Old 30-06-2011, 12:29 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

Obs report - 24,25 June

I have enjoyed some clear nights over the weekend and actually managed to get outside for some of them

Friday 24th.
At home in my light poluted backyard.
The weather was clearing during the day and stayed clear for the night.

Tried again to get some Saturn images but no real improvement on previous efforts.

I then spent quite a bit of time trying to track down M83 again after my interupted view a few weeks earlier. I didn't find it but it was good just to be out looking at things before the dew got me again.

Saturday 25th. Tooperang.
During the day I made my shroud and end cover properly so I was ready for a big night out. I will post separately on this.

I arrived at the site about 7pm, there were several others already setting up. There was a light breeze but nothing to cause a problem. The sky was nice and clear. Some of my notes were brief so I will have to rely on memory.

All obs with the 10" Lightbridge 26mm and 15mm EP.

Messier 65, Spiral Galaxy in Leo, 25/06/2011 7:26:06 PM
Getting a bit low in the NW and the direction of the glow of Adelaide. Bright core visible and an overall elongated shape no other structure distinguishable.

Messier 66, Spiral Galaxy in Leo, 25/06/2011 7:27:55 PM
M66 in the same view a bit brighter and larger.

Messier 61, Spiral Galaxy in Virgo, 25/06/2011 7:52:43 PM
Despite the appearance of a clear sky this one seemed to be hiding in some very light high cloud but still visible. Hint of some structure but difficult to make it out.

Messier 49, Elliptical Galaxy in Virgo, 25/06/2011 8:02:42 PM
This one was also a bit murky as it too was sinking into the west.

Messier 83, Spiral Galaxy in Hydra, 25/06/2011 8:30:42 PM
This is the one I really wanted to see. It was high overhead and managed to find it this time without too much trouble. There was still some moisture in the air so was not as clear as it could have been.

The bright core was oval shaped and I could see two big spiralling arms wrapping around this which reach out to nearby stars that framed the view. I did a sketch of this one but I'll put that in the sketch thread.

Messier 7, Open Cluster in Scorpius, 25/06/2011 8:53:00 PM
Now looking SE the sky was a bit clearer I stopped in on this favourite for a quick look. My daughter thought it looked like a dog.

NGC 6231, Open Cluster in Scorpius, 25/06/2011 8:55:04 PM
This bright OC was easy to find and a pleasure to look at.

Messier 4, Globular Cluster in Scorpius, 25/06/2011 8:58:58 PM
Big bright GC dense at core but some stars resoved all through. Outer fringes look like spiral arms of stars being flung off.

Sombrero Galaxy - Messier 104, Spiral Galaxy in Virgo, 25/06/2011 9:05:46 PM
Back over to the west and still a bit murky. Not the best view of this object.

Lagoon Nebula - Messier 8, Bright Nebula in Sagittarius, 25/06/2011 9:19:31 PM
What can I say, just sectacular! Big expanse of nebulosity clearly visible. The dark lane running through the middle visually separating the OC NGC6530 on one side and the brighter portion of the nebula on the other.

Trifid Nebula - Messier 20, Bright Nebula in Sagittarius, 25/06/2011 9:20:46 PM
Dark lines visible from the edges through middle which give this nebula its distinctive shape.

Coffee break and then I was joined by another member and I stopped taking notes. We found a few object but did spend quite a lot of time hunting NGC6804 a planetary nebula in Aquila. We didn't find it but had fun all the same.

Finished up the night with
Dumbbell Nebula - Messier 27, Planetary Nebula in Vulpecula, 26/06/2011 1:11:38 AM
Very clear, the sky had improved throughout the night. Had the look of an hour glass to it.
Then went for quick walk around to see what others were doing but was getting tired so packed up about 2am and was home in bed about 3am.

I think the early breeze kept most of the dew away but I think the shroud and end cover also helped, I did not have a problem all night.

Last edited by michaellxv; 02-07-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 30-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Nice descriptions Michael. I know what you mean by the high altitude moisture and galaxies! You did well with M83. I do like the strands that come off M4 - well described.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM
orestis

Nice set of Obs Michael,

M83 is quite a show isn't it.I remeber the first time I had a look I had to squint to see the spiral structure but the more times I visit it the easier it has become for me to discern the spiral structure.

Regards Orestis