Old 13-04-2013, 07:06 PM
TheAstroChannel (Sean)

Exclamation Orion starshoot | Can't see anything :(

G'day to all, i recently bought the Orion Starshoot IV and I'm having some trouble. I took it out last night for a spin, centered Saturn in the eyepiece (20mm) Then swapped out the eyepiece for the Camera, but when i looked at the live capture, i could see nothing. I would like a solution to this!! :/

Thanks to anyone that can help
Old 13-04-2013, 09:02 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

You could wait for the moon to get fuller in a few days or try focusing on a distant target during the day. The ep you used may focus in a diff spot to the webcam
Old 13-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

ep and the ccd chip do focus on different points you my need an extension tube to achieve focus for the camera.
Old 14-04-2013, 05:42 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Try using the focus, up your gain and brightness to the max until focused then back them off to show detail You shouldn't need an extension though if you do you can unscrew the front of a barlow and use the body as one. Find a very bright star or plantet like Jupiter or Saturn or moon, it will look like a faint doughnut till you have it focused. Having the gain and brightness all the way up and the longest exposure possible will help with first finding something to focus on like a planet or star.

Also please use the beginners section as this section is reserved more much more complex issues and discussion of equipment. You can also use the search feature of the forum to see if this question already has a thread and answer.

Last edited by 2stroke; 14-04-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 14-04-2013, 06:29 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post

Also please use the beginners section as this section is reserved more much more complex issues and discussion of equipment.
Hi,

Is this really the case Jay? I missed that also. Where does it say that? I'm puzzled how this comes about.

Cheers
Old 14-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Hi Sean, Nothing wrong with posting it here, seems more than reasonable question, no matter what skill level.

What scope are you using the camera in? I am not familiar with the starshoot, but I know with my 900NC I had to actually rack the focus in a little more to get focus, not out... I could tell you what I did next but I don't think we know enough yet to warrant getting out the hacksaw

Also as mentioned before maybe try a brighter object as the moon or a distant tree or powerline (during the day), it could have been that Saturn wasn't quite in the centre of the FOV and you missed it. My 900NC camera is almost comparable to a 6mm EP. Thats a bit of a difference from a 20mm EP. So it may be you missed Saturn in the FOV. The Starshoot maybe slightly different, but I am just trying to throw different ideas in your direction for you to try, I hope that is okay.

Good luck with your quest. I hope you get it working.
Old 14-04-2013, 07:26 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
Hi,

Is this really the case Jay? I missed that also. Where does it say that? I'm puzzled how this comes about.

Cheers

I've got nothing against him asking though it kinda goes against having a whole beginners section of this forum? why do we have it? maybe its for questions and answers new to AP people ask over and over again and can quickly get help from already posted thread such as how do i get focus with my 900nc ect, are you still puzzled? It's common sense and keeps the forum organized and maintains it as a useful tool for answer's.

By the way that post was a useful response to the thread? Why not contribute instead of post sarcastic post's at people trying to help out community members.

Last edited by 2stroke; 14-04-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 15-04-2013, 09:26 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstroChannel View Post
G'day to all, i recently bought the Orion Starshoot IV and I'm having some trouble. I took it out last night for a spin, centered Saturn in the eyepiece (20mm) Then swapped out the eyepiece for the Camera, but when i looked at the live capture, i could see nothing. I would like a solution to this!! :/

I had the same problem but with the NexImage 5. Saturn was centered with the 25mm eyepiece and just off centre with a 9mm. I put a 2x Barlow with the camera and I could not find it at all on the computer. I cheated a bit by moving my OTA around a bit (because of the type of scope it doesn't stay 100% solid) and found it.

What I would try and do next time is when aligning your telescope use your low power eyepiece (25-20mm) as usual but before finishing take that eyepiece out, put the camera (with the Barlow or whatever you are using) in and then centre Saturn.
Old 15-04-2013, 07:53 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Sean - it could also be a software or driver issue, or how you have set up your capture software. have you confirmed that the camera is working - like if you hold the camera up to a light does the software pick up the light or is it still all black?
Old 15-04-2013, 09:24 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstroChannel View Post

Hi Sean,
Agree with others, could be settings, If you set the Starshoot exposure to 1 sec, with the rest @ default, it should capture any naked eye star;
On the other point, Re: extension, this should also be taken into the equation, I use my Starshoot with an ED80 refractor, but I also need an extension to get focus, in which I use a 90deg angle, adding approx 40-50mm ! But this will no doubt be different between scopes, Dobs, cassegrains etc ?
Also, if focusing by hand, do it slowely, ie, 1/4 turn every 3-4secs, this will allow the image to settle.
Hope this helps ,,
Old 16-04-2013, 10:35 AM
TheAstroChannel (Sean)

Can't believe i got this many reply's, i shall try these methods tonight hopefully, and the scope i use is a Skywatcher 130mm GOTO reflector. and also, what would i use as an extension tube?

thanks!
Old 16-04-2013, 10:54 AM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

I wouldn't have thought you would need an extension tube with a reflector - i didn't need one when I used my QHY5 (which is very similar to a Starshoot autoguider) in my newt. However if you need one: http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...7/catmenu.aspx

I'd be looking at the settings on the camera first, and confirm that the camera is communicating properly with your computer. If you shine a torch at the sensor of the Starshoot, it should show up on the display on the pc screen.