct core, just a gradual fading from the centre to the darkness around. About 1’ dia. but hard to tell.

Further west is

NGC 1849 OC in LMC

175X Very faint 1’ circlet of haze, brighter in the centre with soft edges. A little equilateral triangle of stars points to the OC and just to the east is a bright star.

NGC 1902 OC in LMC

175X Fairly bright small OC with distinct core slightly offset to the NW. Looks about 1’ across and brighter at its northern edge. No resolvable stars but a slightly grainy appearance.

NGC 1915’s position and nature seems to be uncertain according to NGC/IC Project site and this fits with me not being able to find anything of note at the designated spot.

NGC 1920 OC + Emission nebula in LMC

175X A distinct circle of haze appearing a bit more than 1’ diameter, brightening with UHC filter.

NGC 1919 OC + Emission nebula in LMC

175X Just to the south of 1920, this is a larger but quite faint haze, making it hard to find the edges. I estimate 5’x3’. More distinct with UHC filter, longer N-S and slightly box shaped.

I say farewell to the LMC for the evening and browse some old favourites with excellent seeing Eta Carinae and its nebula, the Gem cluster, Omega Centauri all looking spectacular. And then I see Saturn peeping above the trees to the east and…

Saturn

135X Being fairly low in the sky, higher magnification was useless, but the planet was stunning at this mag, with clear view of the rings noticeably more inclined than lat year and…. the storm. A distinct bright streak stretching from the western limb most of the way to the planet’s midline. Yip-yoo.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Crickey Paddy you sure had a big night after reading that list.
Its quite impessive and a good selection of objects.
Loved the read and descriptions as well

Cheers Kev.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Kev!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnool View Post
Crickey Paddy you sure had a big night after reading that list.
Its quite impessive and a good selection of objects.
Loved the read and descriptions as well

Cheers Kev.
I second these sentiments, Paddy.

It is quite a session you had. Marvelous, detailed report. Very enjoyable to read, mate.

Mental.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Great report there Patrick a great nights observing Topped off by seeing the storm on Saturn
I was wondering when anyone else was going to get a visual observation as well as me
Cheers
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Alex & Ron. 'Twas very exciting to see the storm. I was amazed at how clear it was even at low viewing altitude. Highly recommend looking for it to those who've yet to see it.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 AM
pgc hunter

You certainly took advantage of that night! Shame it had to come on the LAST night of the uni holidays, naturally. Well done on seeing the Cone Nebula! Top stuff.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Great report Patrick,

There some faint Globular Clusters near or in LMC have you observed them? maybe something to try at Snake Valley!

Again your reports are great thanks for sharing.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks, Dave. I've got notes so far on four of the LMC objects that are classed as GCs on the NGC/IC project site. I plan to get detailed notes on all the LMC objects on my charts eventually ( so far about 110 out of 470 odd) and will do some of this at Snake Valley. Of the GCs I've done NGCs 1953,2257, 1903 and 1916 so far. Would be easy to focus on GCs at SV. Glad to see that you're coming by the way!